Purple Monster alternatives?

Justin_Casper

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, I’m stocking my nano right now with some classic acros (Slimer, Oregon Tort, GARF Bonsai, Red Planet, Banana lokani). Originally I wanted to add a Purple Monster as it is probably one of my top two favorites. Unfortunately it’s akin to a unicorn now. Even if you can find it, it’s a 1/2” frag going for exorbitant prices.

With that being said, what are some good alternatives of a deep and/or light solid purple coral?

Krzydmnd

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
if you can find some Barney out there, it's got a nice deep purple to it. Here is my small colony.
20200716_134941.jpg

Graffiti Spot

Cat and coral maker
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t think anything will look as good as a purple monster. The Christmas tree growth is unique and nothing else has that, that I have seen. Anyways it’s only like 200 for a decent frag, anywhere else will be just as expensive for many named stuff.

OP
OP
J

Justin_Casper

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t think anything will look as good as a purple monster. The Christmas tree growth is unique and nothing else has that, that I have seen. Anyways it’s only like 200 for a decent frag, anywhere else will be just as expensive for many named stuff.

To be honest, I would even do 200, but the problem is finding someone who has it, that’s actually willing to frag it. Only thing I’ve seen recently is the auction of a single frag at LOA on Saturday. Most people who have had it in the past, lost their colonies.

Graffiti Spot

Cat and coral maker
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea I got extreemly lucky to get a nice 1.5” chunk from a local who grew it for years and sold all his stuff to start over. Got the piece for 90 bucks. What a score, sorry probably not helping. But yea it’s got to be very rare. The price should go up honestly, especially with all the other nice corals being priced way higher.

Rick5

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea I got extreemly lucky to get a nice 1.5” chunk from a local who grew it for years and sold all his stuff to start over. Got the piece for 90 bucks. What a score, sorry probably not helping. But yea it’s got to be very rare. The price should go up honestly, especially with all the other nice corals being priced way higher.

Does anyone have any working theories about why people tend to lose Purple Monster pieces from time to time? I am not referring to those with freak accidents/tank crashes or folks who are less experienced. Rather, I have heard of anecdotal accounts over the years of experienced folks who have lost their colonies. I think I heard Copps lost his (although that may be inaccurate). I always thought there may be more to it than Purple Monster simply being finicky. Lots of coral are finicky.

@jda - Do you have an answer? Have you ever lost a Purple Monster colony or mini colony?

Graffiti Spot

Cat and coral maker
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I haven’t heard of it dying for no reason but I have not grown it personally before now, just super slow growing and tough to get to the point where it’s growing well. I will have to ask Bruce (the guy I got it from) on his long experience with it.

C. Eymann

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While there haven't been any conclusive claims as to what species PM is, veron mentioned he had seen acropora valida grow like this before in the wild.
Im doubtful that PM is acropora valida, if it was it wouldn't be as finicky, when Pacific Aqua Farms still had a station in the solomons, a wholesaler I worked for in 2006 ordered some "wild monster like colonies, what we got definitely fit the part, christmas tree loripes looking corals, they weren't bright purple, more of a light lavender.
I remember Gavin at PAF mentioning it was acropora longicyathus.
Unfortunately, they shipped rough and RTNd a few days later, I managed to save a frag that I had for about two years but it never grew much, unfortunately it died during a move.
Screenshot_20200801-142559_Gallery.jpg

When I saw Reefbuilders went out to the solomons and found OG Monsters, I compared the pics of the colonies they took and longicyathus looks like it might be a match? maybe Gavin was correct in PM being longicyathus?

That would explain it might just be a finicky species?

Screenshot_20200801-143308_Chrome.jpg Screenshot_20200801-143932_Google.jpg Screenshot_20200801-143308_Chrome.jpg Screenshot_20200801-144219_Chrome.jpg Screenshot_20200801-143440_Chrome.jpg

Last edited:

Graffiti Spot

Cat and coral maker
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea I would agree that is the closest thing I have seen to the pm. Great to hear your experience and see a frag from those colonies from back then!

Ostentum

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a mini colony that was one of the only survivors of an alk crash. It’s a horribly slow grower mine is only about 3” in 2 years and it took me more that 5 years to find a legit lineage purple monster. There are a few that have it. Mine is actually from Copps. Good luck on your search.

OP
OP
J

Justin_Casper

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a mini colony that was one of the only survivors of an alk crash. It’s a horribly slow grower mine is only about 3” in 2 years and it took me more that 5 years to find a legit lineage purple monster. There are a few that have it. Mine is actually from Copps. Good luck on your search.

That’s exactly the problem, everyone that currently has a colony that I know, is unwilling to cut it for good reason. The slow growth and fragility makes almost no price worth chopping it.

He was actually the next person I was going to attempt to reach out to at some point. I’m just worried if I wait to long, there might be so few legit colonies around that it’ll almost be impossible to find. It’s almost at that point now.

OP
OP
J

Justin_Casper

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While there haven't been any conclusive claims as to what species PM is, veron mentioned he had seen acropora valida grow like this before in the wild.
Im doubtful that PM is acropora valida, if it was it wouldn't be as finicky, when Pacific Aqua Farms still had a station in the solomons, a wholesaler I worked for in 2006 ordered some "wild monster like colonies, what we got definitely fit the part, christmas tree loripes looking corals, they weren't bright purple, more of a light lavender.
I remember Gavin at PAF mentioning it was acropora longicyathus.
Unfortunately, they shipped rough and RTNd a few days later, I managed to save a frag that I had for about two years but it never grew much, unfortunately it died during a move.
Screenshot_20200801-142559_Gallery.jpg

When I saw Reefbuilders went out to the solomons and found OG Monsters, I compared the pics of the colonies they took and longicyathus looks like it might be a match? maybe Gavin was correct in PM being longicyathus?

That would explain it might just be a finicky species?

Screenshot_20200801-143308_Chrome.jpg Screenshot_20200801-143932_Google.jpg Screenshot_20200801-143308_Chrome.jpg Screenshot_20200801-144219_Chrome.jpg Screenshot_20200801-143440_Chrome.jpg

Thank you, longicyathus certainly seems like a very likely candidate. It seems that it’s almost a lavender when collected, but once thrown under the intense artificial light, it deepens dramatically.

OP
OP
J

Justin_Casper

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well if your ever near SouthEast Texas I would be more than happy to cut you a frag.

You sir, are a true gentleman and I very much appreciate that offer. Unforunately I’m in Philadelphia. If I ever find myself in the lone star, I will definitely take you up on that.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 129 88.4%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 5.5%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 6 4.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.1%
Back