PVC sheet uses.

mikee002

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I picked up a sheet of 3/4 for a different use, and to evaluate for the use of a sump. It’s obviously the incorrect type pvc sheet for sumps, as it has a dense foam core.

What type should I be looking for?

coseal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
type 1 or type 2 comes in gray or white or clear, some distributors have either or both, one has a better fire rating if im thinking right? you will have to find a plastics supplier near you that will sell "will call" and take yer wallet! are you going to hot air weld it?

mikee002

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Meh, after further research I think I’m gonna throw in the towel in this project and just get a sump kit and silicone in place... yes, acrylic to glass seems to be a whole other subject lol.

To answer your question, I was looking at using pvc primer/cement.

type 1 or type 2 comes in gray or white or clear, some distributors have either or both, one has a better fire rating if im thinking right? you will have to find a plastics supplier near you that will sell "will call" and take yer wallet! are you going to hot air weld it?

BZOFIQ

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
I was at HD and bought some, this is definitely not the PVC used for sumps. That said, it cuts extremely well and can be used for a lot of different things. Have fun with it.

Mounting boards, shelves, perimeter pans, etc.

jnvd3b

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ya i wouldn’t use them for the actual walls of a sump, but if you are going to buy a sump kit (assuming you mean precut baffles) why not just make baffles out of this? It is very easy to work with. If designed right you could basically have the pvc sheets glued in there so well they shouldn't move around, and then the silicone is just sealing not holding anything in place

mikee002

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
you mean the foam core stuff as baffles? I could see that as a possibility... if the exposed edges were sealed with an epoxy of some sort.

Yeah, it’s been super easy to cut and route.

Ya i wouldn’t use them for the actual walls of a sump, but if you are going to buy a sump kit (assuming you mean precut baffles) why not just make baffles out of this? It is very easy to work with. If designed right you could basically have the pvc sheets glued in there so well they shouldn't move around, and then the silicone is just sealing not holding anything in place

laverda

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would be careful using plumbing PVC glue as it really does not make that strong a joint. If you glue on a strip PVC on another piece of PVC with the end hanging off. Once it drys you can take a pair of pliers and peal them apart with out too much effort.

jnvd3b

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
you mean the foam core stuff as baffles? I could see that as a possibility... if the exposed edges were sealed with an epoxy of some sort.

Yeah, it’s been super easy to cut and route.

should the edges not be exposed to tank water?

jnvd3b

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
An 8’ x 5.5” board makes 3 good shelves (31.5” each)

i wanted some waterproof shelving on the wall next to my tank and I think it looks pretty good with almost no finish work.

0C012B90-651C-437D-9CD6-E56D76E0E79F.jpeg

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 18.0%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 27 16.2%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 19.2%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 70 41.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.8%
Back