12/21 Copper 2.2
12/22 Copper 2.0
12/23 Copper 1.83, 1.82
This is all while dosing 1.0 ml 2x a day to increase the level

QT ~26 gallons of water, 20L with 10g sump
using copper power and hanna checker
I have a small skimmer running, no skimmate currently
PVC shelter
PVC plumbing, vinyl tubing, and rubber gaskets on bulkheads, I used pipe thread sealant on the male threads to the bulkheads
Small acrylic overflow box
HOB filter with only foam insert
Dosed 1ml of prime today and once on 12/21. Humblefish had a post saying it was safe to do so with copper power

No Idea what is happening here

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure - that shouldn't happen unless you have calcareous material in the system (or carbon). The foam insert isn't carbon coated is it?

I dosed Coppersafe in a 500 gallon system a month ago and I tested it yesterday and it barely dropped 10% since then.

Jay

EakTheFreak

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure - that shouldn't happen unless you have calcareous material in the system (or carbon). The foam insert isn't carbon coated is it?

I dosed Coppersafe in a 500 gallon system a month ago and I tested it yesterday and it barely dropped 10% since then.

Jay
Hi Jay,

Is 2.02 ppm to high for COPPERSAFE? I’m trying to decide if I should be closer to the 1.8ppm range.

EakTheFreak

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is why you need to test ever day or so, with copper.
I’ve been testing twice a day. Just did 10 gallon water change on 29 and tested my water going in. Brough total down to 1.93 ppm for COPPERSAFE.

Pretty big pain in the A**

OP
OP
FullSend

FullSend

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update:

12/24 AM - 1.97 ppm Copper, added 1.5ml C. power
12/24 PM - 1.98 ppm Copper, added 1.5ml C. power
12/25 AM - 2.11 ppm Copper, added 1.5ml C. power
- 2.12 ppm Copper ~10-15 min later
12/25 PM - 4.01 ppm Copper 9:20 pm
- 2.13 ppm Copper 9:30 pm
- 2.15 ppm Copper 9:45 pm
Added 1.5ml C. power
- 2.29 ppm Copper 10:40 pm
Observations:

The 4.01 reading was likely due to a contaminated pipette. Going forward I'm going to submerge the vial in the tank. I haven't been mixing up the bottle of Copper Power before dosing, the bottle didn't mention it. Based on the readings today, it looks possible the copper is lower in the bottle. I'm going to start shaking the bottle up before dosing it. Edit: After the final test looks like shaking the bottle is a good idea.

Last edited:

dochow

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You get it working? I’m using Copper Power and an API Copper test kit and I can’t get my levels up to 2.5 despite going above the dosing.

I just ordered Hanna Checker before putting in more copper as I’m concerned the API Test Kit is incorrect.

Any thoughts?

OP
OP
FullSend

FullSend

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was able to keep it up by dosing more copper when it was getting lower.

I started shaking up the bottle before dosing. Maybe try that?

OP
OP
FullSend

FullSend

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To this day I'm not sure what happened. I suspect it was the pipe thread sealant absorbing the copper. I ended up replacing all of pipe thread sealant with regular teflon tape and solvent joints.

Hopefully I'll check back during my next copper treatment to see if the issue disappears.

threebuoys

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you by chance ever notice any tubing or filter sponges turning blue? I can't remember what the material was, but I once had this happen and I believe copper absorption was the reason. Also, I don't believe you directly responded to Jay's question about sand or rock in the tank that may have been calcareous (e.g. aragonite or calcium based rock) or carbon in the filter. Either of which would absorb copper.

OP
OP
FullSend

FullSend

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you by chance ever notice any tubing or filter sponges turning blue? I can't remember what the material was, but I once had this happen and I believe copper absorption was the reason. Also, I don't believe you directly responded to Jay's question about sand or rock in the tank that may have been calcareous (e.g. aragonite or calcium based rock) or carbon in the filter. Either of which would absorb copper.
The poly-filter I used to remove the copper after the treatment turned blue. Could that be what you're talking about?

threebuoys

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The poly-filter I used to remove the copper after the treatment turned blue. Could that be what you're talking about?
You indicated the copper dropped day to day, so I thought maybe some silicone tubing or other material that absorbs copper may have been present. Of course, you intended for the poly-filter to remove it since the treatment was over. I've used copper power numerous times in QT and I've found it to be very stable, so just trying to throw out ideas to help you solve your problem.

