OP
OP
Heavymman

Heavymman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You should very slowly dose PraziPro, don't do a full dose at once. This can cause a LOT of issues for fish. And your answers aren't quite an 'answer'. Were asking if the fish looked sick/injured before. Being skittish is 100% normal, eating is a good sign. I've seen fish start dying from PraziPro.

Additionally, prazipro can be toxic when mixed with some meds. To the point where you should't mix prazi with anything.

Also, that water looks SUPER cloudy.. That means bacterial bloom, which means lack of oxygen in the water. Any fish with even a slightly illness is going to have a really hard time with these tank conditions.

It sounds like there's a whole lot going on here. Step one Aerate the water, point a powerhead towards the surface of the water at the extreme least.
Might be cloudy because of all the air bubbles... I don’t think I can increase O2 more than this

119DCF74-C7F9-4F05-93DE-DFD28AAD9726.jpeg

Rakie

NOTED TROUBLEMAKER
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
GOtcha, could have just been that picture then.

Usually the white splotches are indications of bacterial infections. A fish that is disoriented is in very bad distress. At that point there's nothing you can really do.

I had this happen to a wrasse with PraziPro, and put in a bunch of carbon to remove the PP, and the fish healed up. But I considered it dead at that point.

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The QT setup looks good.
So back to the possible spasming of the flukes; prazi sensitive fish; or the very nasty bacterial infection prevalent in the industry today.

OP
OP
Heavymman

Heavymman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If the fish is at that point it's long too late.
So call it quits and get it out of my tank? Or wait and see? I really don’t know where I went wrong here but by getting a diseased fish.

OP
OP
Heavymman

Heavymman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The QT setup looks good.
So back to the possible spasming of the flukes; prazi sensitive fish; or the very nasty bacterial infection prevalent in the industry today.
It sucks, I had my wife pick this fish up at the LFS with the kids when I was at work.... I didn’t get s chance to observe it

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So call it quits and get it out of my tank? Or wait and see? I really don’t know where I went wrong here but by getting a diseased fish.
The bacterial and velvet thing is totally out of control in the industry. It's really bad.

OP
OP
Heavymman

Heavymman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The bacterial and velvet thing is totally out of control in the industry. It's really bad.
Scares me becsuse I wanted a bulletproof QT system before I get them in the main DT. I was going with 2 doses of Prazi once a week 2 weeks and then do my copper... maybe I should have done a bacterial/fungal treatment first?

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Things are constantly changing in the industry. Used to do Prazi, then copper and good to go. Then the rampant velvet thing and it was copper immediately and then prazi. Now it's copper and bacterial immediately and then prazi/GC. I like GC (General Cure), much easier on the fish.

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It sucks, I had my wife pick this fish up at the LFS with the kids when I was at work.... I didn’t get s chance to observe it
The bacterial thing is very difficult to see. It's not showing the normal visible symptoms. Same with the velvet that's so rampant.

Rakie

NOTED TROUBLEMAKER
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Things are constantly changing in the industry. Used to do Prazi, then copper and good to go. Then the rampant velvet thing and it was copper immediately and then prazi. Now it's copper and bacterial immediately and then prazi/GC. I like GC (General Cure), much easier on the fish.

Easier on the fish because the Prazi is at the lowest acceptable level. While it can work, it can also not work. Some flukes really need the higher dose :(

OP
OP
Heavymman

Heavymman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good to know, unfortunately I don’t want to do a water change because of the pair of clowns that are ok.... I feel let the Prazi do its thing and I think it’s only active for 72hrs. Even if I did a water change it’s possible I won’t be able to save the firefish even though it breaks my heart.... you dose copper and bacterial same time?

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Easier on the fish because the Prazi is at the lowest acceptable level. While it can work, it can also not work. Some flukes really need the higher dose :(
Yep. That's why the freshwater dip is so helpful.

