Pygmy Filefish ate glue!

DmitryB

Valuable Member
View Badges
Joined
May 26, 2026
Messages
1,231
Reaction score
956
Location
Hunter, NY
What state or country do you live in
New York
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I glued some zoas to a rock and my dummy Whitepostted Pygmy Filefish decided to peck! Now there's glue on his beak. I noticed it quickly, caught him (he's so trusting he practically swam into the net.) I removed what I could as gently as I could. Then I put him into my isolation box for observation. See video - there's still glue, but he seems to be able to open his mouth. Now what?!?! Aaaaahhhhhhhh!

@Jay Hemdal

IMG_7997.jpg


 
GLUE WILL DISLODGE ON ITS OWN. . . SHOULD BE A DAY OR TWO
OMG I'm so relieved! At first he couldn't open his beak at all and I managed to remove a small piece. Hopefully without any damage to his mouth. Oh man... you think I should keep him in the isolation box or put him back into the tank? I'm sure the isolation box is stressful - especially because it's in my 170 gallon and he's from the 40 gallon. (The isolation box is huge and wouldn't fit in the 40.)
 
OMG I'm so relieved! At first he couldn't open his beak at all and I managed to remove a small piece. Hopefully without any damage to his mouth. Oh man... you think I should keep him in the isolation box or put him back into the tank? I'm sure the isolation box is stressful - especially because it's in my 170 gallon and he's from the 40 gallon. (The isolation box is huge and wouldn't fit in the 40.)
HE CAN GO INTO TANK
 
I glued some zoas to a rock and my dummy Whitepostted Pygmy Filefish decided to peck! Now there's glue on his beak. I noticed it quickly, caught him (he's so trusting he practically swam into the net.) I removed what I could as gently as I could. Then I put him into my isolation box for observation. See video - there's still glue, but he seems to be able to open his mouth. Now what?!?! Aaaaahhhhhhhh!

@Jay Hemdal

IMG_7997.jpg



I have had this happen - and as already mentioned - it will come off on its own in a couple days (at least it should). I would not try picking any more off of the fish.
 
I have had this happen - and as already mentioned - it will come off on its own in a couple days (at least it should). I would not try picking any more off of the fish.
No definitely no more. Once I saw he was able to open his beak, I am letting him be. (It's still attached today, but he's swimming around so I am 25% less stressed about it.)
 
No definitely no more. Once I saw he was able to open his beak, I am letting him be. (It's still attached today, but he's swimming around so I am 25% less stressed about it.)
You now know. Glue looks like food to a fish
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 9 5.4%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 12 7.2%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 27 16.2%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 57 34.1%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 2 1.2%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 11 6.6%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 11 6.6%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 26 15.6%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 12 7.2%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new