Purple tang possible ich?

Arcu2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought this purple tang October 7 and he went straight into my DT because the LFS I go to actually puts them through a month quarantine before even selling them. The main reason why I bought from them vs other LFS near me. Anyways, earlier I came home for lunch around 1pm because I found out the power went out for about and hour so I checked on the fish to make sure eveything was good. Which it was so I went back to work. When I came back home around 5pm the purple tang had these white spots on it that weren’t there earlier. The only other fish in the tank is a pair of clowns that have nothing on them so I’m stumped on what this could be. I’ve had fish with velvet and ich and this looks different to me. Could the power outage have stressed the tang out and caused these spots? Here’s a video of the fish. I have a qt tank ready to go if I need to pull and treat them. Here’s a video and some pics

403CED9B-B0E7-48FC-B5C4-11964F8CD676.png DBFA2FBB-2FAC-42B2-A2CF-89F04464D035.png E33D7ACE-1BED-4058-94E7-2E07BD52ECAB.png 535CC437-7F4C-402F-AC49-B75A7F4F7151.png

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I bought this purple tang October 7 and he went straight into my DT because the LFS I go to actually puts them through a month quarantine before even selling them. The main reason why I bought from them vs other LFS near me. Anyways, earlier I came home for lunch around 1pm because I found out the power went out for about and hour so I checked on the fish to make sure eveything was good. Which it was so I went back to work. When I came back home around 5pm the purple tang had these white spots on it that weren’t there earlier. The only other fish in the tank is a pair of clowns that have nothing on them so I’m stumped on what this could be. I’ve had fish with velvet and ich and this looks different to me. Could the power outage have stressed the tang out and caused these spots? Here’s a video of the fish. I have a qt tank ready to go if I need to pull and treat them. Here’s a video and some pics

403CED9B-B0E7-48FC-B5C4-11964F8CD676.png DBFA2FBB-2FAC-42B2-A2CF-89F04464D035.png E33D7ACE-1BED-4058-94E7-2E07BD52ECAB.png 535CC437-7F4C-402F-AC49-B75A7F4F7151.png
Ich it is and needs to be treated in quarantine at your soonest. Best treatment would be coppersafe or general cure with coppersafe my choice at therapuetic level 2.25-2.5 monitored with a reliable copper test kit such as Hanna brand, not Api
Also monitor ammonia level with a reliable test kit during treatment and would not be a bad idea to add an air stone for added oxygen during treatment
You will also need to leave display tank FishLess (Fallow) for at least 6-8 weeks to assure the cysts and trophants have completed their life cycle without a host and have died off

OP
OP
Arcu2

Arcu2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ich it is and needs to be treated in quarantine at your soonest. Best treatment would be coppersafe or general cure with coppersafe my choice at therapuetic level 2.25-2.5 monitored with a reliable copper test kit such as Hanna brand, not Api
Also monitor ammonia level with a reliable test kit during treatment and would not be a bad idea to add an air stone for added oxygen during treatment
You will also need to leave display tank FishLess (Fallow) for at least 6-8 weeks to assure the cysts and trophants have completed their life cycle without a host and have died off
I have copper power on hand right now would that be the same as copper safe?

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0

bnord

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good looking fish and seems an early diagnosis-hopefully good prognosis.. and understand you now need a post fallow strategy… QT four new fish, possibly UV to keep safe..

OP
OP
Arcu2

Arcu2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good looking fish and seems an early diagnosis-hopefully good prognosis.. and understand you now need a post fallow strategy… QT four new fish, possibly UV to keep safe..
Yea kinda bummed about the fallow process. My kids love these fish so it’s gonna suck not having them in the main display. Should’ve never trusted a shop to do what I should’ve done in the first place :confused-face: I’ll qt from here on out.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

It does look like a minor case of ich, and purple tangs are really prone to getting that, and often show symptoms before any other fish. If left untreated, it will spread and be fatal. However, something in the photos is bothering me - I only see spots on right side of the fish. Ich is more randomly spread all over the fish and on its fins. Some of the spots look a bit large as well.

