Purples bleaching

Bouldereefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been having troubles with my purples bleaching to white. For example a blasto with purple rim and yellow center. The purple has bleached yet the yellow center is the same. Acanths with blue/purple bleach yet others with reds and oranges doing fine and growing. Favia purple out rim fading, center green fine. Any thoughts?
160 gal with sump and refuge.
Gen 2 Radions running SPS AB+ program
PAR: at the coral site 200-250
Salinity: 1.025
Salt: IO orange
pH: 8.1-8.2
Ca++: 410-450, calcium reactor
Nitrate: 4-5
Phosphate: < 0.001
Mg+: 1300
dKH: 9.5-10.5
no electric current by volt meter
Feed: mysis, copepods, reef roids, reef chili, all-for-reef
Thanks

Bryknicks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would say that its either lack of nutrients (PO4) or trace elements. Do you perform regular water changes? What are your nutrient export methods?

OP
OP
B

Bouldereefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Water changes are every two weeks. 20-25% each time. Not sure I understand nutrient export question. Water change, filter socks, protein skimmer and refuge. Was hoping all-for-reef from Tropic Marin would cover trace elements
It is odd as there is new growth on some of the corals, just no purple color (bleached out tissue)

Bryknicks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Post some pics when you can as I'm curious to see how they look. I would try to bring up the nutrients first to see if that helps. A couple options to do this are: adding more fish, feeding fish more, feeding corals more, cutting down on the fuge light time, cutting down on protein skimmer running time, cutting back on water changes to 10% bi-weekly.

With your current water changes and apparently using All for reef, then I doubt that trace elements are your issue at this point. If upping the nutrients don't work then it would be worthwhile to get an ICP test.

OP
OP
B

Bouldereefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have tried several times to get pictures. Even read the how to threads on R2R. I am just not able to get pictures to show what is happening

MasterReef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
200-250 Par for Favia and Acans sounds high. That's almost double what I keep mine at. If you have the lights that intense for your SPS maybe you can try moving the LPS lower in the tank.

Making themselves at home: Have you intentionally done anything in your aquarium to enhance the natural behavior of your fish?

• I planned my tank to encourage natural fish behavior.

Votes: 18 25.4%
  • I did some things to encourage natural fish behavior.

Votes: 23 32.4%
  • Anything that encourages natural fish behavior was a byproduct of the aquascaping.

Votes: 16 22.5%
  • I did not do anything to encourage natural fish behavior.

Votes: 11 15.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 4.2%
Back