Pyramid Butterfly Fish

jp415

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
I am thinking about pulling the trigger on getting two pyramid butterfly fish.

But have been doing some reading and they say that it nips on xenia and corals alike it.

I have a good amount growing on my back wall and some in the rocks but I like the look.

Anyone have any experiences with it not eating xenia or nipping on corals.

JumboShrimp

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine were in a FOWLR. Beautiful fish, but they developed a weird translucent aspect to some patches of their scales; I know other people have experienced the same phenomenon.

OP
OP
jp415

jp415

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
Mine were in a FOWLR. Beautiful fish, but they developed a weird translucent aspect to some patches of their scales; I know other people have experienced the same phenomenon.
Nice, would you happen to have any photos of how they looked like?

JumboShrimp

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
8D30479E-3BDE-41CE-8AD9-2F52441216D2.jpeg

This was not a photo of my particular fish— but another person’s fish that illustrated what I was talking about. My Pyramids swam/ate/acted normally, but overall looked a bit ‘ratty’ and dull. A “Pearlscale” Butterfly is a much better looking fish— but not reef safe, I don’t believe. Best wishes!

OP
OP
jp415

jp415

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
8D30479E-3BDE-41CE-8AD9-2F52441216D2.jpeg

This was not a photo of my particular fish— but another person’s fish that illustrated what I was talking about. My Pyramids swam/ate/acted normally, but overall looked a bit ‘ratty’ and dull. A “Pearlscale” Butterfly is a much better looking fish— but not reef safe, I don’t believe. Best wishes!
I definitely can see the transparent scales that your talking about. Looks very rough in a way and my aim is to go for the clean looks.

Thanks for the info and input.

Baldguy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Pyramid cleared the tank of Xenia. For me that was a good thing. All other coral was not touched.

OP
OP
jp415

jp415

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
My Pyramid cleared the tank of Xenia. For me that was a good thing. All other coral was not touched.
I just added the two pyramid butterflies to my tank and I was curious on how long it took for the pyramid butterfly to take out the xenia on your tank?

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just added the two pyramid butterflies to my tank and I was curious on how long it took for the pyramid butterfly to take out the xenia on your tank?
Usually it won’t take too long however there are some occurrences where you could have a model citizen for years just to have it turn and nip coral (Or even you in some cases - Clownfish).

What size tank is yours? I’d personally have gone for 3 or 4 depending on if it’s a 4’ or 6’ tank (Or even larger such as an 8’ with about 6/7 pyramids).

OP
OP
jp415

jp415

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
Usually it won’t take too long however there are some occurrences where you could have a model citizen for years just to have it turn and nip coral (Or even you in some cases - Clownfish).

What size tank is yours? I’d personally have gone for 3 or 4 depending on if it’s a 4’ or 6’ tank (Or even larger such as an 8’ with about 6/7 pyramids).
I have a 120 gal and I want to out a trio in the tank but I just went ahead and went with 2 since my livestock is already kind if heavy right now.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 126 88.1%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 5.6%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 6 4.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.1%
Back