TastesLikeChicken

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Something has to be absorbing the copper. As mentioned above copper power has been super stable for me as well.

Theoretically whatever material it is will become saturated and the copper will remain stable.

I think you can be more aggressive in bringing the level to therapeutic. I didn’t gently increase my levels. I think there are some others who say you don’t have to. But please use discretion because I don’t want anything bad to happen to your livestock.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Copper typically won't turn aquarium materials blue - that is usually due to methylene blue or malachite green. I do recall some rocks at the Shedd aquarium that had been used in copper tanks for decades - when I broke them open, they did have a slight blue tinge (but that wasn't visible on the outside of the rock).

Jay

threebuoys

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Copper typically won't turn aquarium materials blue - that is usually due to methylene blue or malachite green. I do recall some rocks at the Shedd aquarium that had been used in copper tanks for decades - when I broke them open, they did have a slight blue tinge (but that wasn't visible on the outside of the rock).

Jay
H'mmm,

I had a white silcone tube that came with my skimmer that turned blue from something in the water last year. It wasn't methylene blue or malachite green because I've never used either in the tank (only 18 months old). I assumed it was copper because I had used a brass drain fitting on a drain in my sump system. I tested for copper on a hunch (since my first corals quickly died) and had more than acceptable level. I assumed copper had leached from the brass. I used a 20 % water change and cuprisorb for several weeks to get the copper out of the water. That was at the same time I noticed the blue silicone tube. Guess it must have been something else.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
H'mmm,

I had a white silcone tube that came with my skimmer that turned blue from something in the water last year. It wasn't methylene blue or malachite green because I've never used either in the tank (only 18 months old). I assumed it was copper because I had used a brass drain fitting on a drain in my sump system. I tested for copper on a hunch (since my first corals quickly died) and had more than acceptable level. I assumed copper had leached from the brass. I used a 20 % water change and cuprisorb for several weeks to get the copper out of the water. That was at the same time I noticed the blue silicone tube. Guess it must have been something else.
I’m not sure - I’ve used copper forever and that rock at the Shedd was the only discoloration that I’ve ever seen….
Jay

OP
OP
FullSend

FullSend

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You indicated the copper dropped day to day, so I thought maybe some silicone tubing or other material that absorbs copper may have been present. Of course, you intended for the poly-filter to remove it since the treatment was over. I've used copper power numerous times in QT and I've found it to be very stable, so just trying to throw out ideas to help you solve your problem.
I totally agree, something was absorbing the copper. It's just the only thing that turned blue was the poly-filter.

I had a white silcone tube that came with my skimmer that turned blue from something in the water last year.
I hope silicon tubing can't absorb copper, well any medication really. I just swapped out all of the tubing for it and the tank is made with silicon. I have read you can dye it different colors if you use the medications Jay mentioned though.

threebuoys

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I totally agree, something was absorbing the copper. It's just the only thing that turned blue was the poly-filter.

I hope silicon tubing can't absorb copper, well any medication really. I just swapped out all of the tubing for it and the tank is made with silicon. I have read you can dye it different colors if you use the medications Jay mentioned though.
I've had clear silicone adhesive in my fresh water tanks turn blue due to both methylene blue and malachite green in the past. I'm now at a loss as to what caused the white silicone tubing to turn blue in my saltwater tank.
I've had some varieties of foam turn either blue or brown too, but can't remember it that was in salt or fresh water. Manufacturer's literature suggests poly filter should turn brown from copper but I've not tried it.

If something absorbs copper, I always worry it could also leach back into the tank if I don't know where it went! Good luck! :)

TastesLikeChicken

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Poly filter turns blue in presence of high enough concentration of copper. I’ve tried it. And it’s not because poly filter is magical, it’s because copper is blue to start with.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 15 18.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 3 3.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 13 16.3%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 41 51.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 10.0%
Back