Purple stuff?? This the good stuff or bad?

reefertanker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m new to reef tanks and about 3 months in. My tank went threw its fishless cycle after two months. I added two clowns and a week after 2 fire fish goby and just recently added a cleaner shrimp. 29gallon tank with 10 gallon sump and a protein skimmer. As well as 7 different corals and a pencil urchin I added with the shrimp. 1 turbo 3 nerat snails and 7 hermit crabs. This purple started on the sand and made its way on my rock and elsewhere. What is it and is it bad?

water parameters:

amonnia 1ppm(after adding shrimp and urchin)
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 0
Salinity 1.026
My Hardness is 11 I overdosed on solution 2 by accident. (I am new.)

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

Fish Think Pink

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m new to reef tanks and about 3 months in. My tank went threw its fishless cycle after two months. I added two clowns and a week after 2 fire fish goby and just recently added a cleaner shrimp. 29gallon tank with 10 gallon sump and a protein skimmer. As well as 7 different corals and a pencil urchin I added with the shrimp. 1 turbo 3 nerat snails and 7 hermit crabs. This purple started on the sand and made its way on my rock and elsewhere. What is it and is it bad?

water parameters:

amonnia 1ppm(after adding shrimp and urchin)
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 0
Salinity 1.026
My Hardness is 11 I overdosed on solution 2 by accident. (I am new.)

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg
Welcome!

Glad you joined! If the purple stuff is hard, its coralline algae which will keep bad algae from adhering so everyone considers that good. Its also a sign your tank is healthy enough and well lit enough for corals, IF you wanted to add any corals. You seem to be off to a great start, and look forward to hearing about your successes.

Ammonia at 1ppt is just a mini cycle from adding new tankmates. Everytime you add anything new, tank may readjust to accommodate. 1 isn't concerning to me.

My clowns like to lay on anemones and xenia pulsing coral, so it might just be normal behavior for your clown, but I'll defer to others as my clowns have always had a hosting something (and I wish my 1 that wants to live in xenia would get out and move into an empty anemone... ) BUT let's get more details...
- is your clown eating?
- how long have you had it? (seems relatively new)
- did you QT it for several weeks to observe before adding to tank?
- how is its poo?

jtp7004ft

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry about your clown. I doubt its from the 1ppm ammonia.
I would post in the forum below with All of your water parameters including temp and close-up of clowns.
Members there should be able to pinpoint the problem and help you out:)

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 18 14.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 9 7.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 19 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 70 55.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 7.1%
Back