QT Help Eyed Flounder

ryanat25

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There’s a fish called Eyed Flounder at my LFS. Can’t find much info online. Any advice on taking care of it especially quarantine protocols. Would it be sensitive to copper and meds (API GC and Metro).

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There’s a fish called Eyed Flounder at my LFS. Can’t find much info online.
Any pics of the fish? If not, then I'd assume it's Bothus ocellatus - it reportedly grows up to 7" (5" being more typical), and it reportedly eats fish and crustaceans.

OP
OP
R

ryanat25

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any pics of the fish? If not, then I'd assume it's Bothus ocellatus - it reportedly grows up to 7" (5" being more typical), and it reportedly eats fish and crustaceans.
Yes, that is what I think it is - Bothus ocellatus. What I can’t find though is its suggested qt protocols. Especially copper. I’ll do more research tonight but I’m hoping someone here has some kind of experience with this type of fish that they can share.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, that is what I think it is - Bothus ocellatus. What I can’t find though is its suggested qt protocols. Especially copper. I’ll do more research tonight but I’m hoping someone here has some kind of experience with this type of fish that they can share.

They are fine with Coppersafe or Copper Power and with Praziquantel.

However, one thing to be aware of - they are rather specialized fish and like to lay on or slightly under sand substrate - very often, from the point of collection to the dealer's store, they are kept under conditions that don't allow them access to sand - and this stresses them out and can cause skin damage. Be sure that you see it eat before buying it.

Jay

OP
OP
R

ryanat25

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They are fine with Coppersafe or Copper Power and with Praziquantel.

However, one thing to be aware of - they are rather specialized fish and like to lay on or slightly under sand substrate - very often, from the point of collection to the dealer's store, they are kept under conditions that don't allow them access to sand - and this stresses them out and can cause skin damage. Be sure that you see it eat before buying it.

Jay
Thanks for the info Jay!

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 36 15.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 29 12.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 132 58.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 16 7.0%
Back