QT for Clams?

Discussion in 'Clams' started by MSB123, May 15, 2019.

1. MSB123

MSB123 Someone out there put something smart here. R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award R2R Secret Santa Santa Barbara Reef Co-Op Build Thread Contributor

As some of you know, I am getting a large custom tank. I would like to keep 3-4 clams, 2 of which will be Maxima, and 2 will be Squamosa. I am trying to figure out how I should QT them as I am taking a no risk approach, and even my coral will go through a 76 day fallow to eradicate all disease. I will be dipping the coral to prevent algae. How should I prevent algae from coming in on a clam?

Hemmdog likes this.

2. reef lover

reef lover It's a reef thing.... R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Reef Squad Reef Tank 365 Hospitality Award Hudson Valley Reef Keepers Build Thread Contributor

I wouldnt qt for algae...but for pyramidal snails and worms.

3. MSB123

MSB123 Someone out there put something smart here. R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award R2R Secret Santa Santa Barbara Reef Co-Op Build Thread Contributor

I always do.
    I am more worried about algae getting into my system.

4. FlyPenFly

FlyPenFly Active Member

I guarantee algae will get into your system no matter what. It exists as spores in the air.

DSC reef likes this.
  5. MSB123

I’m worried about bubble algae and GHA. Also briosis

6. FlyPenFly

FlyPenFly Active Member

GHA for sure will come no matter what unless you’re in a stage 4 clean lab at the cdc.

Bryopsis will probably come in from a frag no matter what over time. Anything that can kill these spores 100% will kill small SPS chunks.

Bubble algae you might be able to avoid.

Just accept the fact that all reefs have algae and there are a hundred ways to manage and deal with it.

7. MSB123

I realize that, but I still am going to try my hardest to avoid it.
    I will have 4 coral QT tanks- dip and then observe for 76 days- if any signs of anything come up, I will move them to a new tank after dipping again.

8. FlyPenFly

FlyPenFly Active Member

I guarantee you that you will run into algae as much as I can guarantee you that you'll have bacteria in your system even if you start with dead rock, dry sand, and RODI water.

Draft saved Draft deleted