Qt’ing inverts

Phishguy3.0

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What methods do you use when adding new inverts into your aquarium. I’m very nervous about adding anything into my tank that doesn’t go through treatment or a 79 day waiting period. Being that you can’t medicate inverts am I being cautious or over cautious by waiting 79 days before adding new inverts into my display tank.

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tbh I've never quarentine them. If it's a snail or hermit, I'll wipe their shell with a paper towel or dab the shell with but of fresh water and wipe it just incase they may have a flatworm or something on them. You could just set up a small tank for them and watch them for a week or so. Another method is to just avoid getting them from tanks with diseases or pests (of which could hitchhike via the water).

OP
OP
Phishguy3.0

Phishguy3.0

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tbh I've never quarentine them. If it's a snail or hermit, I'll wipe their shell with a paper towel or dab the shell with but of fresh water and wipe it just incase they may have a flatworm or something on them. You could just set up a small tank for them and watch them for a week or so. Another method is to just avoid getting them from tanks with diseases or pests (of which could hitchhike via the water).
I don’t trust lfs. I put an anemone in my take that was said to be in a coral and invert tank and my take cane down with ich 9 days later. I know if they are kept with fish there is a chance of getting ich in the dormant stage introduce into the tank. A ticking time bomb if you will. I’ve felt with ich on a couple of occasions and hope to never deal with it again

SebastianM

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With inverts I just acclimate via drip method, then place them in the tank. As mentioned above I’ll dip/wipe the shell with some RODI water. I’ve never heard of an issue with inverts

cedwards04

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good thing inverts don’t carry ich. Most lfs/distributors have inverts in a completely different system.
I know for a fact that none of my local fish stores keep them separated and could absolutely have ich, as I have had the conversation with them and they all follow the "every tank has ich, keep your fish healthy and it isnt a problem" mentality. So I would definitely like to have a qt plan.

Idoc

Getting lazier and lazier with upkeep!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I quarantine inverts... time depends on what's going on or suspected. I understand the 76 day thing, but feel the risk is minimal after 30 days.

Im glad i have quarantined though... the stuff I catch in that first week or so has saved my DT...aptasia, bubble algae, vermatid snails, flatworms, etc... i use a high mag lens to look over coral "hard parts".

hllb

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know for a fact that none of my local fish stores keep them separated and could absolutely have ich, as I have had the conversation with them and they all follow the "every tank has ich, keep your fish healthy and it isnt a problem" mentality. So I would definitely like to have a qt plan.
This surprises me. My LFS here keeps fish in copper, so the inverts are definitely separate. It's a shame your LFS doesn't treat their fish with copper.

kput

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There's tons of threads about QT'ing inverts and other tank inhabitants on these forums.

For inverts that shed their exoskeleton, you'll want to QT for a full 76 days, or until immediately after you witness a molt. You can then rinse them off very well to take care of any free swimmers, then add them to DT.

Hermits or animals with shells should be in a full 76 days.

cedwards04

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This surprises me. My LFS here keeps fish in copper, so the inverts are definitely separate. It's a shame your LFS doesn't treat their fish with copper.
One of them does keep fish in a half dose of cupramine, but also has fish in the frag tanks, which is where he also houses the inverts.

I dont have any lfs that quarantine fish before selling. Wish I did. I really like supporting local businesses (business owner myself), but have been tempted to order fish online from sources that quarantine.

hllb

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One of them does keep fish in a half dose of cupramine, but also has fish in the frag tanks, which is where he also houses the inverts.

I dont have any lfs that quarantine fish before selling. Wish I did. I really like supporting local businesses (business owner myself), but have been tempted to order fish online from sources that quarantine.
Mine has a small number of fish in their frag tanks, but they're typically fish that are healing from HLLE. One of their tanks in particular has a couple of tangs that need some help. Other than that, the only fish in the invert tanks are some blennys and dragonets that need pods.

I only know of one place online that does a true QT of their fish and I've never ordered from them. What ones do you know of?

cedwards04

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine has a small number of fish in their frag tanks, but they're typically fish that are healing from HLLE. One of their tanks in particular has a couple of tangs that need some help. Other than that, the only fish in the invert tanks are some blennys and dragonets that need pods.

I only know of one place online that does a true QT of their fish and I've never ordered from them. What ones do you know of?
Marine collectors is the only 1 I know of for sure. Haven't looked into yet to be honest, I just assume there has to be a few out there. If not, sounds like a good business opportunity haha.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 38 43.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 20 22.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 28 31.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.3%
Back