PVC Overflow What You Need To Know!

Logan A.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I was unable to drill any side of my aquarium, forcing me to choose between a HOB overflow and a DIY pvc overflow. I chose pvc just because it cost me about $15 vs. $100. The pvc overflow works fine but two things you need to be aware of. 1st its noisy as depending on the size of the tank determines how far water has to drop and how loud it actually is. Mine registers a constant 55-60db. 2nd because the flow in is steady but the flow through seems to be variable you will have slight fluctuations within your return chamber. Just some things to keep in mind.

Benga

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't have the fluctuation issues but I do have a noise issue. Someone told me to but a ball/gate valve on the overflow so that it's not gurgling so much.
If you got to page two here OP says he got it dead silent:
https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/diy-pvc-overflow.358983/page-2

Here's the quote on the remedy:

Noise from the overflow can be mitigated by adding a gate valve on the primary drain pipe down at the sump. Once installed adjust the flow so the water level is almost to the top of the secondary or emergency pipe. What this will do is completely fill the primary line with water so it will not make any noise. Just be sure that the outlet of the line after the valve is right at or just under the waterline in the sump. If an issue ever arises with the primary line the water level will rise and over-top the secondary/emergency line and make all sorts of noise. This will alert you to there being an issue with the primary line so you can investigate it and resolve the issue.

Here's OP:
Okay
20180219_034952.jpg
!

Sump is running. PVC overflow is working (finally) and I even got it dead silent. Awesome!

Here's my question. My pipe runs down into the same chamber as the skimmer (see pic. Ignore the messy sump please :p)

The microbubbles in this chamber, can it cause the overflow to lose siphon?

Thoughts on this?

OP
OP
Logan A.

Logan A.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't have the fluctuation issues but I do have a noise issue. Someone told me to but a ball/gate valve on the overflow so that it's not gurgling so much.
If you got to page two here OP says he got it dead silent:
https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/diy-pvc-overflow.358983/page-2

Here's the quote on the remedy:

Here's OP:
Here is what I've noticed any bubbles created on the opposite side of your literal overflow will not break the siphon however bubbles sucked down in and up can get caught in the bend I use a Tom aqualifter pump to suck out any air that gets fought in the bend. I drilled a small 1/4" hole in the back corner of the bend and inserted airline tubing the for the pump, its now infallible.

OP
OP
Logan A.

Logan A.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mitigating the noise does work accept for 1 small issue. What the ball valve is doing is causing less water to be "overflowed" then what is being returned what at first seems like evaporation is eventually realized to just be extra water stored in your display. Potentially messing up your salinity parameters. You want to always only be pumping what you are pumping not more or less.

OP
OP
Logan A.

Logan A.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mitigating the noise does work accept for 1 small issue. What the ball valve is doing is causing less water to be "overflowed" then what is being returned what at first seems like evaporation is eventually realized to just be extra water stored in your display. Potentially messing up your salinity parameters. You want to always only be pumping what you are pumping not more or less.
I'm beginning to think the solution to the noise lies in reducing the existing noise. I've got some acoustic panels conning this Tuesday we'll see how that pans out.

Benga

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I haven't done the valve on the overflow yet but i have a valve on the return pump. I dont understand why it would mess my salinity. Though I can see how it might break my siphon, It's something ill have to test out next time im at Lowes. As for acoustic panels, i dont think they'll help much unless the piping area is enclosed. Mine isnt so it's just loud but I dont mind it much.

OP
OP
Logan A.

Logan A.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I haven't done the valve on the overflow yet but i have a valve on the return pump. I dont understand why it would mess my salinity. Though I can see how it might break my siphon, It's something ill have to test out next time im at Lowes.
Sorry I should have been more specific, that do you add when you notice water gone from evaporation. Fresh water, with the consistent increase of water in your display you would essentially be diluting everything over time this could be very bad. Does that make sense?

Mandelstam

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think that if you add more water to your system because your overflow doesn't drain as much as you're returning to the DT, you're going to have a flooding problem before you're going to have a salinity problem.

CodyRst

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
At the end of the day, I'd recommend picking up a used HOB overflow at a cheaper price...

Having done both.. I do like the HOB better. I can run my pump wide open, and not have much noise. The overflow has a standpipe made for it.

The noise I do get is air bubbles sucked down into the sump. It sucks, but I think you can build something to remedy it, or drill some holes to reduce it. I haven't done either yet.

Just my .02

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 148 43.5%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 121 35.6%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 50 14.7%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 16 4.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 1.5%
Back