Purple Tang turned white

Skynyrd Fish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would try to get the fish in a qt and treat with copper power. However if you treat your tank you can have corals again. You will need to do some massive water changes and run cuprasorb for a few months to absorb any leaching. Here’s a pic of my tank. I had .17 ppm copper in august from a bad prob holder magnet and some how my ro/di unit got copper bombed. The inside of the ro membrane housing was teal. Currently my copper tests at .04 on my Hanna. However my ATI test two months ago said undetectable. After my magnet blew up I will always run cuprasorb as a precaution. It saved my corals.
image.jpg

NJDragonet

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If he can survive put him in a bucket with the water he is in and start adding more water from the tank you want him in slowly kinda like acclamation if he does survive put herbtana in there right away

dvanrij

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The tang died around 2am last night, I’m definitely upset about it and was up all night. I did match the ph, I didn’t have any air stones to aerate the bath which is probably where I went wrong, I saw a few YouTube videos where people didn’t have one so I assumed I’d be fine. I woke up this morning to all my other fish also having white spots. I amazon primed a air stone last night and my QT tank is coming Wednesday, my plan is to hopefully move my anemone to that QT tank and treat my display tank with all my fish in it as I only have the one invertebrate. I have metroplex and focus on hand, I will feed in some of the focus as I’m also attempting not to kill my anemone. I will try and get some good pictures of my other fish that seem to have the new white spots.
Aqua medic!!!!! Great stuff and reef safe

Sticker shock

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used polyplab medic, but I don't think it would be a solution to a big outbreak. Probably better to use it in an ich management system. My Tang showed no signs of improving during the course of treatment, but my blenny and goby seemed to clear up. Eventually I ended up pulling the fish for proper QT.

Zoas and Euphyllia didn't like it either as they closed up real fast after dosing.

ZoWhat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I get the concept of FW dips

....but if I had the Flu running 103degree temp I wouldnt expect my spouse to throw me in a tub of 27degree tub of ice brine slurry fir 4 mins dunking my head under water to SHOCK the virus out of me.

Wait I think.i.just gave her the excuse to kill me for insurance $$$$

;Wideyed

saltyhog

blowing bubbles somewhere
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A lot of the reef safe "cures" (make that all of them) are not effective in eliminating ich. It may be they don't really help at all. The natural life cycle of ich makes it look like they work as it can not be visible for a while before breaking out in numbers again. The only known effective treatments are copper, chloroquine phosphate, tank transfer method and hyposalinity. Everything else is a band aid....useful if you just want to try and live with it/manage it.

pdxmonkeyboy

Sticks!! Give me the sticks!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since the OP is rather newish to QT practices and what not, I would strongly advise you to get your hands Chloroquine phosphate (CP). It is a one and done treatment for ich and since you are starting a new hospital tank, it will be ideal for CP since there will be no biofilm.

There are like 43,000 posts and stickies about setting up a qt tank. You can get everything for under $100.

20 gallon tank, aquaclear hang on back filter, heater, ammonia badge, a bottle of prime, and some CP. A lid is also a good idea as are some big PVC fittings for fish to hide in.

Copper works as well but you need a solid tester to accurately measure it.

Pau Hana Reefer

got reef?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry to hear you lost your purple tang. Hope you're able to successfully help your other fish get better.

What size QT did you get? And at this point knowing you have ich in you DT, you'll want it to go fallow for 76 days. Looks like you have a good support crew to help you along the way.

OP
OP
Purple•Tang

Purple•Tang

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry to hear you lost your purple tang. Hope you're able to successfully help your other fish get better.

What size QT did you get? And at this point knowing you have ich in you DT, you'll want it to go fallow for 76 days. Looks like you have a good support crew to help you along the way.
I got the fluval evo XII for my hospital tank, it’s 13.5 gallons. It comes in Wednesday.

Terri Caton

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry for your loss. We have all been through it.... This will be a great learning experience for you certainly....
Again sorry you lost the fish. We are always here to help...

Sadly too true :(. We’ve all been there. Probably more than once. It’s terrible that there is such a learning curve in this hobby and we’re learning on living creatures.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
When treating for parasites, best chance of treating and recovery is when the fish are eating. You can add focus and similar to their foods for positive induction of medication.
freshwater baths are effective but also offer a stress impact on given fish . It is therefore important to positively identify what the issue is and develop a recourse for treatment and recovery
There’s many diseases in this hobby that are similar making i.d. difficult but can be distinguished with an example- flukes. A FW dip will verify cause and required treatment.

Jose Berry

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ICH sucks and it’s taken a few of my lovely fish. I am slowly getting better at it and in forms of curing and prevention too.

