QT Process for dragonet question

mochaclownlover

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
So I picked up a male ruby red dragonet about 2 ish weeks ago. I have since gotten him weened onto diced frozen mysis and he eats very well. My primary question is how do i go about QTing this guy? I am very big on QT, all my fish go through typically 76 day process (minimum) and corals and inverts about 2 weeks. As of now there are no meds in this tank and I do not see anything to be concerned about externally, but I'd rather be on the safer side and treat proactively. I was going to just do some sort of basic treatment for external parasites for 2-3 weeks, but do have to find a copper alternative. (He is also sharing the tank with an Atlantic sailfin blenny, which also is eating, VERY friendly, and appears to be in good health as well.)

SMSREEF

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I picked up a male ruby red dragonet about 2 ish weeks ago. I have since gotten him weened onto diced frozen mysis and he eats very well. My primary question is how do i go about QTing this guy? I am very big on QT, all my fish go through typically 76 day process (minimum) and corals and inverts about 2 weeks. As of now there are no meds in this tank and I do not see anything to be concerned about externally, but I'd rather be on the safer side and treat proactively. I was going to just do some sort of basic treatment for external parasites for 2-3 weeks, but do have to find a copper alternative. (He is also sharing the tank with an Atlantic sailfin blenny, which also is eating, VERY friendly, and appears to be in good health as well.)
What I am doing with my ruby red dragonette is hybrid tank transfer method. You can Google “Humblefish Hybrid TTM” and you should find the info.

I’m feeding mine baby brine shrimp daily that I hatch. With yours already eating frozen, it should be much easier.

OP
OP
mochaclownlover

mochaclownlover

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
What I am doing with my ruby red dragonette is hybrid tank transfer method. You can Google “Humblefish Hybrid TTM” and you should find the info.

I’m feeding mine baby brine shrimp daily that I hatch. With yours already eating frozen, it should be much easier.
Thanks! I'll check that out! I've read about TTM but never actually done it before

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are you doing for a 76 day qt?

30 days of copper, 6 days in prazi round 1, 6 days prazi round two, two weeks of non medicated observation gets is to 56. Even adding a few days of dwell time between treatments for water changeover and I'm still not sure.

OP
OP
mochaclownlover

mochaclownlover

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
What are you doing for a 76 day qt?

30 days of copper, 6 days in prazi round 1, 6 days prazi round two, two weeks of non medicated observation gets is to 56. Even adding a few days of dwell time between treatments for water changeover and I'm still not sure.
Same schedule, I just usually add a week of metroplex, usually dose a third round of prazi, and just lengthen the non med period to ~three weeks. I get nervous when it comes to adding new fish so the longer I wait to ensure they're healthy the better I feel about adding them

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Same schedule, I just usually add a week of metroplex, usually dose a third round of prazi, and just lengthen the non med period to ~three weeks. I get nervous when it comes to adding new fish so the longer I wait to ensure they're healthy the better I feel about adding them
Gotcha. So it's really an extended schedule in an abundance of caution.

Two mocha storms for ya! One was hiding.
PXL_20220119_000646775.jpg

OP
OP
mochaclownlover

mochaclownlover

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
That stinks,and it was probably the last fish being added too right? Glad the restock plan is going well tho!. #QTstrong

It's that kind of thing that got me to really get into QT. When I first started I would pick healthy fish but they went straight into the tank (granted it was only a 14gal so wouldn't have been awful to get them out). I watched Mr. Saltwater tank A LOT when I was first starting and after seeing what happen to his tank after not QTing really scared me into it (lol). Plus I've helped two friends set up tanks only to have them loose everything because they wouldn't QT their fish....

OP
OP
mochaclownlover

mochaclownlover

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Figured I’d drop some updates on doing HTTM. Both fish took the move pretty well, dragonet is eating, but seems slightly stressed from the move. Blenny could care less, acts like usual, but is breathing a bit heavier than yesterday before the move, so definitely watching that. I’m adding in one extra H2O2 dip on the final day, And then a prazipro treatment. After that the blenny will go through a copper treatment and the dragonet will go into my nano (it is filled with pods) for a final period of observation and food training.

mehaffydr

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I find it odd that you go all out on fish but only 2 weeks with coral and Inverts. Aren't you concerned about Nasty's coming in on those as well. Typically they would go through 76 days of fallow to be sure they are clean?

OP
OP
mochaclownlover

mochaclownlover

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I find it odd that you go all out on fish but only 2 weeks with coral and Inverts. Aren't you concerned about Nasty's coming in on those as well. Typically they would go through 76 days of fallow to be sure they are clean?
I've done longer QTs for corals and inverts before but that typically is when I buy from unknown sources or ones I feel aren't "clean". I also brush, glue, or remove anything pertaining to frags that isn't live tissue, greatly reducing the likeliness of coming in on that. I remember reading a thread pertaining to QT of nems one ich transmission and it was only at 2-3 weeks due to ich not being able to attach to them because of no hard skeleton and figured the same would go for coral tissue, hence removing or covering anything not living. Inverts(essentially just shrimp and hermit crabs), usually 2weeks is enough time for them to go through a molt, which essentially removes any parasites attached to their shells. Hermits are given new shells to move into in a cup prior to addition to QT. If I feel concerned it may not be long enough (which TBH happens 95% of the time) I'll leave them in QT for longer. Does this leave some loop holes? Yeah it does, but I feel the chance for something to get in is extremely unlikely. I treat fish so hard mainly because they would be the primary host for any pathogen.

OP
OP
mochaclownlover

mochaclownlover

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Figured I'd drop an update on this process for anyone else who may be wanting to do something similar. I'm happy to say that both fish have taken all treatments very well, dragonett has continued to eat frozen food(but has not picked up as much weight as I would have hoped) as has the blenny. Neither have had or even shown symptoms of any sorts of diseases or parasites. As of today, they have gone through a full set of HTTM with a extra H2o2 bath and 3 doses of prazipro. The dragonett has been moved to an isolation tank to go through a final HTTM before being added to an established observation tank. The blenny will be going through 30 days of copper power.

The only thing I'm confused about actually has nothing to do with the dragonett but with the blenny. I don't know if he has eyesight issues as he really only eats food if it's dropped very close/on top of him, but other times he'll see me and swim over from across the tank. Now that he's completely on his own I can look into this further.

Back