Purple firefish getting bullied

DrEggroll

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 120 gallon tank that’s 7 months old. I have two clowns, a very large black capped basslet, and a long nose hawk fish. I recently added a purple firefish and skipped my acclimation box because all my fish have been friendly towards each other. I felt the fire fish was different enough and shared a different part of the water.
After the first day my black capped basslet was darting at and tail flashing the firefish. The firefish now has a little hole down by the sand and is barely coming out. The long nosed hawk is now getting into bullying when the firefish comes out.

what can I do to help my new fish?

Llyod276

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Make a cave for the firefish to retreat to small enough the basslet and others cant follow. Once they find a spot they can hide from the others. Just make sure they come out to eat.

Attachments

• 20210606_185008.mp4
    9.6 MB

Gup

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've lost two fish because of harassment. It can get so bad, even when they come out to eat the aggressor attacks. At least that was true in my case

Llyod276

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It either die or not. That simple. My purple firefish is fine in a 75g with 11 other tank mates. My blue damsel which I had in a 10g in my daughters room killed 2 red firefish because it claimed (albeit the only) rock in the whole tank as its own. Then I got wise and added a hawkfish and the aggressor became a nobody. Then i dismantled her tank, and threw both in the 75g, everybody gets along.

OP
OP
D

DrEggroll

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've lost two fish because of harassment. It can get so bad, even when they come out to eat the aggressor attacks. At least that was true in my case
Did you try anything? Mine made a small cave near the sand but it’s pointless having a fish I don’t see.

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
if possible to catch the basslet, you can put him in QT for a days to let the firefish find a spot, and rearrange a few rocks in your display tank to confuse the basslet when you add him back. It might or might not work, IF you can catch the basslet

Llyod276

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Two good tool to catch fish, scary pvc pipe and the dreaded net. Use the pipe to herd dude into corner where Mr net is lurking.

Back