Puzzled by acropora behavior changes

KGV

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I started my acro collection one a year ago, 40-50 different pieces all grown from 1" frags to 2-3" mini-colonies. All was going great, absolutely no noticeable issues and happy with growth until 1.5 months ago. My acros would never preduce mucus before (or very rarely), but now many started producing mucus strings EVERY TIME after feeding my fish (I feed 1 tea spoon flakes and 2 cubes frozen mysis/brine, each morning and evening). I also noticed 3-4 colonies getting some tissue loss on the tips that eventually got covered with algae. Particularly my desalwii was the first and the worst to react. Other acros, like acropora striata lost their beautiful blue tips and are now beige (PE still fine). Some acropora Florida were fluo green and now their skin is black (polyps still green but less PE). My impression is that, except for the millis, most acros have stopped growth and have color loss.

System Is a Waterbox 7725, effective 760 liter, covered by 3 Philips Coral Care gen2 lights. Top gets 300-350 PAR, bottom 200 PAR.

My alkalinity is relatively stable around 7.8 to 8.4 dkh, and mornings are 0.3 dkh higher than in the evening. pH reaches 8.4 during the day and is 8.1 in the morning. PO4 can swing around from 0.03 to 0.11 ppm over 2 weeks, but is mostly around 0.07. NO3 has been increasing from 5 to 12 ppm over 1-2 months. Ca2+ was stable but has been creeping up from 420 to 470 over the last 1-2 months. Magnesium was stable but has been declining from 1350 to 1280 over the last 1-2 months. So, some changes... Not sure whether these matter. Last ICP, two months ago showed nothing out of range except for the usual iodide and strontium drop that I typically top-up to get back in normal ranges.

I have 14 fish, among which 6 tangs and a fox face, and 3 wrasses including a large Kuiters wrasse. I'd guess they produce a lot of fertiliser.

The only dosing I do is kalkwasser at night (2.8L) and carbocalcium (72ml spread over a day), adding in total 1.2 dkh worth of alk/day. Export is a skimmer, roller fleece and a small bag (0.5 L) carbon. I don't do water changes. But I do have a relatively deep 12 cm sand bed that I never touch. To prevent PO4 falling to zero, I sometimes dose it.

Because NO3 was creeping up, I started dosing vinegar 1 month ago (only got to 5 ml /day) but stopped it after two weeks because of the sliming (sliming and negative changes started before vinegar dosing). I stopped vinegar too early to see effects on NO3 and PO4.

Sorry for the long monologue, I know, should start a build thread.

Is there anything suspicious from what I write that could underlie the negative changes?

Calling up on the acro experts to tap into their experience @jda @bige @SawCJack00 @therman @The Camaro Show @FarmerTy @C. Eymann

Camaro Show Corals

Formally known as The Camaro Show
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Pictures always help, for starters when the tips die have you clipped below the recession line and has the coral healed over and grown tissue over it? Generally tip recession is called burnt tips and caused by too high of alk with too little of nutrients. It can also be caused by swinging of calcium.

OP
OP
KGV

KGV

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pictures always help, for starters when the tips die have you clipped below the recession line and has the coral healed over and grown tissue over it? Generally tip recession is called burnt tips and caused by too high of alk with too little of nutrients. It can also be caused by swinging of calcium.

Yes, I believe it looks like what some refer to as tip burn. But lighting hasn't changed since half a year and nutrients didn't bottom out -at least by measuring residual PO4 and NO3.

This photos shows mucus strings. This particular piece STN'ed. The pieces with "tip burn", did not recover yet, it only happened weeks ago.

IMG_1124.jpg

Last edited:

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Change some water. It is too easy not to try. Unless you are dosing wide-range traces, magnesium and the like, then this is the best place to start. Even then, the staunchest of limited water change folks will change water when things just look off.

Those look like mesenterial filaments - lots of uses, but usually a stress response in captivity. They are not very well understood on the whole but I don't want to see them in my tanks.

I assume that your fish are being fed well? If so, then you should have plenty of available N and P.

OP
OP
KGV

KGV

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Change some water. It is too easy not to try. Unless you are dosing wide-range traces, magnesium and the like, then this is the best place to start. Even then, the staunchest of limited water change folks will change water when things just look off.

Those look like mesenterial filaments - lots of uses, but usually a stress response in captivity. They are not very well understood on the whole but I don't want to see them in my tanks.

I assume that your fish are being fed well? If so, then you should have plenty of available N and P.
Yes, the fish are pretty fat. 4 cubes of frozen and two teaspoons flakes per day.

OP
OP
KGV

KGV

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you use tropic marin salt at all? Timeline lines up with their recent bad batches.
No, I use redsea blue bucket. But funny that you mention it. Mixing a new box of carbocalcium left a brown deposit which was never the case before. Only happened this week so not related to my acro worries.

OP
OP
KGV

KGV

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

@jda Allright, just to follow up and hopefully end this story. So, one week later and doing a 15% water change per day for 5 days, I am happy to say that things are returning to normal. My acros don't produce the mucus strings anymore after feeding (whatever they are, perhaps mesenterial filaments) and some acros that haven't shown PE since 1-2 months are extending again. It's wonderful to see. I still don't know the reason for all this, but water changes was the only thing I did, and I can say it seems to be going back on track.

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good to hear. I am glad to hear that it was something actually easy and quantifiable.

Even if you are thinking about going back to no water changes, I would do some more routine ones for a while just to make sure that if you were depleted on something-or-other, that you are well past that line going forward... at least for a while.

OP
OP
KGV

KGV

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good to hear. I am glad to hear that it was something actually easy and quantifiable.

Even if you are thinking about going back to no water changes, I would do some more routine ones for a while just to make sure that if you were depleted on something-or-other, that you are well past that line going forward... at least for a while.
I will continue 15% water changes every 1-2 weeks.

My self-soothing argument against WC's in the past was always that a WC would cause too big of a change in water parameters. But after this weeks' five WC's and the improvement I've seen appears to speak against this.

Previously, I was also hooked on the argument that as long as I measure everything (manual tests + ICP) and skim well + carbon that I could rest assured that nothing would get depleted or build up. Now I sway towards not overthinking/overdoing it and just get the dang WC's done.

After this week with all the positive reinforcement from doing WC's and seeing improvement, I even highly enjoy WC's.

Jan86

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will continue 15% water changes every 1-2 weeks.

My self-soothing argument against WC's in the past was always that a WC would cause too big of a change in water parameters. But after this weeks' five WC's and the improvement I've seen appears to speak against this.

Previously, I was also hooked on the argument that as long as I measure everything (manual tests + ICP) and skim well + carbon that I could rest assured that nothing would get depleted or build up. Now I sway towards not overthinking/overdoing it and just get the dang WC's done.

After this week with all the positive reinforcement from doing WC's and seeing improvement, I even highly enjoy WC's.
Any new ideas what was going on here? I have the same isssue and only thing that stops it is waterchanges

OP
OP
KGV

KGV

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any new ideas what was going on here? I have the same isssue and only thing that stops it is waterchanges
I am afraid that I have no idea. Ever since, I have continued to perform water changes; 15 % every two weeks and the problems have never returned.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 35 22.6%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 54 34.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.9%
Back