Purple tang in 75 gallon

RV Reefs

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I planned to get a 75 gallon planted rainbowfish tank, but due to the rainbowfish being out of stock, I decided on saltwater. Would a purple tang go in a 75 for many years

OP
OP
R

RV Reefs

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
75 gallons is pushing it for a purple tang as they can get up to 10" in size and can be aggressive. It could probably be done for a little while if you get a small juvenile, but for "many years"? I'd say no.
would a 90 work for its lifespan, it's harder to convince my family to get a 110 than a 90. Ordering from waterbox I think

helmsreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you can do bigger it will work out better for you in the short run and long run. My current purple tang in my 180 grew about 3" in 1 year. I do feed heavy and all my tangs and fish in general are fat, but you dont want to limit your feedings just because you dont want the growth.

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No. They should have tanks double the sizes listed.

czoolander

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would say yes to a purple tang in a 75 g or 90g tank. However the caveat to this is that you probably will be limited to other fish you could get . I would say like the following stock list ?

1-purple tang
2- clownfish
1 - goby
1-2 small wrasse

Which is a nice mix :)

Jekyl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would say yes to a purple tang in a 75 g or 90g tank. However the caveat to this is that you probably will be limited to other fish you could get . I would say like the following stock list ?

1-purple tang
2- clownfish
1 - goby
1-2 small wrasse

Which is a nice mix :)
Based on what? I've never seen anyone recommend before that a fish that size will be healthy in this small of a tank.

Jekyl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Taken from an actual article on the subject instead of just, meh.

A juvenile fish growing up in a too-small tank can be expected to experience stunted growth, spinal deformities, atrophied muscles and other developmental heath problems. As a result, a stunted fish's life span is significantly shortened, too.

Jekyl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
why would a small purple tang need 150 gallon ? They stay small for tangs no need for 150 gallon in my opinion seems excessive
Do you have any sort of article backing this up? Or just winging it? Please don't just think everything will be OK when considering somethings life. Do some research and consider the health before giving bad advice.

czoolander

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Based on what? I've never seen anyone recommend before that a fish that size will be healthy in this small of a tank.
Yeah I agree that bigger tank would be better for the fish this is the case with all fish . But I see no issue in keeping 1 purple tang in a 75 gallon tank. They wont reach 10" in that tank like they would in the wild but that can be said for most fish we keep .
Do you have any sort of article backing this up? Or just winging it? Please don't just think everything will be OK when considering somethings life. Do some research and consider the health before giving bad advice.
For an adult purple tang, 100 gallons of water is sufficient. Juveniles can survive with 60 gallons. In its natural environment, it enjoys plenty of light. In an aquarium, normal lighting is sufficient. If it looks a little pale, more lighting can be added. Temperatures of between 74 and 82 Fahrenheit can do quite well.

czoolander

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And I wouldn't say its bad advice its just a different opinion then yours ;)

helmsreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They tend to grow fairly large, as my purple tang is only 2 years from when I bought it when it was a 1.5' juvenile and now its about 5" across and is only dwarfed by my Regal and Foxface. They may not grow as large as some species of tangs but they make up a lot for their size with their aggression. The bigger the better for any tang.

Jekyl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No, it's against pretty much every recommendation for tank size out there. I already linked information contradicting the idea that large fish are fine in a small tank. Fish for some reason aren't given the same consideration as other pets. If not willing to give them the best conditions recommended, you shouldn't do it.

czoolander

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No, it's against pretty much every recommendation for tank size out there. I already linked information contradicting the idea that large fish are fine in a small tank. Fish for some reason aren't given the same consideration as other pets. If not willing to give them the best conditions recommended, you shouldn't do it.
Again that's your opinion and you are entitled to it . But I find it funny that you are so concerned with the well being of fish yet you are fine keeping them in a 125 gallon box . Seems very ironic .

You keep fish in a box just like the rest of us so don't come off all high and mighty ;)

Have a good day buddy

Timfish

Crusty Old Salt
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I planned to get a 75 gallon planted rainbowfish tank, but due to the rainbowfish being out of stock, I decided on saltwater. Would a purple tang go in a 75 for many years

would a 90 work for its lifespan, it's harder to convince my family to get a 110 than a 90. Ordering from waterbox I think

Sorry to be blunt but if the reason for setting up a reef system because you can't find the freshwater fish you want strikes me as bad reason to get into reefing. Because of the life expectancies involved you really need to consider the implications of keeping animals for decades and potentially leaving them in your will if you're successful. As far as a purple tang it's life expectancy is 35-40 years, roughly 5times longer than rainbow fish

Grumblez

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Taken from an actual article on the subject instead of just, meh.

A juvenile fish growing up in a too-small tank can be expected to experience stunted growth, spinal deformities, atrophied muscles and other developmental heath problems. As a result, a stunted fish's life span is significantly shortened, too.

Ah yes the scientific animals.mom

The links within the article are for freshwater fish. Unfortunately I wasn't able to find any scientific sources on juvenile marine fish and small environments. Regardless there is a pretty big difference between a gold fish in a fish bowl and a juvenile purple tang in a 75 gallon.

For OP I would suggest doing a yellow tang, just as colorful and it's very unlikely you will need to rehome in a few years.

Jekyl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ah yes the scientific animals.mom

The links within the article are for freshwater fish. Unfortunately I wasn't able to find any scientific sources on juvenile marine fish and small environments. Regardless there is a pretty big difference between a gold fish in a fish bowl and a juvenile purple tang in a 75 gallon.

For OP I would suggest doing a yellow tang, just as colorful and it's very unlikely you will need to rehome in a few years.
Trying to deligitimize an article I found on a whim doesn't argue the point against. Still waiting for anything credible to say otherwise.

adittam

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would agree with the suggestion of a yellow tang. They don't get as aggressive as purple tangs (in general), and are the smallest species of Zebrasoma tangs.

Alternatively, get a 5' or 6' long tank instead. For active-swimming fish like tangs, the footprint of the tank matters more than the water volume.

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 147 75.0%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 16 8.2%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 29 14.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.0%
Back