PVC sheet uses.

Knology

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, browsing around the Home Depot, I come across these 4' x 8' PVC sheets in 1/2". My first thought is making some sumps out of these things. Then, looking at costs of water containers for mixing stations, I also think about making some large boxed storage containers.

Any reason this would be a bad idea? These things are only $70 a sheet.

I was thinking of using a 40B as a fuge and then have a 3ft sump made of PVC sheet for skimmer, reactors, and return.

I also was thinking about two 120g storage containers. 4x2x2. Nice flat surfaces for bulkheads and access doors.

Thoughts?

OP
OP
Knology

Knology

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was thinking the same thing. As it will be just an empty box, bracing and cross beams would be fine. Baffles on the sump could be spaced with bracing in mind.

I was also curious about glue. Those who have build sumps with this stuff in the past mentioned Weld On 16.

jjflounder1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For RO water or mixing tank ..
Would be pretty easy to make a "exoskeleton" stand/frame out of 2x4s or Steel ..
I think that would even look cool .

As far as glue I have used plumbers PVC glue ...
And I'm sure taking a look online at places like eplastics you would find glues with the consistency and set time it's convenient for you

AlexG

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought 4 sheets of this product for my tank build. 1 sheet for a tank bottom, 1-2 sheets for sump tops, and 1 sheet was used for overflows & to machine parts of my DIY protein skimmer. The product does float but it can be held in place with the right ballast or securing points. PVC glue works great on this stuff and in some cases like my overflows I glued it directly to PVC pipe. Here is picture of my DIY skimmer and the tops on one of the sump tanks.

tank3.jpg

Ahogue21

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This will work perfect for a control panel....and may make an ato tank as well as i need somthing a little custom for the space i have....may go pick up a sheet tomorrow to play with

jjflounder1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thinking about it I've been looking for a custom size mixing tank ....

OP
OP
Knology

Knology

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This stuff is kinda awesome. I have so many ideas for when I get a routing table and router. I only wish it was a bit cheaper and had a grey or black option.

Has anyone found it cheaper than Home Depot @ $70?

Ron Reefman

Lets Go Snorkeling!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is pretty flexible if the sides get tall and the water level starts to add weight.

I used it for a tray to wrap around inside the stand in case the sump ever leaked, had an overflow or even for when I spill water around the sump. It keeps the wood stand absolutely dry and I added a bulkhead at the back near the bottom for a drain line that runs out of the house!

This is my current smaller set up.
20180723_084247 by Ron Lindensmith, on Flickr

This is my older 120g system and you can see the drain bulkhead at the back lower right, just above the front wall. I also drilled small holes in the box and filled them with 3M 5200 Marine adhesive before I put screws in for some additional strength. The box is glued together with PVC cement as well.

P8270002 by Ron Lindensmith, on Flickr

BTW, if you are interested, there is more in my build tread (link in my signature below).

Ahogue21

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another work in progress an electronics board for my new tank
20181002_121406.jpg

kabal2

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
wow this and old thread but any updates on this projects?
TIA
Gabe

AlexG

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All of my uses of this PVC board worked out great while my system was operating. Once I get established at my new home I will be resurrecting a lot of the parts I made from this PVC sheeting. I now the smaller boards are still available but I have not seen the 4'x8' sheets recently so I am not sure if they are still available.

naterealbig

pea brain
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I bought 4 sheets of this product for my tank build. 1 sheet for a tank bottom, 1-2 sheets for sump tops, and 1 sheet was used for overflows & to machine parts of my DIY protein skimmer. The product does float but it can be held in place with the right ballast or securing points. PVC glue works great on this stuff and in some cases like my overflows I glued it directly to PVC pipe. Here is picture of my DIY skimmer and the tops on one of the sump tanks.

Did you use this as a bare bottom substrate? I thought about using this product exactly for this reason, but thought that it would get damaged by rock, tank scrapers, ect. What were your long-term results with this application?

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 13 27.7%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 39 83.0%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 7 14.9%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 3 6.4%
  • Other

Votes: 2 4.3%
Back