Purple Goni how long to extend

John Bolden

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just put a large purple goni in my 425.
How long would it take to extend?
How long is a piece of string?
Is there anything required nutrient wise?
Really just depends on how long it takes to adapt to your system. The more your water is different from the fish stores the longer it will take also lighting comes into play but the same thing here the more yours varies from the fish store the longer it will take. They are a lps so the basics.

Tyler Venemore

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sometimes they can extend in a few hours of being in the tank, I wouldn’t start to worry about it not extending until a week has passed, as long as the polyps are actually on show and not full contracted. As for nutrients I find they like some phosphate. My nitrates are usually around 15-20ppm with my phosphates at 0.05.

In my personal experience, gonis are actually quite hardy. You see a lot of people struggling to keep them for 6 months + but the key thing is to feed them, I target feed mine 2-3 times a week with reef roids or similar, the tank also gets RedSea AB+ daily. When target feeding them, they are slow eaters so make sure your pumps are off for a minimum of ten minutes as they can take a while to consume the food. Tidal gardens did an interesting video on this a while back.

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve had some extended right away, some that took a week, and I had one that took about 5 months to fully open up. That was when my tank was new.

OP
OP
PeterEde

PeterEde

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Really just depends on how long it takes to adapt to your system. The more your water is different from the fish stores the longer it will take also lighting comes into play but the same thing here the more yours varies from the fish store the longer it will take. They are a lps so the basics.
I'm using the same NSW the store uses. LFS lights are closer. Using Led90 at only 20 inches away

OP
OP
PeterEde

PeterEde

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sometimes they can extend in a few hours of being in the tank, I wouldn’t start to worry about it not extending until a week has passed, as long as the polyps are actually on show and not full contracted. As for nutrients I find they like some phosphate. My nitrates are usually around 15-20ppm with my phosphates at 0.05.

In my personal experience, gonis are actually quite hardy. You see a lot of people struggling to keep them for 6 months + but the key thing is to feed them, I target feed mine 2-3 times a week with reef roids or similar, the tank also gets RedSea AB+ daily. When target feeding them, they are slow eaters so make sure your pumps are off for a minimum of ten minutes as they can take a while to consume the food. Tidal gardens did an interesting video on this a while back.
NO3 at 4ppm PO4 at .1
I'll have to feed more I guess.

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 2 1.1%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 1.7%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 26 14.7%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 87 49.2%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 54 30.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 2.8%
Back