QT Help: How to Effectively QT?

Xandernfs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've read many thread about how to set up a QT, which I have done. But there really isn't much about what to do once it is up and running. The meds I have on hand are API General Cure & Seachem Cupramine. I currently have a single clown in the QT, but not sure how I should go about treating it. He looks to have a few white spots on his fins, but I'm not 100% sure it is ich. I would like to be on the safe side and treat him. Here is what I was thinking, but wanted your thoughts....

Day 1: Treat with General Cure
Day 3: Repeat dosage of General Cure per instructions
Day 5: 25% water change & add carbon (is carbon necessary?)
Day 6: Start dosage of Cupramine
Day 7: Get Cupramine dosage up to effective level (.5mg/ml)
Day 8: Keep it steady here for 30 days
Day 39: Add Carbon & 25% water change observe for anther 5 days
Day 45: Put in DT

Is this over kill? Should I be taking a different approach? Am I on point?

Thanks!

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like a plan to me. Make sure you remove carbon prior to dosing copper. You might try to ramp the copper up a bit slower than 24-48 hours, then upon the completion of copper after 30 days I perform 100% water change and add carbon, would be my only suggestions. But I don't believe it to be overkill. Make sure you have a powerhead aimed up and an Airstone in the tank when medicating! Good luck!

OP
OP
X

Xandernfs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like a plan to me. Make sure you remove carbon prior to dosing copper. You might try to ramp the copper up a bit slower than 24-48 hours, then upon the completion of copper after 30 days I perform 100% water change and add carbon, would be my only suggestions. But I don't believe it to be overkill. Make sure you have a powerhead aimed up and an Airstone in the tank when medicating! Good luck!

I don't have an airstone, but I have a power head aiming up and my water level a little lower so my AC50 will properly aerate the water.

Oldsalt01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Keep in mind that copper can be absorbed by rock, so if there's any in there your copper levels will drop. PVC is a better option for QT. Toss it when the treatment is done. Copper will also encourage cyano but that's a minor problem and easy to deal with after the QT is done. No carbon during the copper tx either. A good copper test kit will help stay on your levels. The type of test kit depends on whether it's chelated copper or not.

OP
OP
X

Xandernfs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can I get away with running JUST General Cure OR Cupramine? If so, I'm assuming it would be Cupramine for 30 days?

Also, this is in my QT tank with ONLY PVC so I don't have to worry about rock/sand absorbing the copper. The only thing I am going to add is some seeded Seachem Matrix from my DT and that will be disposed once I break down the QT.

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd
I don't have an airstone, but I have a power head aiming up and my water level a little lower so my AC50 will properly aerate the water.
I would highly recommend airstone. They are cheap, much safer for copper treatment. It would be a bummer to lose fish in QT to low oxygen. The medications are hard enough on the fish. Just a thought. @4FordFamily

OP
OP
X

Xandernfs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Went ahead and purchased an air pump that will be here in two days. I think I'm going to do copper first and then once copper has been completed, if needed, I will use General Cure.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 45 20.6%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 76 34.9%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 72 33.0%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 21 9.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.8%
Back