PVC Cement on running tank?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Afrashz
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

Afrashz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Joined
Feb 23, 2018
Messages
1,225
Reaction score
882
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just wondering if common pvc Cement can be used on a tank that is already running or will be housing animals shortly after gluing?? Is there a certain brand that is better than others? What is the best way to go about this??
 
Okay awesome. This type of stuff makes me a little weary
 
Yes I know it is done but I would never do it.
24hrs minimum and several rinses later IMO.
 
Hmmm okay I’m using a pump that I use to mix my water to test the new plumbing while I wait for the new pump to get here. I’m assuming just a few rinses, maybe with some vinegar, I should be okay?
 
I've had to glue fittings on a running system before. I gave it about 15-20 minutes and there was no issues.
A few years ago I went into a fairly popular saltwater store and watched them add in several new tanks to the coral tanks.
They glued up fittings and we went outside for a smoke and came in and they turned the system on. I stayed and watched for a reaction on 3 coral tanks that were plumbed into the same system and there was none.
Since then I've seen it happen on several tanks, with no issues.
 
Yeah, I’ve done it many times. Just put the solvent on the pipe not inside the fitting. That way, any squeeze out is on the outside not the inside. Solvent welds take up to 24 hours for a full strength cure but at the low pressures we are dealing with on a tank a few minutes to set the solvent suffices. I’ve used the water soluble gorilla glue on all my flex pvc lines. Its low VOC and non toxic, but I don’t know how well it would hold up in a wet environment until fully cured. Just use the standard medium bodied pvc cement and DONT use purple primer.
 
Last edited:
I am not saying it has not been done successfully many times before, all I am saying is I would not do it on my system.
 
Yes. Use the blue stuff which is thicker and works well wet.

1588042271862.png
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE BIGGEST REASON YOU ATTEND A FRAG SWAP?

  • Finding unusual or hard-to-find corals

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Better prices than buying online

    Votes: 2 40.0%
  • Trading or selling my own frags

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Meeting other reefers

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Learning from vendors and hobbyists

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Seeing corals in person before buying

    Votes: 3 60.0%
  • Supporting the local reefing community

    Votes: 1 20.0%
  • I don’t have frag swaps nearby

    Votes: 1 20.0%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new