Push to connect fittings

pomoev

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi.

I recently got an Icecap kalk stirrer and it's been nothing but problems. At some point, their tech support suggested me to replace the elbow fitting with a straight one. I bought two different pieces (John Guest and Sharkbite) and neither of those had the same threading as the original one. Here is a picture
1642968537525.jpeg

I tried to screw in the left one and the tread jammed.
The only markings on the origianl elbow are "DNT 1/4" and "22". The fittings I bought were marked NPTF.
Does anyone know where I can get a replacement? What standards are there aside from NPT? Is it metric or something?

Malcontent

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
BSP?

Then narrow down the search by selecting the BSP box under thread type.

I would try something like this:

But since they're only $1-2 each and way less than shipping I would probably get a few of each type and maybe some other items to make shipping worthwhile. You can never have enough rolls of tubing.

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Wow, I can only imagine how frustrating that is! My understanding is that NPTF has a different taper. If you don't get an answer that helps with what you are looking for before tomorrow, you may also want to reach out to [email protected] (I think CoralVue handles the distribution and support for IceCap in North America).

OP
OP
pomoev

pomoev

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
BSP?

Then narrow down the search by selecting the BSP box under thread type.

I would try something like this:

But since they're only $1-2 each and way less than shipping I would probably get a few of each type and maybe some other items to make shipping worthwhile. You can never have enough rolls of tubing.
That's a good guess, I will definitely give it a shot. Thank you!

OP
OP
pomoev

pomoev

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow, I can only imagine how frustrating that is! My understanding is that NPTF has a different taper. If you don't get an answer that helps with what you are looking for before tomorrow, you may also want to reach out to [email protected] (I think CoralVue handles the distribution and support for IceCap in North America).
As far as I see it's not just taper, but thread density as well.
Yes, it's Coralvue. I've been in conversations with their support since Jan 6 and unfortunately, I don't feel like they are willing to help at all.

OP
OP
pomoev

pomoev

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would take the fitting you want to replace to a local hardware store and compare it to others.
I've been to HomeDepot and Ace hardware so far, and both stores only have a single type of such connectors. There is basically nothing to choose from.

WVNed

The fish are staring at me with hungry eyes.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been to HomeDepot and Ace hardware so far, and both stores only have a single type of such connectors. There is basically nothing to choose from.
I am saying just to identify the threads you need to match. Compare them to anything and find something that matches. Then you can find the fitting online once you know what you need.

Karen00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would call or email that freshwatersystems place (or other places like this) and tell them what you need. Probably easier than buying a bunch of stuff only to find they don't work.

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
The local hardware stores will likely only have imperial sizes. You may be able to find the metric push-to-fit on Amazon. I agree freshwatersystems would be a good place to try.

Billldg

My Gem Tang Is Watching You
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you emailed Coralvue to see if those are BSP? Coralvue customer service is great and will get back to you.

theatrus

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi.

I recently got an Icecap kalk stirrer and it's been nothing but problems. At some point, their tech support suggested me to replace the elbow fitting with a straight one. I bought two different pieces (John Guest and Sharkbite) and neither of those had the same threading as the original one. Here is a picture
1642968537525.jpeg

I tried to screw in the left one and the tread jammed.
The only markings on the origianl elbow are "DNT 1/4" and "22". The fittings I bought were marked NPTF.
Does anyone know where I can get a replacement? What standards are there aside from NPT? Is it metric or something?

That’s likely BSP threads as it’s a direct import. The push to connects will also be built with metric tubing in mind, which I imagine is your original set of problems.

OP
OP
pomoev

pomoev

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am saying just to identify the threads you need to match. Compare them to anything and find something that matches. Then you can find the fitting online once you know what you need.
That could work. However, I couldn't find any single piece with BSP thread in local stores.

OP
OP
pomoev

pomoev

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you emailed Coralvue to see if those are BSP? Coralvue customer service is great and will get back to you.
Unfortunately this is not my experience at all. Maybe some new hire is dealing with my question, but they started with saying I shouldn't be using a dosing pump with a kalk reactor (in reality it's exactly what they recommend in their youtube videos), and now we've only advanced to "They sell that fitting at Home depot. I believe it is a standard size." even though I sent a picture of a fitting with non-matching threads bought from HD more than 2 weeks ago. This is all very sad.

Edit: but they are pretty quick in deleting comments to their youtube videos, can't complain about that!

OP
OP
pomoev

pomoev

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s likely BSP threads as it’s a direct import. The push to connects will also be built with metric tubing in mind, which I imagine is your original set of problems.
Interestingly, the original elbow fitting clearly reads "1/4" on the tube connection side.

Billldg

My Gem Tang Is Watching You
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unfortunately this is not my experience at all. Maybe some new hire is dealing with my question, but they started with saying I shouldn't be using a dosing pump with a kalk reactor (in reality it's exactly what they recommend in their youtube videos), and now we've only advanced to "They sell that fitting at Home depot. I believe it is a standard size." even though I sent a picture of a fitting with non-matching threads bought from HD more than 2 weeks ago. This is all very sad.

Edit: but they are pretty quick in deleting comments to their youtube videos, can't complain about that!
BSP or not, If you use epoxy on the fitting, it will work fine. I would check to make sure you do not have any messed up threads, and then use epoxy glue to seal it.

Snoopy 67

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
TRY HERE
British Standard Thread

theatrus

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

If you can chase down the fitting, McMaster usually can get you out of a pinch

Adjust parameters are needed.

theatrus

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
BSP or not, If you use epoxy on the fitting, it will work fine. I would check to make sure you do not have any messed up threads, and then use epoxy glue to seal it.
I get its a fix, but this is kinda an extreme, expensive, and one way solution :)

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
DNT is likely referring to the manufacturer DNTFIT which is a maker of quick fit connectors. The “1/4” is likely the slip fit size (this can be easily test with 1/4” tubing). I’m not as sure about the “22”, however this may be an abbreviation of the part number “PL 0202” which is a 1/4” slip fit to 1/4” threaded elbow

As a side note, my understanding is that the NPTF is a tapered thread that is usually used for fuel so I would look for NPT (not NPTF).

If my assumptions are correct, then you can look for a 1/4” thread quick fit at your local hardware store to see if it screws in correctly. Good luck!

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back