PVC Cement on running tank?

Afrashz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just wondering if common pvc Cement can be used on a tank that is already running or will be housing animals shortly after gluing?? Is there a certain brand that is better than others? What is the best way to go about this??

OP
OP
Afrashz

Afrashz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay awesome. This type of stuff makes me a little weary

OP
OP
Afrashz

Afrashz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmmm okay I’m using a pump that I use to mix my water to test the new plumbing while I wait for the new pump to get here. I’m assuming just a few rinses, maybe with some vinegar, I should be okay?

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
I've had to glue fittings on a running system before. I gave it about 15-20 minutes and there was no issues.
A few years ago I went into a fairly popular saltwater store and watched them add in several new tanks to the coral tanks.
They glued up fittings and we went outside for a smoke and came in and they turned the system on. I stayed and watched for a reaction on 3 coral tanks that were plumbed into the same system and there was none.
Since then I've seen it happen on several tanks, with no issues.

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, I’ve done it many times. Just put the solvent on the pipe not inside the fitting. That way, any squeeze out is on the outside not the inside. Solvent welds take up to 24 hours for a full strength cure but at the low pressures we are dealing with on a tank a few minutes to set the solvent suffices. I’ve used the water soluble gorilla glue on all my flex pvc lines. Its low VOC and non toxic, but I don’t know how well it would hold up in a wet environment until fully cured. Just use the standard medium bodied pvc cement and DONT use purple primer.

Last edited:

K7BMG

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am not saying it has not been done successfully many times before, all I am saying is I would not do it on my system.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Yes. Use the blue stuff which is thicker and works well wet.

1588042271862.png

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 45 21.2%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 73 34.4%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 70 33.0%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 20 9.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.9%

Back