Purple tang! Second time with ich

Redfoxtang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
How is the breathing rate? Usually that is a good indication that velvet is present. If still swimming normal and eating normal then it would be just Ich present and just a relapse at a much more severe case of Ich. I would wait to make any judgement call until @Jay Hemdal gets his eye on it.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There swimming and eating as normal, not swimming in to flow
This isn’t velvet, it is a severe case of Cryptocaryon, ich. The polyp lab isn’t working. Raising the water change is the exact wrong thing to do with marine ich, it just speeds up the life cycle. It does work with freshwater ich, but has been misapplied with marine ich. The number of trophonts on the tang tells me that you are at a very serious juncture; when these all drop off and form an even larger number of theronts, the fish is going to be overwhelmed.
I know you don’t want to hear this, but your only good chance to save these fish is to move them to a solid QT and dose copper, but you may already be past the point where you can keep additional fish from dying even if you do that - sorry!
Jay

OP
OP
rubertoe93

rubertoe93

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t know how big is your tank but did you observe any aggression between the two? Both are Zebrasoma so they can be likely to go at it with each other, the stress weakens their immune systems and gives disease a chance.

If you can’t QT, UV, diet and water parameters and hope for the best.
There was nothing between them, when I added them they were both with each other none stop

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How is the breathing rate? Usually that is a good indication that velvet is present. If still swimming normal and eating normal then it would be just Ich present and just a relapse at a much more severe case of Ich. I would wait to make any judgement call until @Jay Hemdal gets his eye on it.
Hi, I agree, based on the OP’s comments, I think this is Cryptocaryon....
Jay

OP
OP
rubertoe93

rubertoe93

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This isn’t velvet, it is a severe case of Cryptocaryon, ich. The polyp lab isn’t working. Raising the water change is the exact wrong thing to do with marine ich, it just speeds up the life cycle. It does work with freshwater ich, but has been misapplied with marine ich. The number of trophonts on the tang tells me that you are at a very serious juncture; when these all drop off and form an even larger number of theronts, the fish is going to be overwhelmed.
I know you don’t want to hear this, but your only good chance to save these fish is to move them to a solid QT and dose copper, but you may already be past the point where you can keep additional fish from dying even if you do that - sorry!
OK have you added anything else recently that came down with ich?
Nothing since the tangs last week, noticed the ich the day after adding them

IKD

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Nothing since the tangs last week, noticed the ich the day after adding them
Sounds like they went right into the display without quarantine so likely infected from the store. If you want, you should let the store you bought it from know as they may want to know (if they didn’t know already).

OP
OP
rubertoe93

rubertoe93

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bummer. Where did you get the fish? What is the condition of the other fish at the place you got them from?

They might have been fighting when you weren’t looking.
I buy all my fish from them, there always in good condition, and medicate there systems, I have spoken to him previously and told him it’s died 3 days after adding it, and he replied saying ich is a symbiotic Relationship that works with the fish until one outways the other, as it lives with in the fish it’s extremely hard to rid your system 100%

OP
OP
rubertoe93

rubertoe93

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like they went right into the display without quarantine so likely infected from the store. If you want, you should let the store you bought it from know as they may want to know (if they didn’t know already).
Yeah I spoke with them as soon as my yellow tang had died

kenchilada

Palytoxin Abuser
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I buy all my fish from them, there always in good condition, and medicate there systems, I have spoken to him previously and told him it’s died 3 days after adding it, and he replied saying ich is a symbiotic Relationship that works with the fish until one outways the other, as it lives with in the fish it’s extremely hard to rid your system 100%
Symbiotic? What’s the fish getting out of it?

Redfoxtang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I’m sorry but that is not true. You can rid your system of Ich 100%. Taking different precautions of how fish enter your system and quarantine fish is a good start.

Arabyps

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I don’t think I’m going to be able to set it up and get it sorted and cycled by the time it completes its life cycle,
When people add garlic and vitamin c to there food, can I buy that from the local supermarket?
There have been many comments and suggestions already. My goal here is to give you my opinion going forward. If you will not quarantine (recommend Hybrid TTM), at the very least purchase livestock from a vendor who does quarantine (i.e. TSM Aquatics among others). Diver's Den does a partial quarantine and delivers very healthy livestock. You also might consider using Safety Stop before adding to your DT (I do this with Diver's Den but not TSM since TSM performs a full quarantine and prophylactic medication). See links below:

IKD

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I wouldn’t really call it a symbiotic relationship since the fish gets nothing from it. It’s really a parasitic relationship with the fish as the host. Treatment is to use copper or go fishless for 76+ days. It’s only extremely hard if you can’t remove the fish easily and place in a separate treatment tank. Best of luck!!

Arabyps

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Time to find a new LFS.

Ribo15

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could have lead to the ich outbreak for sure but is not “responsible” for the ich. My tank has ich and I do the management route. My yellow and sailfin have little tiffs from time to time and at the start my blue regal would get stressed and spots would appear now they are all used to the situation and I rarely see any spots. Good quality food, lots of rock work for hiding and a quality UV. That’s my route. Can’t be bothered to QT.
Although I do agree ich at that stage does not look promising.

Arabyps

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What do you think of the idea that his Yellow and Purple were fighting when he wasn’t noticing, considering they’re both Zebrasoma, and that both had their immune systems compromised by stress?
Doubtful. Fighting doesn't cause ich. It is already there and the stress may overwhelm the fish's immune response. The fish had ich or the tank has ich (may even be velvet). The tank needs to go fallow for 76+ days to eliminate the parasites. In future they need to QT or purchase QT'd fish to keep the parasites out of the tank. No one said reefing is easy.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 68 37.6%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 60 33.1%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 13.8%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 15.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back