OP
OP
eggie

eggie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thats what i was thinking of the comment after everybody batching that the photo looked wierd maybe cause of the great colors . But like i said im not camera expert but ill take some pics later just to get things straight

Maybe after all people could get better colors and growth if there is a recopilation of diffrent inputs here

Last edited:
OP
OP
eggie

eggie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Where do you have yours located eggie? Just wondering if they are about the same as mine. I recieved mine about two months ago with 5 polyps and now I have 12 - seems to be a good location. My Satans Breaths got a brown dusting on them and started to melt at the same location. Not sure if it was to high or just got it. I think the brown dusting that makes the polyps close and then die is a fungus but I'm not positive on that. I treated it the same as the zoa pox so only time will tell.

Mines are in the sand with 6 T5 an they get a decent flow from my Vortech
other then that stable parameters and spot feeding every other day

ReefArtist

Aquaculturist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think it also makes a big difference in the water quality. We all know LPS, softies, Zoas etc like a high nutrient tank so that would make a huge difference in your growth. Also how long has your tank been up and running would affect this. My tanks been up a few years. I keep a lot of SPS corals so my water quality needs to be some what high but I would consider mine in the mid range. I have 0 nitrates and my Phosphates are .03 but resently I've had a little algae growing.

ReefArtist

Aquaculturist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Spot feeding would make a huge difference and most likely is something most of us don't do (at least I don't).

Thanks for the info - I'll start spot feeding mine and see if my growth starts to speed up.

OP
OP
eggie

eggie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think it also makes a big difference in the water quality. We all know LPS, softies, Zoas etc like a high nutrient tank so that would make a huge difference in your growth. Also how long has your tank been up and running would affect this. My tanks been up a few years. I keep a lot of SPS corals so my water quality needs to be some what high but I would consider mine in the mid range. I have 0 nitrates and my Phosphates are .03 but resently I've had a little algae growing.

I keep my sistem ULN so i think they all get to live in difrent type of water as long as there is stability
Iam doing an experiment to propagate white clove polyps in this kind of system versus dirty water system to see were they get better growth

OP
OP
eggie

eggie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow! I didn't realize my comment about the photos looking weird would get so much grief.
I just meant they looked funny is all and if they were truly that color then they are sweet either way. I didn't mean that you were photoshopping them to make them look cool, or that they weren't true PH's. I was just saying they didn't look like "normal". Thats all. I didn't mean anything else by it.

Here is a picture of mine when I first got it - thats the only reason I thought it looked weird is cause the color is so different.

All my photos are PSed - its kinda hard putting my name on them without it ;)
I don't do color enhancement or anything. Wysiwyg as far as my photos. I know WB, glass, and everything in between plays a part, as well as picture taking skills.

Purplehornetandrasta.jpg

It also could be the light you got them under it changes there color
My friend Bandito Rox got some from a guy and thought he was ripoff up to he put them same spectrume lights I got and they turn to be orginals

I see yours they look more blue color to violet whats the other one a Rasta

ReefArtist

Aquaculturist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can definitely confirm that when my tank is perfect for my SPS corals my softies do not grow very much. I have friends that have mushroom all over their tank. I put them in mine and I still have that same one polyp a year later. The only way I can get them to grow better is to put them in my "LPS Frag Tank". This tank is still part of my total volume of water but what I've done is slow the water rate down. I turned down the return line so not as much clean water is recycled through this part of my system. Works great for all my non-SPS corals. I also have a SPS frag tank - faster return much higher flow cleaner water. My system can handle the LPS tank and being feed heavier because the main display is 280g. It all balances out so I can still have great looking SPS and LPS corals in the same reef system.

MarvinsReef

Clownfish Aficionado
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm glad you guys are able to keep this civil... :)

eggie: maybe you can post on the Photography forum to see if you can get some more help with others that have the same set up as you, that is if you're still having trouble... :)

either way, if your PH came from Junior, then they came from me... I've had mine years before they were called PH... and Gary (originator) can attest to the similarities of his PH and mine... PH do have their growth spurts... some months, they don't do anything, some months they pop out 2-3 polyps from the adult polyps... so I would say you're on the growth spurt mode... hope it stays this way for you for a few months... they are amazing as colonies/mini colonies.. :)

Last edited:

bushh23

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First off just because I don't post much doesn't mean I don’t have experience in reefing or taking photos. I have a feeling I started in this hobby before you were born (80’s). I have a 600+g system and happen to have my own reefing site – that tends to keep me busy. Sorry but I’ve seen this happen time and time again. If someone said to me that something I called Purple Hornets and JUST because they’re growing good for me they say they’re not the real deal – that’s not attacking? Then the same people that attack people about their photos do that same here – that’s not attacking? Sorry but to me it is and my only point is others see this and don’t feel their skills are up to par so they don’t post and share with others. This is one of the reasons I don’t here – I’m just not that great of a photographer. I do however post on my own forum because comments like that would not happen – everyone is welcome beginner to advanced reefers.

So the photos are a little over saturated who cares. He has great reefing skills and gets great growth – good job eggie. I’m not questioning the purple hornets because I’m also getting great growth and I also trust the person I purchased them from.

Anyone else have photos of their PH and their growth?

