PVC Merging

DocRose

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Quick question. Working on this new build, and I'm heading to the store to pick up the plumbing. I'm using an old interior overflow box I had from another tank. So the holes on the box were already drilled. Because of that I was forced to put two holes in this new build (when I could have just gotten away with one). I'm only going to be running one sock in the sump. My question is which of the following is my best solution for the second bulkhead.

A. Place a PVC into the bulkhead and just cap off the PVC.
B. Run the PVC drain from the second bulkhead, and join the two with a Y fitting half way down to the sump, to run a single drain pipe to the sump.
C. Suck it up, buy a second filter sock and holder and run both drains down to the sump.

Needed Info : 29g display tank. 10g sump tank. Overflow box used to be on a 90g display tank.

IMG-0973.jpg
IMG-0974.jpg

takitaj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pardon my ignorance, I'm going off only what I've seen with that type. Shouldn't there be another box on the outside where the plumbing goes straight down out of?

OP
OP
DocRose

DocRose

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pardon my ignorance, I'm going off only what I've seen with that type. Shouldn't there be another box on the outside where the plumbing goes straight down out of?

There would be a portion of a box on the outside if it was an external (hang on back) overflow box. This one is internal. Holes are drilled in the back of the tank, and the box; and then the box is secured to those holes via the bulkheads, which come out of the back of the tank for the plumbing to attach to.
Just run two flex hoses into a single sock...
Its designed like that as an emergency path for water flow.

Was trying to avoid as much flex hose as possible to limit areas where algae can grow.

OP
OP
DocRose

DocRose

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Giving this a bump to try and get more opinions. Especially now that I've decided to go with this true union ball valve. At +$20 a pop, I don't want to have to buy two. So I'm still thinking of purchasing one of these two (option 1 or option 2) Y connections to merge the two drains into one. Anyone had experience doing this or anyone have any foresight as to why this might not be a good idea?

DCR

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like they are 1" bulkheads. You only need a single 1" drain for a 29, but you have no back-up. It is really just a matter if you are comfortable that it will not plug. Most internal overflows like that also have an external box as well so there is not as much of a water fall coming over the internal weir.

Can you get an elbow inside the overflow pointing up with a short stick of pipe to create a higher elevation for one of the drains to create a siphon and an overflow (Herbie)? I am not sure the ball valve is going to accomplish much with both drains acting as overflows. As is, both are just going to act as overflows. If you can do that you can just have the overflow drain go into the sump without a sock as the flow is very small.

With just an open drain like that you may get a lot of air bubbles and noise, but the flow is very small for a 29 so it may not be that bad.

OP
OP
DocRose

DocRose

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you get an elbow inside the overflow pointing up with a short stick of pipe to create a higher elevation for one of the drains to create a siphon and an overflow (Herbie)? I am not sure the ball valve is going to accomplish much with both drains acting as overflows. As is, both are just going to act as overflows. If you can do that you can just have the overflow drain go into the sump without a sock as the flow is very small.

Thanks! This is the information that I needed, that I didn't know I needed. lol I thought the socks served a greater purpose (than I just found out). Thanks to you hinting towards going without a sock, I did more research on them, as before I was only told to always run some sort of filtration at the drain. Now seeing how often they have to be removed and cleaned, I'm going to opt to go without it.

As for the first part of the quote, it's not possible to get any sort of plumbing into the box, as it has a backing to it. If it was just a four sided box (no back and no top), then I could, but not with this one.

So without the sock (and to avoid the risk of both drain clogging if I merge them )I'm just going to suck it up and buy the two valves.

DCR

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK. You can merge them as overflow drains. Some people put socks in when doing some clean-up and then take them out during normal operation.

I am not sure how you are planning to use the valves. I would not try to throttle both of them to control the flow or you are likely to overflow the tank at some point. I really don't see a purpose for them on an overflow unless you just want to completely block the flow for maintenance (with the return pump down of course).

OP
OP
DocRose

DocRose

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am not sure how you are planning to use the valves. I would not try to throttle both of them to control the flow or you are likely to overflow the tank at some point. I really don't see a purpose for them on an overflow unless you just want to completely block the flow for maintenance (with the return pump down of course).

That's exactly, and the only, reason for them. Just to be able to shut off the flow of water from the display if I need to work on something. I know an alternative is to just shut off the return and wait for the display water level to drop below the weir level; but...I don't know, I guess I just want to be able to shut it off myself. ;Wacky

Back