QT for Clams?

MSB123

Someone out there put something smart here.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As some of you know, I am getting a large custom tank. I would like to keep 3-4 clams, 2 of which will be Maxima, and 2 will be Squamosa. I am trying to figure out how I should QT them as I am taking a no risk approach, and even my coral will go through a 76 day fallow to eradicate all disease. I will be dipping the coral to prevent algae. How should I prevent algae from coming in on a clam?

reef lover

It's a reef thing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldnt qt for algae...but for pyramidal snails and worms.

FlyPenFly

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m worried about bubble algae and GHA. Also briosis
GHA for sure will come no matter what unless you’re in a stage 4 clean lab at the cdc.

Bryopsis will probably come in from a frag no matter what over time. Anything that can kill these spores 100% will kill small SPS chunks.

Bubble algae you might be able to avoid.

Just accept the fact that all reefs have algae and there are a hundred ways to manage and deal with it.

OP
OP
MSB123

MSB123

Someone out there put something smart here.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
GHA for sure will come no matter what unless you’re in a stage 4 clean lab at the cdc.

Bryopsis will probably come in from a frag no matter what over time. Anything that can kill these spores 100% will kill small SPS chunks.

Bubble algae you might be able to avoid.

Just accept the fact that all reefs have algae and there are a hundred ways to manage and deal with it.
I realize that, but I still am going to try my hardest to avoid it.
I will have 4 coral QT tanks- dip and then observe for 76 days- if any signs of anything come up, I will move them to a new tank after dipping again.

FlyPenFly

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I realize that, but I still am going to try my hardest to avoid it.
I will have 4 coral QT tanks- dip and then observe for 76 days- if any signs of anything come up, I will move them to a new tank after dipping again.

I guarantee you that you will run into algae as much as I can guarantee you that you'll have bacteria in your system even if you start with dead rock, dry sand, and RODI water.

Back