Purigen. good? bad ? thoughts please

BanZI29

Still just a reefer noob!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
wanted to get some thoughts on seachem purigen. good or bad? use with a fuge or no fuge?
Seachem-Laboratories-Purigen-100mL-Bag-99.jpg

Zach B

Noo-Psyche Sales Rep
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
We run purigen 24/7. I like chemi pure elite as well

Adamantium

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've got a 24g AIO that was Puigen in it as the only filtration media. After 2 years, I have yet to need to change the water and the current Frogfish resident is loving life! So I love it.
Do you recharge the purigen periodically?

Also, jealous of your frogfish. I'd like one someday. I'm impressed that you've had it that long, as well. I see so many stories of people having them croak after less than a year, seemingly without cause.

OP
OP
BanZI29

BanZI29

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK so looks like its an awesome thing to have. I put it in last night as I had a BIG spike of Nitrite and nitrate so did a %50 water change and then a new bag of purigen.
Thanx for all the help!

Mr_Knightley

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you recharge the purigen periodically?

Also, jealous of your frogfish. I'd like one someday. I'm impressed that you've had it that long, as well. I see so many stories of people having them croak after less than a year, seemingly without cause.
I've yet to need to recharge it really, the tank had been without livestock for the longest time. I've only has the frogfish for a few months actually, but he is doing wonderful so far! Fingers' crossed that I can keep him for longer still.

Rjramos

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I started to run purigen along with chemipure elite in a media basket on the back of AIO 29 biocube in 2014. This I changed out every 90 days.After this basket was a refugium basket with chaeto lit from the back. Tank was doing good until I started to get bryopsis and hair type algae. About 2018, I treated with fluconazole and thus removed the purigen and chemipure. After I got rid of the algae problem I never used neither again. Not a lot of bio load on this tank, 2 clowns, 2 Rbta’s, mushrooms, a yellow coris wrasse, 2 peppermint shrimp and several hermit crabs and snails. Since then, the media basket just has a floss pad up top. The refugium basket grows chaeto really nice and thick. The only other filtration is an Aquaticlife 115 skimmer in chamber 1. I really like the way this tank is running now. CORRALINE algae everywhere great parameters, necessary nutrients, and no nuisances.
I’m my experience, when chaeto starts to grow really nice, a little skimming and water changes is all that’s needed.

422194C4-31D1-4454-B4D4-1B49C302C3D8.jpeg 5D458B14-0F4D-4A46-BFD9-EF975D225ED9.jpeg

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It basically targets waste before it breaks down into ammonia, similar to a skimmer.

OP
OP
BanZI29

BanZI29

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So this should be really good in keeping levels in check when I feed the coral. I use Polyp-booster and reef roids

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So this should be really good in keeping levels in check when I feed the coral. I use Polyp-booster and reef roids

Well I am not sure. It says it targets nitrogenous waste, but does not remove ammonia. I know urea and uric acid are other nitrogenous wastes but fish don't make uric acid (at least I don't think so). That being said, that sort of implies fish pee is what it absorbs. However, this is my best guess and I am sure it adsorbs more.

OP
OP
BanZI29

BanZI29

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I am not sure. It says it targets nitrogenous waste, but does not remove ammonia. I know urea and uric acid are other nitrogenous wastes but fish don't make uric acid (at least I don't think so). That being said, that sort of implies fish pee is what it absorbs. However, this is my best guess and I am sure it adsorbs more.
That should not apply to my tank because I do not have any fish, just coral

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That should not apply to my tank because I do not have any fish, just coral

Don't take what I said as for sure though, as this s just a guess. I wouldnt contact seachem if you want a for sure answer.

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

lefkonj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Going to try using this in place of Carbon. Was wondering though what is the best way to implement.

Should I place a small bag of it below my filter pad in the media cups (where filters socks would normally go)?
Should it be in a bag near the filter block prior to return section?
I know you can use a reactor but don't want to spend on that right now since it is a new thing in the tank.

Back