Yeah not born in the 80's but thanks though. If they attack peoples pictures or posts on other sites, take it up with them there. I wasnt attacking him, i was just trying to help him understand what they were saying instead of just bashing them too. As you liked to do. You dont have to be a great photographer to post here. You dont even have to be good. That is the great thing about this site. I started out as a beginner and with the help of the photography forum and people on here, i have been able to polish my skills. I know one of the people who posted and i know he isnt one to just bash. I was only trying to help out so the originator of this thread didnt feel affraid and get the wrong idea about said posts. I was also giving him some advice, the same advice i have gotten here, on how to help make his pics look better. I completely understand what you are saying but going through life affraid of what others may say about what you like isnt good. Hopefully you start to post some pics of that large system as i am sure it is probably amazing being that you have many years of experience and knowledge. You could add a lot to this site and help other people who may have gone through what you have already seen.

bushh23

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can definitely confirm that when my tank is perfect for my SPS corals my softies do not grow very much. I have friends that have mushroom all over their tank. I put them in mine and I still have that same one polyp a year later. The only way I can get them to grow better is to put them in my "LPS Frag Tank". This tank is still part of my total volume of water but what I've done is slow the water rate down. I turned down the return line so not as much clean water is recycled through this part of my system. Works great for all my non-SPS corals. I also have a SPS frag tank - faster return much higher flow cleaner water. My system can handle the LPS tank and being feed heavier because the main display is 280g. It all balances out so I can still have great looking SPS and LPS corals in the same reef system.

Yeah it seems to me that it is very hard to keep everything growing at the same time. In my experience i have seen that LPS love dirty water and SPS love clean water. My zoas just like everything. I have my PH under 2 250w MH with 4 t5s and they are high up. But they do not get direct flow or direct feeding. Its so weird how what works for one may not work for another. But my rule of thumb has been if it is working where it is never move it.

bushh23

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here are mine from a few weeks ago. I started with these guys in the end of May and just 1 polyp

DSC01806.jpg

bushh23

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Eggie that is an awesome pic of your chalice! I know i will probably get bashed for this but i dont think that is a BGM. Which is a good thing for you because the BGM has become so widely spread that its value isnt what it once was. Yours looks like the more rare 4-Color chalice. Its a sick piece and hopefully you paid what a BGM costs because its a lot less then i got my 4 color for. If you want to trade it when its big enough let me know as i have a lot to offer!

OP
OP
eggie

eggie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice PH

Dont worry I dont get affraid i just hate people that try to step on you without knowing you

But its all good Im not mad with non of you guys let keep been the reef2reef family
and be ladies and gentelments

OP
OP
eggie

eggie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Eggie that is an awesome pic of your chalice! I know i will probably get bashed for this but i dont think that is a BGM. Which is a good thing for you because the BGM has become so widely spread that its value isnt what it once was. Yours looks like the more rare 4-Color chalice. Its a sick piece and hopefully you paid what a BGM costs because its a lot less then i got my 4 color for. If you want to trade it when its big enough let me know as i have a lot to offer!

Your right its an ecc hybride watermelon got it from junior and also i got the pastel mummy eye i got both a coulple a (4-5) months a ago

DSC_0096.jpg

Sikryd

hmm...Sweet!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It also could be the light you got them under it changes there color
My friend Bandito Rox got some from a guy and thought he was ripoff up to he put them same spectrume lights I got and they turn to be orginals

I see yours they look more blue color to violet whats the other one a Rasta

Yeah that was a Rasta, it never really came open and melted away :/

ladyreefer1983

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
heres a picture of my ph...i fragged 1 polyp last month,so i end up with 5 polyps...i have a question?is my ph looks pale purple or purple..some of the pics here looks more of blue or dark purple...im kind of color blind...or mine is violet?im confuse...in my pic thats really the actual color of my ph...i just point and shoot...i have it in the sandbed...thanks

charisse

Attachments

• DSC02486.jpg
    DSC02486.jpg
    37.3 KB · Views: 117
OP
OP
eggie

eggie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
heres a picture of my ph...i fragged 1 polyp last month,so i end up with 5 polyps...i have a question?is my ph looks pale purple or purple..some of the pics here looks more of blue or dark purple...im kind of color blind...or mine is violet?im confuse...in my pic thats really the actual color of my ph...i just point and shoot...i have it in the sandbed...thanks

charisse

They look pale but once again it could be the lighting in your tank and pics
how do you see them compare to the others in this post

ladyreefer1983

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the pics here in this post they look more of dark purple to blue color..the color of my ph in my pic is really the actual color....i have it in the sandbed as 1 polyp got a zoa pox on and off and i always try to manually remove it...maybe mine is not getting enough much light?is mine pale?i havent seen another ph here in my area in person...so i dont know if mine is pale or its the real color...but compared to pics here,mine is pale:(

ladyreefer1983

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
mines color does look exactly as this one....
these 2 pics are not mine,the second pic is from zoa id

Attachments

• purple hornet.jpg
    purple hornet.jpg
    3.9 KB · Views: 114
  • ph.jpg
    ph.jpg
    48.1 KB · Views: 118
Last edited:
OP
OP
eggie

eggie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mines look more like bushh23 pics I think has to do more with the light thats hitting them
Those are beautiful

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 54 40.0%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 15 11.1%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 38 28.1%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 26 19.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.5%
Back