Pygmy Waspfish with Fuzzy Lion

DylanE

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi All

I'm trying to figure out some possible additions to my 75g mixed reef and was hoping for some feedback. I recently lost my spotted mandarin that I've had for about 5 years, so I'm finally moving to add a few small predators to the tank. Right now I have a yellow tang, coral beauty, royal gramma, 3 lyretail anthias, 2 sapphire damselfish and a diamond goby. All of these fish have been in the tank at least a year, mostly 2-3 years. I've got 2 pygmy waspfish arriving this coming week, and I'm trying to decide two things:

1. Do I have room for adding a fuzzy dwarf lion as well?
2. Would the lion potentially eat the waspfish?

I'm also about a year out from upgrading to a 220g after we finish a remodel, so if it's cutting it close it wouldn't be for long.

Thanks!

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The gramma and damsels are lunchtime for a fuzzy. While the waspfish are in the size range to be at risk, they will likely have a better chance at survival than the aforementioned. I am always careful about sizing, but I think scorps have an innate respect for each other. I really don't know of scorps cannibalizing each other, and the waspfish are zippy quick.

Are you going to be putting the wasp into an observation tank, they may just disappear in a 75g and starve to death. Acclimating them to a feeding cycle can many times be challenging.

OP
OP
DylanE

DylanE

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gotcha. I wouldn’t be overly concerned if the damsels went missing. The royal gramma has to be a good 5 inches and borderline obese… but I’ve also had him a good 4 years so I’d be less okay with toying with him being food.

The tank has an almost obnoxious amount of large pods, do you think that might suffice until they start to go out and can be spot fed?
Thanks for the reply! I’ve read a bunch of your threads on these guys, excited to give them a go

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gotcha. I wouldn’t be overly concerned if the damsels went missing. The royal gramma has to be a good 5 inches and borderline obese… but I’ve also had him a good 4 years so I’d be less okay with toying with him being food.

The tank has an almost obnoxious amount of large pods, do you think that might suffice until they start to go out and can be spot fed?
Thanks for the reply! I’ve read a bunch of your threads on these guys, excited to give them a go

Excellent! Pods are going to be perfect to give you time to get them feeding.

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 7.0%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 3.5%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 4.4%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 92 80.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 4.4%
Back