QT protocol for paired goby / shrimp

azbigjohn

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One of my favorite inhabitants of all reef tanks are the goby with a comensal shrimp. The last set I had I gotten from a fellow reefer, and at that time I was not QTing everything going into my tank.

Obviously, times have changed, and anything hitting my tank us getting QTd and when possible, prophylactically medicated.

I have been eyeing already paired goby/shrimp pairs. If I purchase one, do I just carefully observe? Which QT meds are invert (shrimp) safe?

EmdeReef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
you can try observing for a couple of weeks and then decide whether to treat or treat the goby. Very few meds are safe for shrimp, some will tolerate antibiotics but it’s a gamble IME.

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They will need separate QTs.

Gobies are pretty parasite resistant so you likely won't see any signs of anything in observation, but it could still be a carrier.

OP
OP
azbigjohn

azbigjohn

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They will need separate QTs.

Gobies are pretty parasite resistant so you likely won't see any signs of anything in observation, but it could still be a carrier.

Silly question, but if I am buying a established pair, is separating them "harmful" or will they pair back up?

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

LobsterOfJustice

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The shrimp just needs held in a fishless tank for 76 days or until 1st molting.

Here is what I do with fish (I am aggressive in QT prophylactically):

https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/my-current-qt-process.483371/

Most people don’t do this so this was more of a question for the OP. What I was getting at, is that there is no point in separating them unless you are going to be treating with copper. When I QT, I only prophylactically treat with PraziPro, which is safe with both a sandbed and shrimp. You could always do a dip (fresh water, rally, or formalin; I like formalin) on the goby when you first get him as well, that way they only need to be separated for up to 45 minutes.

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most people don’t do this so this was more of a question for the OP. What I was getting at, is that there is no point in separating them unless you are going to be treating with copper. When I QT, I only prophylactically treat with PraziPro, which is safe with both a sandbed and shrimp. You could always do a dip (fresh water, rally, or formalin; I like formalin) on the goby when you first get him as well, that way they only need to be separated for up to 45 minutes.
What's the point of QT if you only treat with prazi, which is reef safe?

Or you are saying you observe, and then would separate and treat only if necessary?

LobsterOfJustice

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What's the point of QT if you only treat with prazi, which is reef safe?

Or you are saying you observe, and then would separate and treat only if necessary?

Yes, I observe and treat with other meds if necessary. I know that my tank isn’t sterile (I did not hold all rock, coral, and inverts in fish-free QT for 3 months) so there isn’t much point for me to subject every incoming fish to copper. I feel like most people are in this situation.

OP
OP
azbigjohn

azbigjohn

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, I observe and treat with other meds if necessary. I know that my tank isn’t sterile (I did not hold all rock, coral, and inverts in fish-free QT for 3 months) so there isn’t much point for me to subject every incoming fish to copper. I feel like most people are in this situation.

I appreciate your input!

I am starting the tank back up after a move. My remaining fish all went through copper and prazi QT last year, and the tank was started and cycled from scratch.

I fully intend to use @HotRocks QT protocol for anything that hits the tank, so that was my concern with separating them for that period of time.

Building with glass and silicone: Have you ever built a tank or had a custom tank built?

• I have built an aquarium.

Votes: 24 14.5%
  • I have had a custom tank built.

Votes: 36 21.7%
  • I have never built a tank or had a custom tank built.

Votes: 98 59.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.8%
Back