QT First Fish? Chromis?

Megability

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve never QT’d anything before in 12 years of a BioCube29 and never had a problem (that I knew of) but setting up a new RSR625 and want to take extra precautions now, be a responsible reefer… :p

That being said, I’m looking to add my fist fish soon, a blue-green Chromis and wondering if I should start the QT’ing already, or it’s safe since it’s a hardy chromis and the first fish anyway.

I’m going to go slow on adding fish, and sometime soon will be just transferring the fish from my BioCube over and I know they’re clean…

What do you think?

Last edited:

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Personally I would QT. I say this because It would be EXTREMELY difficult in my tank to pull all the fish out to treat.

At a minemum I would do something like two weeks of api general cure (metro and prazi). Most people are going to recommend copper.

Alternatively, you can buy from a pre QT place

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve never QT’d anything before in 12 years of a BioCube29 and never had a problem (that I knew of) but setting up a new RSR625 and want to take extra precautions now, be a responsible reefer… :p

That being said, I’m looking to add my fist fish soon, a blue-green Chromis and wondering if I should start the QT’ing already, or it’s safe since it’s a hardy chromis and the first fish anyway.

I’m going to go slow on adding fish, and sometime soon will be just transferring the fish from my BioCube over and I know they’re clean…

What do you think?

Considering chromis are notorious for carrying uronema which you can not remove once it is in the tank...(it can live off bacteria and uneaten food).... I would QT the poop out of those guys.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 24 35.8%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 16 23.9%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 12 17.9%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 15 22.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back