Purigen vs Carbon for filtration, or both?

SlugSnorter

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thinking between the two for a 15 gallon nano reef tank. I know they aren't super direct replacements for each-other, but, if going one or the other, what would be recommended? or, would you suggest something else? (Im not doing zoas or sps for a long while even once the tank has matured much more, if that helps)

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Purigen and GAC will both bind organics, and may bind slightly different but overlapping types of organics. Either seems a fine approach to lowering yellowing of the water and export of organics.

I chose GAC (ROX 0.8), but both will work.

OP
OP
SlugSnorter

SlugSnorter

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Purigen and GAC will both bind organics, and may bind slightly different but overlapping types of organics. Either seems a fine approach to lowering yellowing of the water and export of organics.

I chose GAC (ROX 0.8), but both will work.
Alright, Purigen lasts longer so i guess ill go with it.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alright, Purigen lasts longer so i guess ill go with it.

I'm not sure how you know it lasts longer, but if it does, I think a likely interpretation is that is so because it is binding less. Not a good reason to use it, IMO.

OP
OP
SlugSnorter

SlugSnorter

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not sure how you know it lasts longer, but if it does, I think a likely interpretation is that is so because it is binding less. Not a good reason to use it, IMO.
lasts longer cause you can clean it instead of buying new stuff, if you get two packets you can clean one while the other is being used

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
lasts longer cause you can clean it instead of buying new stuff, if you get two packets you can clean one while the other is being used

OK, I get that interpretation of "lasts longer". :)

Garf

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I stopped using it because of the recharging. You clean it with bleach, then use something like prime to de chlorinate. Didn’t matter how long if was left in fresh rinse water before use, it made the skimmer go nuts for a couple of hours. Got annoying, and couldn’t get me head around what it was doing to the water column, so just a bit of carbon for me now.

OP
OP
SlugSnorter

SlugSnorter

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I stopped using it because of the recharging. You clean it with bleach, then use something like prime to de chlorinate. Didn’t matter how long if was left in fresh rinse water before use, it made the skimmer go nuts for a couple of hours. Got annoying, and couldn’t get me head around what it was doing to the water column, so just a bit of carbon for me now.
alright

OP
OP
SlugSnorter

SlugSnorter

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
what carbon do you recommend?

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 40.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 27 20.5%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 36.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back