OP
OP
Heavymman

Heavymman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1/2 a teaspoon for 10 gallons, you would really think it’s not a lot but I guess it is

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good to know, unfortunately I don’t want to do a water change because of the pair of clowns that are ok.... I feel let the Prazi do its thing and I think it’s only active for 72hrs. Even if I did a water change it’s possible I won’t be able to save the firefish even though it breaks my heart.... you dose copper and bacterial same time?
The praziquantel is largely gone in 24-48 hours or so. It's the Oxybispropanol that remains in the water for quite awhile.
Yep. Get the fish to min therapeutic copper level asap and dose antibiotics at the same time. Don't like it one bit. But the bacterial thing going around right now is just brutal.

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1/2 a teaspoon for 10 gallons, you would really think it’s not a lot but I guess it is
You can actually smell it if you have a sensitive nose.
Remember you should do an actual measurement of the QT. A 10 gallon tank is not actually 10 gallons and then dose accordingly.

Last edited:

Rakie

NOTED TROUBLEMAKER
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

No, me and @Big G were talking about AP General Cure -- This is a completely different medication than PraziPro. API General Cure, could also help you. But as @Big G has said, a FW dip in conjunction is often recommended, because the levels of Prazi in GC are on the low side, AND the powder version is less effective to boot. To reiterate, the level of Prazi that AP GC claims to give is already low, and the functional dosage is lower than it claims to be. So lots of little intricacies.

Although I'm no expert, just chiming in. I've seen @Big G post enough to know that if I had an esoteric fish health question he's one of the first people I'd PM. So if either of us start giving conflicting advice, I would defer to his judgement before my own.

OP
OP
Heavymman

Heavymman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got ya....

When I thought I read enough.... I didn’t

Rakie

NOTED TROUBLEMAKER
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You'll be fine. Next time around start with a FW dip in RODI water. Make sure the water is well aerated for like an hour before dip, and at temperature. That will alleviate most of the issues. Then you just gotta use meds as directed, if using liquid prazi go slow, don't use it all at once. If using API General Cure just follow the directions. It is easier on fish, but slightly less effective (which is why the FW dip is important).

It's both complicated and esoteric, and eventually simple. It all comes with familiarity.

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
AP General Cure -- This is a completely different medication than PraziPro. API General Cure, could also help you. But as @Big G has said, a FW dip in conjunction is often recommended, because the levels of Prazi in GC are on the low side, AND the powder version is less effective to boot. To reiterate, the level of Prazi that AP GC claims to give is already low, and the functional dosage is lower than it claims to be. So lots of little intricacies.
API's General Cure is a powdered form of the mix of praziquantel and metro. The challenge with using it is to get the prazi part to dissolve in the water. The easiest way is to use a brine shrimp net. Set the net into the water. Pour in the GC packet/or measured amount into the net in the water. Massage the net so the GC expresses into the water. You may find a bit of the powder still in the net. Continue to massage the net as much as possible. You may find a bit of the GC powder still inside the net. Invert the net allowing the remaining to express into the tank. For prazi resistant flukes, some are mixing their own version of GC, and it's cheaper too. Both the praziquantel and metro are readily available on the net. So if you run across prazi resistant flukes you can increase the dosage from the GC level of 2.0 ppm up to the 2.5 ppm with the appropriate amount of caution. Another possible treatment to run the QT at hyposalinity to kill off the prazi resistant flukes. Thus the need to observe after dosing or for that matter treating with copper or CP. This is a very often ignored step of QTing. Watch the fish for at least 14 days after removing meds/copper. 30 days would be better.

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Although I'm no expert, just chiming in. I've seen @Big G post enough to know that if I had an esoteric fish health question he's one of the first people I'd PM. So if either of us start giving conflicting advice, I would defer to his judgement before my own.
Oh, I disagree. :D @Heavymman do yourself a favor and check out the Cat's build thread for a lesson on innovation and just cool corals. Awesome. :D:cool:
Rakies 45g SPS Garden

Set it and forget it: Do you change your aquascape as your corals grow?

• I regularly change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 14 9.3%
  • I occasionally change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 43 28.5%
  • I rarely change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 72 47.7%
  • I never change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 19 12.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.0%
Back