PVC sheet uses.

Shooter6

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
AWESOME I appreciate the info. I zoomed in on the label so should be able to find it. May i ask what a sheet cost you?

BZOFIQ

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
8   0   0
I was thinking the same thing. As it will be just an empty box, bracing and cross beams would be fine. Baffles on the sump could be spaced with bracing in mind.

I was also curious about glue. Those who have build sumps with this stuff in the past mentioned Weld On 16.

I don't think this is the same PCV material that sump makers use. Theirs is very stiff.

WVNed

The fish are staring at me with hungry eyes.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use the planks and trim pieces. You cant get sheets here and the planks come in standard sizes used to make things.

Planters and my filter sock holder
IMG_2774_heic-M.jpg
IMG_2958_heic-M.jpg

jnvd3b

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is in stock around me at Lowes for ~$70 for a 4x8 sheet and at HD for $25 for a 2x4 sheet. Not sure why one is carrying one size and the other is carrying the smaller panels.

HD also had 1/4” panels for $14 a 2x4 sheet
I picked one up to try using as a stand panel instead of plywood

jnvd3b

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use the planks and trim pieces. You cant get sheets here and the planks come in standard sizes used to make things.

Planters and my filter sock holder
IMG_2774_heic-M.jpg
IMG_2958_heic-M.jpg

what did you use for glue? Standard pvc cement?

WVNed

The fish are staring at me with hungry eyes.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My home depot has it in thicknesses from 1/4 in to 3/4 inch, widths 1.5 inch to 12 inch and lengths of 8, 10 and 12 feet.
Makes great shelves around wet stuff too.
The planks are great when all you have is a miter saw.

U

User1

View Badges
Regarding glue. It is PVC so one would think the standard schedule 40 pvc primer and glue that we use on home sprinkler systems would work.

Only drawback is the primer is more commonly sold in purple but there is clear. I have been toying with building boxes with it for sumps. 15 to 20 gallons each. Manageable sizes. Connecting using 1 or 2 inch pvc. Unions. Box 1 return chamber and skimmer. Box 2 empty for refugium, rocks, combination of and also house back actors (hermits, etc), and box 3 return pumps and heaters.

I figure with sprinklers it would be similar. Cut to fit. Lightly sand pieces that are bonded. Prime. Apply glue. Press together, move left and right and then align to mark to set. Press together and hold firmly for a few minutes. Apply final EURO type brace internal for extra or on surface or both.

At least this is what I was thinking of trying. At 4o - 70 bucks a sheet it seems like it is an affordable test platform if one doesn't like using acrylic. At least to me it seems easier to put together or glue. Then again those working with acrylic here and elsewhere make it seem super simple :D

Weasel1960

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought 4 sheets of this product for my tank build. 1 sheet for a tank bottom, 1-2 sheets for sump tops, and 1 sheet was used for overflows & to machine parts of my DIY protein skimmer. The product does float but it can be held in place with the right ballast or securing points. PVC glue works great on this stuff and in some cases like my overflows I glued it directly to PVC pipe. Here is picture of my DIY skimmer and the tops on one of the sump tanks.

tank3.jpg
Is your stuff posted in the DIY forum. I find this an interesting possibility, didn’t know you could buy it in sheets, much cheaper than plexiglass/acrylic

mikee002

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I found a local place that has it for $50 a sheet.

This stuff is kinda awesome. I have so many ideas for when I get a routing table and router. I only wish it was a bit cheaper and had a grey or black option.

Has anyone found it cheaper than Home Depot @ $70?

Weasel1960

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wherever there are glued butt joints I would want to add an extra bracing strip for more glue surface. Setting the edge into a dado is another option. Or both.
Probably not the right term but could do opposite overlaps at inside and outside corners for strength, sort of like concrete form work using lumber.

Anybody know if they make other shapes? Square rods or cat strips would be great for inside corners also.

mikee002

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hm, after I had found this stuff I was contemplating doing the baffles in the sump out of it... now I’m thinking about just doing the entire sump. This way I’d be able to make it the exact size and shape I wanted. I’d probably use the 3/4” for the actual sump though, more room for glue-up and joint strength. Also, less to worry about as far as getting a good bond between this and the glass.

AlexG

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you use this as a bare bottom substrate? I thought about using this product exactly for this reason, but thought that it would get damaged by rock, tank scrapers, ect. What were your long-term results with this application?

Yes it was intended as a bare bottom substrate although there was a little sand on it from the burrowing wrasses that knocked it out of their sand tray. Long term it held up great. The coralline algae and other micro algae grew on the bottom giving the bottom a more natural look. This is a buoyant material so I relied on the rock and some glass trim around the bottom edge of the tank attached with RTV to hold it in place. Urchins rocks and fish never caused any visible damage to the material and it was intended to protect the waterproofing epoxy on the bottom of the tank incase any rocks fell. Here are a few pictures of the pvc bottom

20200803_213701.jpg
20200804_121545.jpg
20200805_123107.jpg

AlexG

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is your stuff posted in the DIY forum. I find this an interesting possibility, didn’t know you could buy it in sheets, much cheaper than plexiglass/acrylic

Some of it is on the DIY forum but much of of was on my monster tank build thread or Youtube videos. Was there something specific you wanted information on?

mikee002

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does any reef safe silicone stick to it?

Thanks

Some of it is on the DIY forum but much of of was on my monster tank build thread or Youtube videos. Was there something specific you wanted information on?

Weasel1960

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not right off but thanks for the offer. I will definitely look you up if I have questions though. Been looking through all the DIY threads from oldest forward checking on topics of interest...I think I finally made it to page 325 or something...just looking for projects that could stretch the $$$ or be fun to do.

I guess I could ask the 2 big questions first...how well did it work and would you do it again

Back