Purple Tang turned white

Purple•Tang

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Noticed ICH on my purple tang around 9pm tonight, did a freshwater dip and then put into water from my tank that was in a bucket (same temp as my tank also) with paraguard in it for about an hour. She turned white basically after the freshwater dip. Now that I placed her back in our regular tank she’s gasping at the top for air, swimming vertacially and keeps getting stuck on my intake... she’s very white and eyes are bulging. Does she have a chance? Where did I go wrong? Thanks.

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
hi sorry to hear,imo,think shock dip after dip,and too long hour in dip ,just too much too quick,wish u the best

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ich is a infection where the the protozoa penetrate the skin and gill of the fish. White spots are not the pathogen, rather, these are the result the leaking of "fish stuff" through the wounds.
Internal infections like Ich do not response to fresh water dip. What your did just result in toxic affect to the fish but did nothing to the protozoa.
Fresh water dip only treat SURFACE PARASITES, exposed to fresh water cause damage to marine organism, cause cells to rupture. Marine organism live in about 35 ppt (part per thousand) solution. When they get place in fresh water, essentially 0-10 ppm (part per million in good RO water) their cell get ruptured killing them.
Large animals can withstand the toxic effect of fresh water longer than small/unicellular animals, but not 1 hr.
You caused great damages to you tang but did nothing to the protozoa since they are inside the fish, do not get exposed to fresh water.
Do better research on disease and treatment for your other fish please, or else stop keeping them.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Purple•Tang

Purple•Tang

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ich is a infection where the the protozoa penetrate the skin and gill of the fish. White spots are not the pathogen, rather, these are the result the leaking of "fish stuff" through the wounds.
Internal infections like Ich do not response to fresh water dip. What your did just result in toxic affect to the fish but did nothing to the protozoa.
Fresh water dip only treat SURFACE PARASITES, exposed to fresh water cause damage to marine organism, cause cells to rupture. Marine organism live in about 35 ppt (part per thousand) solution. When they get place in fresh water, essentially 0-10 ppm (part per million in good RO water) their cell get ruptured killing them.
Large animals can withstand the toxic effect of fresh water longer than small/unicellular animals, but not 1 hr.
You caused great damages to you tang but did nothing to the protozoa since they are inside the fish, do not get exposed to fresh water.
Do better research on disease and treatment for your other fish please, or else stop keeping them.
I didn’t do a freshwater dip for 1 hour. I did a freshwater dip for 4 minutes. I then took water from my current tank (into a bucket) and treated that with paraguard and placed her into that for an hour. I kept her moving both times and she seemed fine right before I put her into my display tank, thanks for the advice.

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I didn’t do a freshwater dip for 1 hour. I did a freshwater dip for 4 minutes. I then took water from my current tank (into a bucket) and treated that with paraguard and placed her into that for an hour. I kept her moving both times and she seemed fine right before I put her into my display tank, thanks for the advice.
Sorry I misread your first post. There are medication you can use to treat ich in QT or HT. I don't know if your treatment help. Certainly Ich is not an external parasites so any treatment with dips is not likely to help.

sfin52

So many pedestrians so little time
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Man that's harsh.

sfin52

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Responses line
There is no doubt the OP was trying to care for the fish IMO.
fully agree does t mean the op shouldn't keep fish. He made a mistake. We all have and saying the op shouldn't be keeping fish is over the line.

sfin52

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm sorry that sucks. I would have done the same as you. Keep your chin up. Keep watch on the other fish. You got this.

jsker

Reefing is all about the adventure
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For ick I would suggest getting seachem focus and seachem metroplex very quickly and mix with frozen food, then feed the system. The focus binds the metroplex to the food so that the fish will ingest the food. I would also suggest adding some vitamin C/multi-vitamin to the mix to help with the immune system's for the tank inhabitants and sick fish.

saltyhog

blowing bubbles somewhere
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's difficult to say exactly what happened. Freshwater dips can be stressful, especially to a fish already in dire straights. That and possibly oxygen depletion when in the bucket of tank water if there wasn't anything to create surface agitation while the fish was in there.

So sorry for your loss. There are two kinds of reefers. Those that have made mistakes and those that lie about it. :) The best thing to do is learn from our mistakes and get better at our craft. Don't hesitate to post questions in the Fish Disease forum and go ahead and peruse the stickies there on how to QT fish. It's very helpful.

ross0201

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is this the forum that advertises itself as the friendliest forum?

secret_reefer337

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nobody is perfect, we all make mistakes. The OP took the way he think is the best for his fish, meaning he cares for it. He might lack the experience but for somebody to crash him with harsh word is below the belt. Admit it you once have done terrible things from this hobby.

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
so true

Pau Hana Reefer

got reef?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ugh... I'm sorry you're dealing with ich. I'm dealing with ich with my new one spot foxface.

Agreed with others, sounds like you were trying to help. This hobby can be pretty overwhelming at times, and we can only do our best and learn for the future.

I got a lot of really good help in a thread I started a couple weeks ago. It might give you some additional insight into a treatment option if you have a QT. So far, my fish is doing okay and hopefully will also make it out alright. He still has another 1.5 months left in QT. https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/help-flukes-or-ich.680767/

Good luck and hope your fish is okay.

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is this the forum that advertises itself as the friendliest forum?
@sfin52 ,@ross0201
I need to take my spanking for misread @Purple•Tang first post.
My misread and resulting misunderstand cause me to think that Purple•Tang treatment regiment is highly toxic and not helpful. I suggest that he need to do better research on fish treatment or else not trying to keep fish.
I did apologize to him.

Sorry again to Purple•Tang, and any other reefers who were offended by my comments.

ross0201

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@sfin52 ,@ross0201
I need to take my spanking for misread @Purple•Tang first post.
My misread and resulting misunderstand cause me to think that Purple•Tang treatment regiment is highly toxic and not helpful. I suggest that he need to do better research on fish treatment or else not trying to keep fish.
I did apologize to him.

Sorry again to Purple•Tang, and any other reefers who were offended by my comments.
To be honest I would have said the same thing if you were right. I don't know why people are so caustic on the internet and I was feeling feisty.

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 32 17.5%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 31 16.9%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 33 18.0%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 79 43.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.4%
Back