I haven’t done fresh water dips, I’ve learned that ICH has a 24-48 hr life span and will jump from host to host. If your already seeing it on one fish chances are every one has it. They are light dependent so keeping a qt with no lights at a lower temperate then the display tank Ive dropped as low as 70 to slow the growth and monitor my fish. I also keep on feeding healthy food. Your goal aside helping the fish is catching it when it’s fallen off the fish. That means it’s restarting it’s cycle. I’ve done daily water changes using the DT water and kept at it. It took me about 3 weeks and some days but the fish recovered and showed no more signs of it. I monitored every one while this was going on to make sure I did not have a break out. As for prevention I run 2 sterilizers that are in the sump and both run fairly slow roughly 450gph for the size sterilizer I have to potentially get water born parasites.
I’m sorry this happened to you.

Heist

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just finished a cycle of poly labs reef medic and it definitely worked, all fish are now ich free at least visibly. At one point some of the fish were covered with ich. All corals are fine except my acan who looks like it took a beating but I read somewhere that the softies might be more affected so it could just be that I need a water change. The thing is you have to be consistent with it in order to be effective and use it exactly as it is directed. Good luck hopefully it works for you too!

Timvangthomas1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I didn’t do a freshwater dip for 1 hour. I did a freshwater dip for 4 minutes. I then took water from my current tank (into a bucket) and treated that with paraguard and placed her into that for an hour. I kept her moving both times and she seemed fine right before I put her into my display tank, thanks for the advice.
Sorry for your loss brother, sounds like you really tried to save him. Sometimes there's nothing we can do. Except learn what we can. 4 minutes shouldn't hurt him, but any amount could cause stress, and more so if other parameters are far different from those of the water he's accustomed. The rapid color loss and behavior sounds like stress or possible shock, usually i avoid dipping a d handling sick or wounded fish if possible for fear of making it worse. But I have no problem doing so with new arrivals to help with parasites, and because you are already handling them anyway. Medicine also can cause quite a bit of stress, and potentially harmful if misdiagnosed.. but that's me. Keep your head up. Start thinking about your next fish, that usually cheers me up.

That other guy who told you you should stop enjoying this hobby should probably read the thread before he spews all his knowledge and insults.

Royce White

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The 2 times that I got ich in my freshwater tank I increased the temp up to 82 and 85 degrees and killed the ich. Has anyone in a saltwater tank and did it work?

sde1500

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The 2 times that I got ich in my freshwater tank I increased the temp up to 82 and 85 degrees and killed the ich. Has anyone in a saltwater tank and did it work?
This does not work for marine ICH

Isabel’s Hobby

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had ich and marine velvet ... I’ve lost many fish I tried the dip I tried every medication out there I haven’t yet found the perfect solution
My last go around was 3 years ago none of the stuff I was told was helping. my fish looked worse every day until it was to late. I’ve had it in my display tank and here is what I have learned .... to me none of the meds where making a fast or easy cure.
my clown couple the female was pretty big several years old and both of them where sick. Both of them I put quickly in fresh water for about 2-3 min max pulled them out and back in the tank. My female still died my male however got better. He still is happy and now the big one ;) Most of my fish was gone. Except my naso my cardinal couple and a yellow tang. Six line wrasses where getting better as well. All every single fish was severally infected and it went fast. The only one I dipped where the clowns. IMO I do not know why it turned around but after putting medicine for several days from my local Fishstore and doing water changes like a mad woman I actually gave up on the medicine that’s when I did the dip with the couple. I also that day believe it or not bought a fish yes I did ! I bought a blue streak cleaner wrasse. That tiny fish was having a thanksgiving dinner in that tank. Since then I have kept one of them in my tank ( the first one jumped out after a few weeks so i replaced that little guy ) anyway since then I never had ich again and these wrasses do clean all the other fish all day long.
I probably get someone yelling at me for adding a fish to an infected tank but that’s what I was told and i believe that little guy was in fact the savior for my 2 tanks and even the other smaller fish.

html

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
you could try to wipe your with concentrate of copper fish but do not touch the eyes also you can add h2o2 to aquarium ti get ich away It helped me before

Twìsted~Coral

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Noticed ICH on my purple tang around 9pm tonight, did a freshwater dip and then put into water from my tank that was in a bucket (same temp as my tank also) with paraguard in it for about an hour. She turned white basically after the freshwater dip. Now that I placed her back in our regular tank she’s gasping at the top for air, swimming vertacially and keeps getting stuck on my intake... she’s very white and eyes are bulging. Does she have a chance? Where did I go wrong? Thanks.
If you dip a fish in freshwater you have to make sure the PH is the freshwater is the same

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 47 16.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 18 6.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 35 12.3%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 165 57.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 6.7%
Back