Purple monster

Abhishek

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ah ok. Mine is mid way under ATI T5. Reason I asked is that when I ran it with high nutrient, polyps on the body would be green and the tips would be white. But under lower nutrients then all the polyps would be white and body would be lighter purple. I like the deeper color look with higher nutrients on this one. You can also see the sheen green looking on the body too depending on lighting which is kinda cool. Especially is it's straight actinic LEDs.

Interesting observation !! The reason I started this conversation
Room is because of my PM being browned out but showing slight green sheen as you described . Also I am running reef britebtech leds for longer duration which might be contributing to the green sheen as you described .
I should reduce that reef brite duration and see if it makes any difference .
Also need to lower nutrients to see any effect and get purple coloration now I believe .

Regards,
Abhishek

Abhishek

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OG PM acquired in January of this year. Came from a ULNS with no fish in it. Nice white polyps on the terminal tips.

purple_monster_012317.jpg

Here it is taken in late June, so about 5 months of growth in total. Lost the white polyps. Hopefully it comes back once this frag grows larger.

purple_monster_062817.jpg

What par and nutrient levels are you keeping ?

Ibn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's sitting in 275 PAR (measured via Apogee MQ-200) in its current location. Haven't checked nutrients in awhile but I do feed heavily, 4-5 cubes daily, with the large amount of fish in the tank.

Coronus

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Is it the consensus that Unique Corals does not have the original PM?
They advertise it to be but then say they obtained it from someone and they are not sure ofcthe lineage.

Dana Riddle

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We had no problem maintaining the PM at Aquatic Wildlife, but we blasted it with light (PAR - 900, using Iwaskai 400w DL lamps) and had surge flow (dump bucket.) We bought a fist-sized colony for $40.

Mattrg02

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dang, I had a mini colony of this years ago when I first got into sps corals. Had no idea what it was and got it super cheap, like $20. It sure was hard to keep alive...Browned out after a few weeks and then pulled a rtn months later.

Never cared much for it. Had I known what this was...

Matt

Big E

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
This is about 375 par under T5

Too high and it can get pastel & lose the purple velvet sheen. The colors don't really shine till you get a good growing colony.

Abhishek, your growth looks good to me, I'd leave it where it's at.

purple monster R 032215.jpg
purple monster top R .jpg

Abhishek

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is about 375 par under T5

Too high and it can get pastel & lose the purple velvet sheen. The colors don't really shine till you get a good growing colony.

Abhishek, your growth looks good to me, I'd leave it where it's at.

purple monster R 032215.jpg
purple monster top R .jpg

I was hoping you would chime in Ed. It's amazing the colors you can pull of it .
Regarding PAR , it's receiving currently 400-450 and slowly encrusting .
I am in the midst of changes in my halides but will follow your suggestion and leave it as is .

Regards,
Abhishek

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't measure my water much. Salinity is at 35 ppt. I try to keep Mag at 1400+ and Ca at 400+ Alkalinity at about 3.75. These buys are under very high light. Right under my Radion G3 Pro at 100% for 10 hrs per day and under very good flow. My other Acro grow fast but the PM grow very slow. 6 month ago they barely have any branches, now, as you can see they start to branch out.

vonjankmon

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been growing mine out for close to 2 years now, half killed the initial frag with super glue because I'm an idiot but it recovered and has been steadily growing since.

20180129_184235.jpg

I don't use super blue light on my tank so it's not as "purple" as it could be but it is still an impressive center piece to my tank.

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
vonjankmom PM is not like any PM I have seen. IME, which is not great, they never have polyp extension like that. It is a very nice coral however.

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have found that the more daylight that this coral gets, the better that it grows and the more purple that it gets. IMO, this is not a good coral under blues only. This is a very shallow water coral, which is strange since it is smooth skinned. I give away and trade about 25 frags locally and all but one under stand-alone LEDs has died. The MH and T5 ones do fine and the hybrid ones have 50/50 success. I keep them under 400 PAR or else they fade in color a bit, but they will take every bit up to that number. They do not grow for me at all until it gets 325-350 PAR.

I also have the UC Purple Monster. It is not the same coral at all. When they get larger, the tips of the UC PM get more square and are not as rounded. The color is not as deep. It is a great coral, but it is not quite the same.

Abhishek

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the OG unique coral one. Grows very slowly with hardly any polyps to be seen.

I can see the white polyps but only at night with a flashlight . Also the color becomes more prominent and purple as it grows . Problem is it grows so slow aand the first one to brown out always when I have an alk swing !!

Regards,
Abhishek

larangcon

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The OG PM has white polyps, very difficult to keep and the purple color hard to maintain. With my experience with the PM high light and moving it around will tend to - brown out easily, not sure whether the deep water type body, but mine always liked the mid range and sand level in a 24" high tank. Also very sensitive to low alk swing which will easily RTN. I also had the UC PM which is different but more hardy than the original.

Scorpius

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can see the white polyps but only at night with a flashlight . Also the color becomes more prominent and purple as it grows . Problem is it grows so slow aand the first one to brown out always when I have an alk swing !!

Regards,
Abhishek
I've found my piece to be hardier the longer I have it. The first six months or so were touch and go though.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 43 35.2%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 26 21.3%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.4%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.4%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 25.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.3%
Back