OP
OP
Heavymman

Heavymman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hopefully. I also hope it isn't from your tank, or you could be spreading illness.

The problem is the moment you throw that that bio media in the water with copper all the bacteria will die anyways. So it might not help you until after you're 100% done
So maybe a lot of water changes? I’m devoted now to get these fish healthy.... clowns were good and I am now treating a firefish(LFS replaced) most likely with Velvet.... almost like a mission now

Rakie

NOTED TROUBLEMAKER
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most people do a lot of water changes, and with each little WC they add in just a bit of copper to make sure the levels are stable. SO that should be just fine.

QT'ing fish is like dancing -- at first you suck so bad it's embarrassing, then after some experience you just go through the motions.

OP
OP
Heavymman

Heavymman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most people do a lot of water changes, and with each little WC they add in just a bit of copper to make sure the levels are stable. SO that should be just fine.

QT'ing fish is like dancing -- at first you suck so bad it's embarrassing, then after some experience you just go through the motions.
;Facepalm So true! I never ran a QT when I was originally in the hobby. This is my very virgin build thread if intrested, explains I think my small little story( a little)

https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/my-60-gallon-custom-cube-build.462274/#post-5160790

OP
OP
Heavymman

Heavymman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ughhh Seachem ammonia badge is telling me 0 and salifert is telling me between 1 and 1.5 ammonia.... one says to do a 50% water change but what is more accurate!!!

OP
OP
Heavymman

Heavymman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Trust Salifert.
Tested two more times, was actually at .25 .... should I wait or cease furan-2 treatment? I won’t be able to do a water change until late tomorrow night?

OP
OP
Heavymman

Heavymman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks @Rakie , I’m just nervous because I’m out of the house from 0400 to 1900 tomorrow... I have salt water ready but I’m on a mission to succeed with these guys!

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When using the Seachem badge, to get the best color reading, use a small flashlight and illuminate the badge from the rear. And it's best if the badge is about 1/2 way down the side of the tank away from the tank lights as they will/can interfere with the reading accuracy.

OP
OP
Heavymman

Heavymman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When using the Seachem badge, to get the best color reading, use a small flashlight and illuminate the badge from the rear. And it's best if the badge is about 1/2 way down the side of the tank away from the tank lights as they will/can interfere with the reading accuracy.
Should I do a water change?

OP
OP
Heavymman

Heavymman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am just so confused @Big G , if you dose furan-2 while copper treatment, you are killing the biological nitrifying bacteria.... increasing ammonia levels, which is pretty much a death sentence.... am I missing something?

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's the dilemma. There are two things that kill fish incredibly fast: velvet and gram negative bacterial infections. And these days we are more and more running into both of them at the same time. Ugh! The copper won't kill off all of the good bacteria. That's why using multiple sources works well. But the reality is you have to be ready for the water changes. If you have velvet you have to dose copper; and if you suspect, as we are inclined these days, to be very concerned about gram negative bacterial infections that are running rampant and killing off, with little to no visible/normal symptoms, whole QT tanks, sometimes over night.
Give this a read: https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/the-bacterial-infection-predicament.310311/#post-3816129

OP
OP
Heavymman

Heavymman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's the dilemma. There are two things that kill fish incredibly fast: velvet and gram negative bacterial infections. And these days we are more and more running into both of them at the same time. Ugh! The copper won't kill off all of the good bacteria. That's why using multiple sources works well. But the reality is you have to be ready for the water changes. If you have velvet you have to dose copper; and if you suspect, as we are inclined these days, to be very concerned about gram negative bacterial infections that are running rampant and killing off, with little to no visible/normal symptoms, whole QT tanks, sometimes over night.
Give this a read: https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/the-bacterial-infection-predicament.310311/#post-3816129
All makes sense... kind of :confused:... I’m still at .25 ammonia ... hopefully will be ok because I don’t want to stop the Furan-2, expecially after what I just read

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I tend to trust the Seachem Badge a bit more than the color matching test kits for ammonia, when all things are equal: badge is fresh and not old; test kit is same. But the hobby test kits are well known for giving false readings at times. Ugh!

OP
OP
Heavymman

Heavymman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I tend to trust the Seachem Badge a bit more than the color matching test kits for ammonia, when all things are equal: badge is fresh and not old; test kit is same. But the hobby test kits are well known for giving false readings at times. Ugh!
Let the fun begin! o_O

I’m confident I will get these fish to full health.... I’m just hoping to get them to eat tomorrow night... then water change!

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m just hoping to get them to eat tomorrow night
Fish smoothie: use a variety of frozen fish food cubes: mysis, cyclops, chopped clams, brine shrimp, reef mix, etc. Take one of each. Place into tupperware. Allow to "slump" (thaw) in the fridge. Pour off excess water. Add a few drops of vitamins like Selcon, Zoecon, etc. The mix will stay good in the fridge for a few days. The fish will go crazy for it.

OP
OP
Heavymman

Heavymman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all, thought to give you a quick update. Unfortunately, 2nd firefish I couldn’t save, was loaded with flukes when I FW dipped it. Tried my best to save him but no luck. Fortunately, two clowns are looking healthy and eating. They are on their 3rd day of Cupramine at .5 and 3rd dose of furan-2. Did water change and copper levels back up to normal.

I think I am going to do Prazi treatment for two weeks after copper because of how many flukes were on the firefish. Followed by a watchful eye. Any thoughts?

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all, thought to give you a quick update. Unfortunately, 2nd firefish I couldn’t save, was loaded with flukes when I FW dipped it. Tried my best to save him but no luck. Fortunately, two clowns are looking healthy and eating. They are on their 3rd day of Cupramine at .5 and 3rd dose of furan-2. Did water change and copper levels back up to normal.

I think I am going to do Prazi treatment for two weeks after copper because of how many flukes were on the firefish. Followed by a watchful eye. Any thoughts?
If you consider dosing with General Cure it would treat both internal and external parasites/worms. Covers all the bases. It contains both prazi & metro.

OP
OP
Heavymman

Heavymman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you consider dosing with General Cure it would treat both internal and external parasites/worms. Covers all the bases. It contains both prazi & metro.
Prob a better idea, like you said, cover all bases.... you think I should FW dip after cupramine 30 days just in case they got flukes and Prazi doesn’t kill them?

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After copper treatment is done, and the copper removed from the water column, it's a good idea to observe for a few days (7-10) to make sure the copper has done its work. Plus this give the fish's immune system time to re-coop. Copper is after all a poison.

Ingenuity against algae: Do you use DIY methods for controlling nuisance algae?

• I have used DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 1 100.0%
  • I use commercial methods for controlling algae, but never DIY methods.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I have not used commercial or DIY methods for controlling algae.

• Other.

Back