Purple tang help please!!!

Borgie234

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had this guy for a couple weeks now. Treating with cuppermine I made a stupid error in bringing the levels up to .77, and didnt realize it for about 3 days. He definitely changed his attitude due to it and stopped eating, once I realized my mistake I immediately threw him in my DT. to get him out of copper. when I first put him in he swam upright but seem to be really weak and then started laying on the ground. I then put him into a box so that the current wouldnt bash him against the rocks. he started of laying in the box but has now started floating on his side with what looks to be a bloated belly and can not seem to swim down. I think I need to vent him, and wanted to get other opinions before doing so. Any advice would be appreciated

20191020_142624.jpg 20191020_142631.jpg

Justin101714

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t think the cupramine did this to him. I think it’s just a coincidence. I run my cupramine at 1.0ppm for all fish! I think this guy either had a internal parasite that has progressed or he has swim bladder. I’ve picked up some of my fish and knead the belly super gently in freak situations like this, but they normally end up passing. That’s not a normal practice, but an attempt to save the fish is better than nothing I guess. There’s no airation in that box? Maybe try to put him in QT with prazi or API General cure.

OP
OP
B

Borgie234

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t think the cupramine did this to him. I think it’s just a coincidence. I run my cupramine at 1.0ppm for all fish! I think this guy either had a internal parasite that has progressed or he has swim bladder. I’ve picked up some of my fish and knead the belly super gently in freak situations like this, but they normally end up passing. That’s not a normal practice, but an attempt to save the fish is better than nothing I guess. There’s no airation in that box? Maybe try to put him in QT with prazi or API General cure.
what is your opinion on trying to vent him? I did treat him with api and focus prior to cuppermine and his poop as always been normal so I dont think its internal parasites

Justin101714

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
what is your opinion on trying to vent him? I did treat him with api and focus prior to cuppermine and his poop as always been normal so I dont think its internal parasites

I guess you could just use an airstone to agitate the surface. How’s he doing?

OP
OP
B

Borgie234

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I guess you could just use an airstone to agitate the surface. How’s he doing?
Still about the same, he seems like he wants to be able to swim but it appears, what looks to be air bubble trapped in his belly is preventing him from doing so, also it seems as if his side fins are not moving very well

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You may need to vent him if it’s swimbladder. I also don’t think copper did this. If salinity and temp were different between the two it would cause some shock but not a swimbladder infection/issue generally.

OP
OP
B

Borgie234

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You may need to vent him if it’s swimbladder. I also don’t think copper did this. If salinity and temp were different between the two it would cause some shock but not a swimbladder infection/issue generally.
Any thing I can do to help him?? I have tried to vent him but no change in status

4FordFamily

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any thing I can do to help him?? I have tried to vent him but no change in status
You can feed foods soaked in focus AMG antibiotics such as metroplex and see if that helps if he is still eating. Otherwise it’s wait and pray! :(

OP
OP
B

Borgie234

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can feed foods soaked in focus AMG antibiotics such as metroplex and see if that helps if he is still eating. Otherwise it’s wait and pray! :(
unfortunately, he is not eating and hasnt been for about a week now (since he developed this lump), would taking him out of the tank he is in now and treating him with metro in the water be a good idea? or will the stress of moving tanks again be too overwhelming

4FordFamily

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
unfortunately, he is not eating and hasnt been for about a week now (since he developed this lump), would taking him out of the tank he is in now and treating him with metro in the water be a good idea? or will the stress of moving tanks again be too overwhelming
Hard to know for sure, but I guess if what's going on now has not worked, and you did lance the fish and it seemingly did not work, he may need the antibiotic for healing to starve off infection.

OP
OP
B

Borgie234

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hard to know for sure, but I guess if what's going on now has not worked, and you did lance the fish and it seemingly did not work, he may need the antibiotic for healing to starve off infection.
ok I will put him back into QT once i get home from work, would you recommend using metro as the antibiotic? I did use iodide after lancing him, before putting him back into the DT

4FordFamily

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ok I will put him back into QT once i get home from work, would you recommend using metro as the antibiotic? I did use iodide after lancing him, before putting him back into the DT
Metroplex, kanaplex, and furan 2 in conjunction would cover a wide range of possible infections. If an internal infection is at play it may help with this as well. If it makes it 14 days, report back on improvements.

OP
OP
B

Borgie234

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Metroplex, kanaplex, and furan 2 in conjunction would cover a wide range of possible infections. If an internal infection is at play it may help with this as well. If it makes it 14 days, report back on improvements.
Will do, thank you for all your help!!

4FordFamily

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Furan and neomyacin would be effective as his bladder likely infected hence not eating and swimming erratically.
Advice from 4fordfamily on track

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 26 40.0%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 15 23.1%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 22 33.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 3.1%
Back