If the spots have changed location and numbers, then it is more likely ich. If they are in the same location after 48 hours, it may not be ich.

Treating this fish is going to be tough - it is pretty good sized and you will need to treat all fish in the tank. Do you have a treatment tank that can hold them all?

Jay

OP
OP
Arcu2

Arcu2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It does look like a minor case of ich, and purple tangs are really prone to getting that, and often show symptoms before any other fish. If left untreated, it will spread and be fatal. However, something in the photos is bothering me - I only see spots on right side of the fish. Ich is more randomly spread all over the fish and on its fins. Some of the spots look a bit large as well.

If the spots have changed location and numbers, then it is more likely ich. If they are in the same location after 48 hours, it may not be ich.

Treating this fish is going to be tough - it is pretty good sized and you will need to treat all fish in the tank. Do you have a treatment tank that can hold them all?

Jay
I noticed more spots on the right side as well. Also some of the white dots can’t be seen when its side is facing me it’s until the fish turns its body that they become visible. If that makes any sense. I tried to capture it on video as best as I could.

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
@vetteguy53081 when should I dose the general cure? The purple tang and 2 clowns are in 2.25 ppm of copper power right now.
Stick with coppersafe FULL 30 days at levels listed above. More effective for ich

nbooks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i have a petco recue purple in qt right now, saturday will be 3 weeks in copper at a about 2.1-2.2

my fish had a significant case of what im calling ich for now, some on another forum thought velvet based on quantity of spots, but he was asymptomatic.

in my case it took about 2 weeks before fish seemed to change demeanor and "feel better". just a data point for you.

OP
OP
Arcu2

Arcu2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As I said in my last post the fish are in copper now but I wanted to post this video. The morning after posting the video the fish was clear of any white spots and this was left on the right side. Im still going to keep it in qt and keep my DT fallow but should I be worried about this spot?

8FA436EB-B501-44DD-8A60-8AC1583E2E27.jpeg

The white spot towards the back was just something floating around in the tank.

OP
OP
Arcu2

Arcu2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i have a petco recue purple in qt right now, saturday will be 3 weeks in copper at a about 2.1-2.2

my fish had a significant case of what im calling ich for now, some on another forum thought velvet based on quantity of spots, but he was asymptomatic.

in my case it took about 2 weeks before fish seemed to change demeanor and "feel better". just a data point for you.
Nice to hear! Hope everything goes good for you.

nbooks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As I said in my last post the fish are in copper now but I wanted to post this video. The morning after posting the video the fish was clear of any white spots and this was left on the right side. Im still going to keep it in qt and keep my DT fallow but should I be worried about this spot?

not the easiest fish to examine is it LOL - dont forget that the white spots are not the ich trophants themselves but a mucus build up/reaction to the parasite digging into the outer layers of skin. This is why they can take some time to clear. ich will feed on a fish for 3-7 days before falling off, only the free swimming form is suscpetible to copper though.

OP
OP
Arcu2

Arcu2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Purple is looking good and eating really well. Here’s some pics of I took today. I really appreciate the help guys!

Attachments

• B214A747-7740-41EF-AC3D-A44A2E58E9CD.jpeg
    B214A747-7740-41EF-AC3D-A44A2E58E9CD.jpeg
    89.3 KB · Views: 22
  • 7BC521D4-BDE5-46D8-8E3D-D807AE349105.jpeg
    7BC521D4-BDE5-46D8-8E3D-D807AE349105.jpeg
    84.3 KB · Views: 27
OP
OP
Arcu2

Arcu2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everybody just updating this post. So the full 30 days of copper is coming up soon and I’m wondering about removing the copper power in the water. Should I throw a bag of cuprisorb in there or just do partial water changes for a few days until it reads 0?

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 16 16.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 5 5.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 16 16.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 50 52.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 8.4%
Back