Pyramid Butterfly Fish

jayke

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

My Pyramid Butterfly Fish (PBF) just finished QT and was in the DT for about 1.5 weeks now. I started noticing it developing white marks on the fins, almost clump like. Which I thought it maybe lympho. Kept monitoring for a few days, then the white lumps made its way to the eyes, now the left eye is swollen and his left face has swollen white lesions too. I'm not sure if it was self-injuries or if maybe the lympho could of caused that. I was wondering if anyone has experience with this and if so, is this all apart of lympho? Can it be a bacterial infection? I started the PBF on kanoplex binded with focus. It's still eating well.

Thanks you guys for taking the time and effort to help me.

IMG_8683.jpeg

JumboShrimp

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here at R2R search the words "translucent" and "Pyramid" for some interesting reading, but I don't think that's what yours is experiencing... Yet. :frowning-face:

Upvote 0
OP
OP
J

jayke

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here at R2R search the words "translucent" and "Pyramid" for some interesting reading, but I don't think that's what yours is experiencing... Yet. :frowning-face:
Hmm.. I just looked at it and I'm not sure that it either unfortunately. He's eating well, so I'm hoping he'll make a recovery. The eyes looks a bit less swollen. I'm really doing all I can to give him the best fighting chance. Fingers crossed someone can chime in with some knowledge. Thank you so much again!

Upvote 0

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Hello,

My Pyramid Butterfly Fish (PBF) just finished QT and was in the DT for about 1.5 weeks now. I started noticing it developing white marks on the fins, almost clump like. Which I thought it maybe lympho. Kept monitoring for a few days, then the white lumps made its way to the eyes, now the left eye is swollen and his left face has swollen white lesions too. I'm not sure if it was self-injuries or if maybe the lympho could of caused that. I was wondering if anyone has experience with this and if so, is this all apart of lympho? Can it be a bacterial infection? I started the PBF on kanoplex binded with focus. It's still eating well.

IMG_8683.jpeg
One of my favorite butterflies. They are susceptible to and often develop Lymphocystis which is a viral condition associated with poor water quality , diet or both. Does not mean your tank is so bad that . . . . But rather ammonia and nitrate may be elevated and you may be getting false reading results depending on test kit used.
Assure water is good and diet offered such as LRS herbivore diet, mysis shrimp, spirulina brine shrimp, plankton, and selcon vitamins added to food occasionally
Please4 post future pics under white lighting for more accurate assessments

Upvote 0

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

IMG_8683.jpeg

Did you treat this fish for Neobenedenia flukes? I don't think I've ever gotten one of these that didn't have those flukes. They are nasty to get rid of, they have sticky eggs that are resistant to all manner of drugs.

Jay

Upvote 0
OP
OP
J

jayke

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you treat this fish for Neobenedenia flukes? I don't think I've ever gotten one of these that didn't have those flukes. They are nasty to get rid of, they have sticky eggs that are resistant to all manner of drugs.

Jay
I treated for flukes with FW dip and Prazi, but I didn't know about the Neobenedenia flukes. Is there a different method for eliminating the more resistant flukes?

Upvote 0

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I treated for flukes with FW dip and Prazi, but I didn't know about the Neobenedenia flukes. Is there a different method for eliminating the more resistant flukes?
The trouble with Neobenedenia is that they have sticky eggs that are resistant to anything that wouldn't kill the fish. That means you have to try and kill the adult flukes, then let the eggs hatch, and then kill those flukes before they have a chance to lay eggs. Very tricky. One treatment is to dose praziquantel 5 times, 6 days apart. My favorite method is hyposalinity (half salinity) at a specific gravity of 1.012 for 35 days. If you want to eradicate ich at the same time, go with a specific gravity of 1.009 for 30 days, and then 5 days at 1.012

That said - this may NOT be Neo. Can you get a clearer picture taken under white/natural light?

Jay

Upvote 0

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 35 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 23.2%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back