Purple tang in 75 gallon

czoolander

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Trying to deligitimize an article I found on a whim doesn't argue the point against. Still waiting for anything credible to say otherwise.

Breeding Purple tangs:​

Very difficult to breed in captivity.

Purple tang Aquarium Size:​

55-100 gallons recommended and do better in larger tanks. Purple tangs for sale need lots of swimming space.

Purple tang for sale – Tank Mates :​

Use caution when selecting tank mates. Avoid keeping them with other species of tangs.

Purple Tang Diet and Foods :​

Mostly an herbivore feeding on filamentous marine algae in the wild. Try to give them a variety of marine foods but predominantly marine origin algae. Aquascape the aquarium with lots of live rock for them to graze on. They should accept vitamin-enriched flake foods, frozen and definitely live foods. Small frequent feedings are better than larger infrequent feedings. This is a very active fish and needs appropriate foods.

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't mean to climb up on a pedestal. With rising costs and constant forum posts of disease and fish is tanks much too small, it's just a peave of mine. I care for my animals and want the best for them. I do what I can to try and discourage some of the fringe decisions. In the end I just want the best scenario for both fish and owners. Sometimes things just might not be a good idea, even though we can get away with it.

czoolander

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't mean to climb up on a pedestal. With rising costs and constant forum posts of disease and fish is tanks much too small, it's just a peave of mine. I care for my animals and want the best for them. I do what I can to try and discourage some of the fringe decisions. In the end I just want the best scenario for both fish and owners. Sometimes things just might not be a good idea, even though we can get away with it.
I think we all want what is best for the fish and I agree with you 100% on bigger tank being better however I guess we can disagree on putting 1 purple tang in a 75 gallon tank .

For refrence I have 109 gallon tank. I have had a single Tomini tang in there for months . I am going to add 1 purple tang eventually but I realize that is max capacity for tangs in my tank. Its not like I have a sailfin , powder brown, clown tang . I would love all those but its not meant to be LOL

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unless you're looking for a specific rare species, rainbowfishes are pretty easy to find. Petco/Petsmart usually at least stock Boesmani, turquoise, praecox, etc.

jkcoral

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I planned to get a 75 gallon planted rainbowfish tank, but due to the rainbowfish being out of stock, I decided on saltwater. Would a purple tang go in a 75 for many years
B89AD913-1FE6-4423-AA6B-FFF4C9DF60A0.jpeg

We received a call from a concerned citizen about suspicious activity. Just here to take a look around.

Jokes aside, 75g will be too small for any extended amount of time, and certainly not able to work for several years time.

jkcoral

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My 2-cents: I have a Purple Tang in a 150. When I use my mind’s-eye to mentally cut my tank in half (75 gallons), I just don’t see it being happy.

I like the way you think about it like that. Good point.

I always try to think of it in terms of dogs. There are some types of dogs that are not the best idea to own if you live in an apartment complex because of their high energy and need for tons of exercise and room to run. In general, it would be better to wait until you have a backyard and ample space to have the best situation for all involved. Alternatively, there are some dogs that don’t need a ton of exercise or space like small lapdogs that are more than good with a solid 30 minute to one hour walk a day.

Ultra Aquatics

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
My 2-cents: I have a Purple Tang in a 150. When I use my mind’s-eye to mentally cut my tank in half (75 gallons), I just don’t see it being happy.
Unless your 150 is 8 ft long it’s not really a fair comparison. Most will tell you a 6ft long tank for most tangs, a 75 would be 4 feet. So 12” on each side is the difference between a “happy” purple tang and a stunted, angry one?

HudsonReefer2.0

Algae Happens
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
To the op. When it comes tangs the larger the system the better. A longer tank suites then well Like a 125, 6feet But hey if U get a juvenile PT and keep it healthy it may need to get re home after some time. Good luck.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Purple tang should be ok in a 75g as long as you maintain good water quality and diet.
To end all argument, here is My 135g - Nothing- is impossible

1645053244873.png
1645053270011.png

jkcoral

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Purple tang should be ok in a 75g as long as you maintain good water quality and diet.
To end all argument, here is My 135g - Nothing- is impossible

1645053244873.png
1645053270011.png

I love your gem tang, they are such beautiful fish. Very jealous!

You have a gorgeous pack of fish. That copper band looks huge!

Do you have any issues with aggression? Who is the “tank boss” (or maybe “tang boss”)?

HudsonReefer2.0

Algae Happens
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Well a warrant isn’t called in, they are generated based on the nature of the complaint and degree of the crime, if it’s an indictable offense or disorderly person offense. After actor is arrested, the defendant has an assessment conducted based on his or her criminal history and is released or sent to the jail where they see a judge. Any thing less would go on a special complaint summons and sent to the courts for a probable cause hearing and sent to the defendant via mail in lieu of an arrest with a required court appearance. Since ya brought it up. Lol.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
I love your gem tang, they are such beautiful fish. Very jealous!

You have a gorgeous pack of fish. That copper band looks huge!

Do you have any issues with aggression? Who is the “tank boss” (or maybe “tang boss”)?
Zero aggression and this is my latest addition:

1645054499616.png

czoolander

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can someone post my bail? Tang police came at me hard today haha
Here’s mine that was in the 4ft 80g for about 5 years. Been in the 280 for a year now.
1EEFA5F4-FE71-45AD-A1E0-C2D5989D801E.jpeg
Nice juvi emperor angelfish !!!!!!!!! wow that is going to be such a treat to watch that grow and morph into the adult coloration !!!!!!!

This is my dream fish !!!!!!!! Super jealous I am WOW WOW WOW :0

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 57 74.0%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 9 11.7%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 9 11.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.6%
Back