Purple tang in 75 gallon

LPS Bum

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I planned to get a 75 gallon planted rainbowfish tank, but due to the rainbowfish being out of stock, I decided on saltwater. Would a purple tang go in a 75 for many years
I’ve kept my Purple Tang in a 4 foot, 75 gallon reef for 12 years and counting. It’s always been healthy and has done well. Don’t let the Tang police tell you otherwise.

tmcd94

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My blamingi went from 4” to 11 with 7 months
D4B9F48C-AF80-4829-B131-4D6D3E5D39CF.jpeg
Wow... Look at that setup. Absolutely beautiful, and the tangs look thick!

J1a

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Perhaps we ought to consider why tangs need so much space and so much "exercise" in the wild; are these reasons remain valid in a captive environment.

In the natural reef, food, and energy, is fiercely competed for. There is no sensible reason why fishes such as tangs need to do laps around the reef to burn off extra calories. On the contrary, they cover vast distances to find food, and defend said space to protect their food source. Food is scarce in the reef.

Does this still apply in a captive reef?

JumboShrimp

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
B4536E9B-B7A0-466A-A350-BA9366F76EBC.jpeg

Interestingly enough, my Purple Tang has this favorite spot on one end of my 150, and another favorite spot that it will glide to in the middle of the tank; so it’s not really using all of the tank’s real estate when it can. But for aggression purposes I’m glad it’s in a 150.

hart24601

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a purple in a 120 4x2x2 and eventually gave it away. I felt bad for it as the tank seemed too small. It would dash from one side to the other almost instantly and then swim up and down the side glass for hours. At least for my fish that indicated the tank was too small. Tank was fed 6x a day and it was fat and had nori to graze. Now a different purple might have been happy, idk, but it stresses me out to see such a clearly unhappy animal in my care.

GARRIGA

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Curious how many have actually kept a PT in a 75 and failed.

reefiniteasy

Check me out on IG!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I find it kind of ironic that so many say no to the purple tang in a 75 gallon but those same people don’t criticize Vetteguy for that many fish, including tangs in his 135g (I personally see nothing wrong with either).

I think the proper response to this post is do your research and make the most educated decision possible. Don’t base your decision on what I would or would not do. It’s not my tank or money.

JumboShrimp

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I respect that, @hart24601. I think anyone paying attention like you did would pick up on stress-signs, such as unnatural swim behavior. Of course we can’t overlook fish ‘personalities’ on either end of the bell curve. People are always talking about their aggressive Purples; mine is a cry baby. Lol.

reefiniteasy

Check me out on IG!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Perhaps we ought to consider why tangs need so much space and so much "exercise" in the wild; are these reasons remain valid in a captive environment.

In the natural reef, food, and energy, is fiercely competed for. There is no sensible reason why fishes such as tangs need to do laps around the reef to burn off extra calories. On the contrary, they cover vast distances to find food, and defend said space to protect their food source. Food is scarce in the reef.

Does this still apply in a captive reef?
If that behavior is instinctual, then yes, it would apply in captivity unless of course if the fish can learn that it’s not necessary.

gbroadbridge

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I find it kind of ironic that so many say no to the purple tang in a 75 gallon but those same people don’t criticize Vetteguy for that many fish, including tangs in his 135g (I personally see nothing wrong with either).

I think the proper response to this post is do your research and make the most educated decision possible. Don’t base your decision on what I would or would not do. It’s not my tank or money.
Vetteguy has decades of experience, whereas the OP clearly stated it was going to be his first marine tank.

reefiniteasy

Check me out on IG!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Vetteguy has decades of experience, whereas the OP clearly stated it was going to be his first marine tank.
Totally. But people can’t get up on their high horse, and then make exceptions. “Oh it’s okay, he has the experience.” That just doesn’t make sense to me. We can’t claim, no don’t do it, it’s not okay for the fish’s heath but then make exceptions based on experience.

If someone is not okay with a certain size fish being in a certain size tank, experience doesn’t/shouldn’t change that argument. Which is why I find it ironic. People will tell someone new don’t do it, but excuse similar behavior from others. It’s hypocritical.

To each his own. I have no issues with one doing anything to/with THEIR tank or fish.

Last edited:

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I planned to get a 75 gallon planted rainbowfish tank, but due to the rainbowfish being out of stock, I decided on saltwater. Would a purple tang go in a 75 for many years

main issue is purple tangs can be huge jerks. A yellow may be a bit less of an butt.

Maybe plan out a stocking list with compatible tank mates and stick too it. Add the tang last.

polyppal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry, I'm late with the Tang Police gif on this one...

polyppalgif1.gif

I think a single purple tang might be fine in a 75, but if you are a new to marine fish husbandry, id suggest getting an easier starter fish.

Dburr1014

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Dburr1014 has the ‘show fish with a few smaller fish for color’ approach; the Purple Tang is the star. Thumbs-up.
Yes, pair of clowns, Royal Gramma, sunburst anthias, and new acquired algae blenny (not so colorful).
Thanks
Edit; I have not seen any aggression or any strange swimming patterns from the Tang in the past 6 years I've had it.

muzikalmatt

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Totally. But people can’t get up on their high horse, and then make exceptions. “Oh it’s okay, he has the experience.” That just doesn’t make sense to me. We can’t claim, no don’t do it, it’s not okay for the fish’s heath but then make exceptions based on experience.

If someone is not okay with a certain size fish being in a certain size tank, experience doesn’t/shouldn’t change that argument. Which is why I find it ironic. People will tell someone new don’t do it, but excuse similar behavior from others. It’s hypocritical.

To each his own. I have no issues with one doing anything to/with THEIR tank or fish.
At least from my perspective, I don't think the answers provided were intended to scold or shame someone for putting a PT in a smaller tank; it's more to inform a new reefer on potential success rates and give them the best chance to succeed. Ultimately the question should really boil down to: "Can it be done?" not "Should it be done?" Reefers are always going to disagree on the size tanks that fish should be kept in, but we can at least provide evidence/examples of if it can be done and let the OP make an informed decision.

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He forgets to mention that he has a 600+ gallon display. I think this tank is a temporary situation while he moves it or something.

J1a

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On the topic of tang and accommodation, I consider the moments immediately before and after light off the most telling observation time for community dynamics.

If the fishes don't start to become more restless as light off draws near, it's a sign that the social hierarchy is stable, and (almost) all fishes have their need for space met, even if at the bare minimum level.

If there is an increase in posturing, pacing or any stress behavior during those period. Then I consider the accomdation is inadequate.

This observation is important because it allows us to catch the sign of fishes out growing their original hide. We can rectify the problem before further aggression kicks in.

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 158 74.9%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 16 7.6%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 33 15.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.9%
Back