Pyrple tang swimming upside down

Qasimja

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got the bubble stone hooked up to a oxygen concentrator. still seems to have some positive bouyancy. Once my shipment of Copper Power comes in Im planning to change water from cupramine to that, so that i can use prime to keep ammonia low. Should be here tonight. I have 30 Gal of water all premixed and temperate. The ability to use prime is huge. Not sure why anyone would use a non-chelated form of copper like cupramine. It is what i had, but the instability is troubling. If it were just a new addition i was treating, i would have used CF, but since im fallowing my DT, i have two large wrasses that cant have CF. They are my oldest fish.

I hope the purple tang can hold out until then. It seems to be more sensitive to ammonia. My number is still around .04, but if I do a partial tank change prior to the copper power arriving, i wont have enough premixed to change over and fix the ammonia for the duration with prime. Dilemma...
hows the fish doing now

OP
OP

4davegill

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hows the fish doing now
It's in its own QT tank, and still swimming a bit weird. Because it is not with the Wrasses, I was able to treat with CP, so I am running CP in that tank. I still have concentrated oxygen going to it. I also have been bathing daily in methylene blue at 1teaspoon per 5 gal for 30 min. It was after that he stopped swimming upside down. I am hopeful. I haven't seen him eating though. He may be, but not sure. I have nori and gave garlic power soaked food. Even a pea in case he's impacted. I really just want to get him feeling better.

OP
OP

4davegill

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Really happy to see your tang alive! I was worried as I read. Fritzyme 9 works fantastic on ammonia and is natural, wont stress anything out. Its the best way I've found to take care of my ammonia problems personally.
Thank you. He is alive, and in his own tank, but swimming a bit head down still. I have not seen him eating, but food is gone, so... He is getting daily baths in methylene blue, which is what helped the most. I also began Chloro phosphate as he didnt tolerate the cupramine too well. I can also use prime with that, so if he is sensitive to ammonia, that will help.

OP
OP

4davegill

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
.04 is pretty low, at the lower limit of some test kits. Ammonia isn’t causing his issue.
If the fish is still alive this morning, can you post a short video?
Jay
He's alone now, and tearing him with chloroquine phosphate. Also daily bath in methylene blue.
Looks like flukes though maybe? 11 days in cupramine, but he almost died prior to methyl blue baths. Here's from 20 min ago.
VideoCapture_20220424-203544.jpg

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Flukes don't cause discrete white spots like that. I think this fish still has an active case of ich, but it could also have flukes as we discussed.

What dose of chloroquine is it in now?

Jay

OP
OP

4davegill

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Flukes don't cause discrete white spots like that. I think this fish still has an active case of ich, but it could also have flukes as we discussed.

What dose of chloroquine is it in now?

Jay
I added 60mg per gallon of water. His tank was sterile and no bio filtration. I am using prime, and will probably do a swap into a different 100% sterile tank at 15 days. He actually seems to be tolerating the chloroquine better than cupramine.

Should I add metraplex to treat for flukes?

OP
OP

4davegill

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ADD: Having looked at some of the hybrid TTM posts and the Australian method with H2O2 I have decided to give the Tang a 50ppm bath in peroxide to see if couldnt provide some releif and shed a few trophants.

Thoughts? Warnings?

Macdaddynick1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ADD: Having looked at some of the hybrid TTM posts and the Australian method with H2O2 I have decided to give the Tang a 50ppm bath in peroxide to see if couldnt provide some releif and shed a few trophants.

Thoughts? Warnings?
I’m not a fish expert but it seems like you’re throwing a kitchen sink at a fish that’s already that stressed, and barely holding on. May be do something less drastic than dipping it in h2o2, fresh water, etc etp. Perhaps this would be a good idea for a fish that somewhat healthy, but this guy looks like he needs a bit less stress. Again not an expert here, just seem like it could be done in a less stressful way.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I added 60mg per gallon of water. His tank was sterile and no bio filtration. I am using prime, and will probably do a swap into a different 100% sterile tank at 15 days. He actually seems to be tolerating the chloroquine better than cupramine.

Should I add metraplex to treat for flukes?
That's a pretty standard dose for CP. Metroplex won't kill flukes. There is some chatter that CP can though - I don't have direct evidence of this, but CP kills anemones, algae and various microfauna, so it could kill flukes as well.

Jay

OP
OP

4davegill

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m not a fish expert but it seems like you’re throwing a kitchen sink at a fish that’s already that stressed, and barely holding on. May be do something less drastic than dipping it in h2o2, fresh water, etc etp. Perhaps this would be a good idea for a fish that somewhat healthy, but this guy looks like he needs a bit less stress. Again not an expert here, just seem like it could be done in a less stressful way.
Thank you. Point taken. I will forego the peroxide bath, and just continue with the methylene blue baths (these are not stressful, and actually detox). I appreciate your thoughts.

OP
OP

4davegill

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's a pretty standard dose for CP. Metroplex won't kill flukes. There is some chatter that CP can though - I don't have direct evidence of this, but CP kills anemones, algae and various microfauna, so it could kill flukes as well.

Jay
Thank you, Jay. I've read that General Cure is compatible with CP. Do you have any thoughts about adding that?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you, Jay. I've read that General Cure is compatible with CP. Do you have any thoughts about adding that?

Sorry - I've never tried mixing those two meds. Be sure that you aerate the tank well and really watch the ammonia level.....

Jay

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 67 35.4%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 6 3.2%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 48 25.4%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 60 31.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.2%
Back