QT Help-Middle Tenn. Only

ccombs

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have an Bangaii Cardinal that has not responded to Therapeutic Copper or Anti-Biotics and is still showing something that might be velvet (unlikely due to resistance to copper) or brook (current 'working' diagnosis). I know some people love treating fish and that is a passion for them, so I was seeing if anyone would be interested in taking a shot at getting him healed up if I cannot in the next couple of weeks.

Fish is eating and is super active, does not act sick, just covered in these spots. I am not trying to pawn this off on anyone, for the record, I have just been working on this dude for over a month and not seen progress. I would like to try a Chloroquine Phosphate treatment, but so far I cannot find a vet who knows what I am talking about when I try to get a prescription.

If anybody in Middle Tenn. has a passion for this and would like to try their hand at his recovery, I would love to pass him along if it is the right fit.

I am going to keep working on him until I get something figured out, just figured I would see if anybody wants a shot here.

Idoc

Getting lazier and lazier with upkeep!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have any pics of him? It would be rare to have a copper resistant variety of ich, and velvet probably would have killed by now.

I'm in the middle of quarantining a couple leopard wrasses, so my quarantine system isn't going to be available for quite awhile.

OP
OP
ccombs

ccombs

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have any pics of him? It would be rare to have a copper resistant variety of ich, and velvet probably would have killed by now.

I'm in the middle of quarantining a couple leopard wrasses, so my quarantine system isn't going to be available for quite awhile.
https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/qt-cardinal-getting-worse.577528/

All the details are in the post. I am going to keep trying, I just thought it might be worth seeing if anybody wanted a shot.

1 Week Metro
Copper for over a month (it did fall out of therapeutic, but has been back at therapeutic for sure for 2 weeks)
Triple Antibiotic Regimine- Metro-Furan 2-Kanaplex
Ruby Reef Rally Bath
Freshwater Dip

Idoc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/qt-cardinal-getting-worse.577528/

All the details are in the post. I am going to keep trying, I just thought it might be worth seeing if anybody wanted a shot.

1 Week Metro
Copper for over a month (it did fall out of therapeutic, but has been back at therapeutic for sure for 2 weeks)
Triple Antibiotic Regimine- Metro-Furan 2-Kanaplex
Ruby Reef Rally Bath
Freshwater Dip

Im not sure what to tell you. It seems you hit him with everything in the medicine cabinet and it isn't improving.

OP
OP
ccombs

ccombs

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im not sure what to tell you. It seems you hit him with everything in the medicine cabinet and it isn't improving.
I have a call in with a few exotic vets, but they won't get back to me in regards to CP. The tech answering the phone acted like I was crazy haha.

Idoc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a call in with a few exotic vets, but they won't get back to me in regards to CP. The tech answering the phone acted like I was crazy haha.

CP seems to be difficult to get through vets. I've been thinking of giving it a try with online sources. Many are reporting good results.

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a QT setup right now for some other fish. And have 5 nems in cipro, so a little loaded. The fish in QT are just at 30 days in and are about to go to the sterile tank for 2 weeks of observation. If I could talk the wife into it, I could give it a go. I have enough CP left to do a full run in my 10 gallon, which 1 fish would be ok to do. I also have the full run of everything else. Plus if doing QT in a 10g means one of the 40b’s comes down again and makes more room in our office lol.

We can talk at the expo tomorrow and I will talk to the wife tonight. She likes cardinals, so it may be an easy talk.

Also, bring some of the QT water you have and I will check it with my Hanna.

OP
OP
ccombs

ccombs

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a QT setup right now for some other fish. And have 5 nems in cipro, so a little loaded. The fish in QT are just at 30 days in and are about to go to the sterile tank for 2 weeks of observation. If I could talk the wife into it, I could give it a go. I have enough CP left to do a full run in my 10 gallon, which 1 fish would be ok to do. I also have the full run of everything else. Plus if doing QT in a 10g means one of the 40b’s comes down again and makes more room in our office lol.

We can talk at the expo tomorrow and I will talk to the wife tonight. She likes cardinals, so it may be an easy talk.

Also, bring some of the QT water you have and I will check it with my Hanna.
What vet gave you a prescription for CP? If I could figure out that I would get some and try that. I have struck out with a bunch of vets.

Do you plan on checking Copper? If so, I am curious to see how close my salifert test is.

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What vet gave you a prescription for CP? If I could figure out that I would get some and try that. I have struck out with a bunch of vets.

Do you plan on checking Copper? If so, I am curious to see how close my salifert test is.
Our old vet in Chapel Hill wrote the script, but he has since retired. It took a ton of convincing and a walk through of my tanks a few years ago to get him to prescribe it. He was out here giving our calves their shots and I brought it up in a very pestering manner. He did not get why I needed it, so I invited him in, showed him the tanks and then prices of the fish lol. I also showed him my 18” Haddoni and a 4” one that looked like crap in QT. I ended up with a CP and Cipro script that day. I need to check in with the new vet and see if they will write it again, since he wrote it before. I am about to order a magnifica and want cipro in hand, just in case.

As for the Hanna, I will test copper.

OP
OP
ccombs

ccombs

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Our old vet in Chapel Hill wrote the script, but he has since retired. It took a ton of convincing and a walk through of my tanks a few years ago to get him to prescribe it. He was out here giving our calves their shots and I brought it up in a very pestering manner. He did not get why I needed it, so I invited him in, showed him the tanks and then prices of the fish lol. I also showed him my 18” Haddoni and a 4” one that looked like crap in QT. I ended up with a CP and Cipro script that day. I need to check in with the new vet and see if they will write it again, since he wrote it before. I am about to order a magnifica and want cipro in hand, just in case.

As for the Hanna, I will test copper.
I have had a hard time finding a vet that even knows what I am talking about. I even had a source for it and everything.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 4 23.5%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 13 76.5%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 4 23.5%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other

Votes: 2 11.8%
Back