Purple tang in 75 gallon

czoolander

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If someone has a 14" purple tang they should mount it on one of those fish placards fisherman use when it dies since they are supposed to max at 10"
I would love to see a 14" - 16" purple tang

We have the tang police......... I wonder if there is a ADTA anti doping tang agency? people out there just juicing their tangs making them mutant sizes

Nori and Steroids . Breakfast of champions haha

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMHO - you can do whatever you want. Also IMHO - 75 gallons is on the small side. The reason I say this is they do tend to get jumpy in small tanks - and territorial.

But - its funny (to me) - I know I will get criticism for this 'heresy' - but - the people (like me) that have tangs in 5 foot tanks say thats enough. The people that have 6 foot tanks say thats required. The people that have 8 foot tanks say thats required, etc etc etc.

In reality - very few of the fish ANY of us keep - let alone tangs - are in a tank anywhere NEAR the size of their natural range. There is quite a bit of research on this as a matter of fact. So - rather than "arguing" about 4, 5, 6, 7, or 8 foot tanks - maybe we shoudl be discussing whether its appropriate to keep tangs at all? (and angelfish, and triggers, etc)
Yes but if you look at a fully grown Zebrasoma gemmatum in a 4’ tank then compare it to the same fish in a 8-10’ tank, you will realise that fish looks SO much happier. I agree that we should be discussing wether the average reef keeper should be owning a tang, but if we go there then should we be owning any fish? No, but is it better than nothing? Most likely. I mean, if you look at the way the oceans are going and use the Bangaii cardinal as an example, captivity may be better for these animals.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

We have the tang police......... I wonder if there is a ADTA anti doping tang agency? people out there just juicing their tangs making them mutant sizes

It’s not a mutant size, it’s the fish being fed enough and properly making it grow. Also there’s a thought of how every fish gets 80% of what it’s max size is in captivity. So if you do 10 x 0.8 you’ll still have a VERY large fish. But it’s your opinion and IMHO, the only tang that is overlooked but truly suitable for captivity are smaller Ctenochaetus. Leave the larger tangs for people with 8-10’ tanks. I’ve seen a Sohal in a 8’ tank behave completely different in a 10’x4’x3’ tank.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Yes but if you look at a fully grown Zebrasoma gemmatum in a 4’ tank then compare it to the same fish in a 8-10’ tank, you will realise that fish looks SO much happier. I agree that we should be discussing wether the average reef keeper should be owning a tang, but if we go there then should we be owning any fish? No, but is it better than nothing? Most likely. I mean, if you look at the way the oceans are going and use the Bangaii cardinal as an example, captivity may be better for these animals.
I (after decades) am not able to figure out when a fish is 'happy'. I can see when its stressed. You're right some tangs are stressed-appearing in a 4 foot tank. Some are 'stressed' in an 8 foot tank. Some people keep tangs in am manner similar to cichlids - like a pet. They are not stressed. Someone said - I believe that purple tangs can be 8-10 inches. Has anyone seen one (in captivity)

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
It’s not a mutant size, it’s the fish being fed enough and properly making it grow. Also there’s a thought of how every fish gets 80% of what it’s max size is in captivity. So if you do 10 x 0.8 you’ll still have a VERY large fish. But it’s your opinion and IMHO, the only tang that is overlooked but truly suitable for captivity are smaller Ctenochaetus. Leave the larger tangs for people with 8-10’ tanks. I’ve seen a Sohal in a 8’ tank behave completely different in a 10’x4’x3’ tank.
One issue is the other inhabitants. If we're going to look at 'happiness' -

1. In the wild tangs are more of a schooling fish at least many of them most people do not keep them in schools - even in an 8 foot tank. My 2 yellow tangs - in a 5 foot tank - literally hang out together - basically have their territory - and do not seem stressed. The purple tang hangs out with the tusk - and they 'patrol' the tank together - but certainly aren't stressed.

2. I would assume - that breeding - makes a fish 'happy' - a single member of a species thus will likely not be as happy - whether in an 8 foot or 4 foot tank.

3. Tangs can travel (not for 'fun' - but for 'food') - at least thats the research I've found - but lets pretend its for 'fun' - to be 'happy' - the distances traveled in the wild are so different than an 8 foot tank - IMHO - they shouldn't be any more 'happy' in a 8 vs 6 foot tank.

I don't know - I'm not in a fish's brain:)... I also am not supporting keeping tangs in small tanks etc. I do find it odd that there is a 'tang police' but not a 'trigger police' - given the fact that triggers travel further than tangs on average (at least certain genus'

J1a

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One issue is the other inhabitants. If we're going to look at 'happiness' -

1. In the wild tangs are more of a schooling fish at least many of them most people do not keep them in schools - even in an 8 foot tank. My 2 yellow tangs - in a 5 foot tank - literally hang out together - basically have their territory - and do not seem stressed. The purple tang hangs out with the tusk - and they 'patrol' the tank together - but certainly aren't stressed.

2. I would assume - that breeding - makes a fish 'happy' - a single member of a species thus will likely not be as happy - whether in an 8 foot or 4 foot tank.

3. Tangs can travel (not for 'fun' - but for 'food') - at least thats the research I've found - but lets pretend its for 'fun' - to be 'happy' - the distances traveled in the wild are so different than an 8 foot tank - IMHO - they shouldn't be any more 'happy' in a 8 vs 6 foot tank.

I don't know - I'm not in a fish's brain:)... I also am not supporting keeping tangs in small tanks etc. I do find it odd that there is a 'tang police' but not a 'trigger police' - given the fact that triggers travel further than tangs on average (at least certain genus'
I'm just about to respond about the chance to breed, and you beat me to it.

Im in complete agreement with you on point 3.

We just need to observe our fishes: are they relaxed? Do they graze most of the time? Do they lap restlessly? Do they glass surf? It's easy to tell if a fish is in it's element, or if it has unmet needs.

OP
OP
R

RV Reefs

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry, I'm late with the Tang Police gif on this one...

polyppalgif1.gif

I think a single purple tang might be fine in a 75, but if you are a new to marine fish husbandry, id suggest getting an easier starter fish.
Already have a saltwater tank. Though the tang police gif is a good one. May go for a yellow instead of a purple.

Gatorpa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

No kidding, been in this for 25 years, never seen a PT anywhere near 14”. Need photos to believe that

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 20 8.0%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 44 17.5%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 169 67.3%
  • Neither.

Votes: 12 4.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.4%
Back