QT Live Rock - What is this?

ScubaFish802

Just keep swimming
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Noticed this guy after turning lights on. It free swims but also grabs onto rocks - seems too big/fast for pods? - second half of video has much clearer image

EDIT: Answer seems to be that it is a bad isopod.

Last edited:

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can’t tell for sure, so hopefully someone else can chime in, but it looks like (based partly off the body shape, but mostly off the eyes at the front) it might be a cirolanid isopod - bad guys for our tanks.

OP
OP
ScubaFish802

ScubaFish802

Just keep swimming
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That was what my initial searches on google turned up as well.. but assuming I was being overly cautious I wanted more opinions.. this AM I also noticed some flat worms on the side of my rock QT bucket.. (not the good casper the ghost one’s either) the rock looks excellent, but not sure I am wanting the bad guys I am seeing as well :grinning-face-with-sweat: I might scrap this round of live rock

OP
OP
ScubaFish802

ScubaFish802

Just keep swimming
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Really tough to get a closer pic without loosing focus
125DA7EA-161C-4C13-ADD6-6C2BDCE9B276.jpeg
17C54CF6-0477-432E-9E34-573C08FACB78.jpeg

Karen00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh ya, that definitely looks like the bad type. It's those angry looking eyes that give them away. Here's a good thread by one of the members.

OP
OP
ScubaFish802

ScubaFish802

Just keep swimming
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh ya, that definitely looks like the bad type. It's those angry looking eyes that give them away. Here's a good thread by one of the members.

Well, that answers that then..
I can confirm it will not roll up like a roly poly, it just starts swimming around really fast until it finds a place to perch, when in a fish net out of water it also did not roll up and stayed fully open

So next step I guess is to clean my net and bucket with a bleach mixture I suppose lol

Karen00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, that answers that then..
I can confirm it will not roll up like a roly poly, it just starts swimming around really fast until it finds a place to perch, when in a fish net out of water it also did not roll up and stayed fully open

So next step I guess is to clean my net and bucket with a bleach mixture I suppose lol
These creepies look like they hopped off an alien spaceship. When you focussed on it in the video I had one of those cringe moments. It's the eyes I tell you, the eyes! LOL

Soren

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It looks like a cirolanid isopod to me and definitely not a keeper if you don't want it feeding on your fish. One came in on my ocean-direct live rock but did not survive the shipping.

OP
OP
ScubaFish802

ScubaFish802

Just keep swimming
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It looks like a cirolanid isopod to me and definitely not a keeper if you don't want it feeding on your fish. One came in on my ocean-direct live rock but did not survive the shipping.
It’s managed to live in the little pint mixer over night, going to dump it after work shortly here and clean everything that touched that water.

SaltyPotato

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My TB saltwater shipment came in with them a month ago. Been fighting since. It’s miserable - goodluck.

belows a good thread I found trying to figure out more about these guys. If the rock isn’t in your tank, I suggest skipping out and taking the loss as fighting isn’t worth it. You can also drop the rock in 1.035 saltwater for 5 minutes and throw the rock in a separate container to observe.

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My TB saltwater shipment came in with them a month ago. Been fighting since. It’s miserable - goodluck.

belows a good thread I found trying to figure out more about these guys. If the rock isn’t in your tank, I suggest skipping out and taking the loss as fighting isn’t worth it. You can also drop the rock in 1.035 saltwater for 5 minutes and throw the rock in a separate container to observe.

From what I am gathering, some hitchhikers are seasonal ; there seem to be a lot more posts about these guys recently, all from live rock maricultured in the gulf.

OP
OP
ScubaFish802

ScubaFish802

Just keep swimming
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

We must have both ordered around the same time!
I actually moved the 5Gal bucket all the rock is in out on the porch a couple of hours ago. I have been monitoring and have seen many more since making this post, some much larger than the original I pictured at the top. I haven't quite dumped it yet just because the rest of the rock looks so good for some reason I am hanging on lol
All my research says it is really hard to eradicate them, I have yet to find a method other than trapping or severely poisoning - accounts of starving them out are inconsistent, some people say 1-3 months, some 3-6 months, some say they can live for over a year without a host. They seem to survive even freshwater for over an hour and come back to life. Really under researched for sure!
IMG_7476.jpg

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 39.8%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 28 21.1%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 36.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back