QT QUESTION, ARE MY FISH READY FOR THE DT?

sean rand

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone!
My question is as follows, i have a 20 gallon long qt tank with 3 fish in it, hippo tang yellow tang and a bellus angel. Hippo tang is a year old from my old system that had ick and the bellus and yellow are a month old. I treated everyone with cuppermin for about 10 days and the bellus angel broke out with a bacterial infection. I did a 50% water change and started using furan2-metro-kalaplex for 12 days and the bacterial infection went away. after that treatment i put them back on a full dose of copper for another 10 days and on the 10th day the bellus angel stopped eating. I put them all in a fresh new 20 gallon tank and he started eating again, this was about a week ago and they are doing very well. no sign of ich or any other sickness. Can i consider that the QT treatment is over and put them in my new DT?
I want to point out that the hippo tang had ich over a month ago before i put him in the system and the other 2 fish never showed ich in the full month i had them.

RMS18

I keep water chemistry as my hobby
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone!
My question is as follows, i have a 20 gallon long qt tank with 3 fish in it, hippo tang yellow tang and a bellus angel. Hippo tang is a year old from my old system that had ick and the bellus and yellow are a month old. I treated everyone with cuppermin for about 10 days and the bellus angel broke out with a bacterial infection. I did a 50% water change and started using furan2-metro-kalaplex for 12 days and the bacterial infection went away. after that treatment i put them back on a full dose of copper for another 10 days and on the 10th day the bellus angel stopped eating. I put them all in a fresh new 20 gallon tank and he started eating again, this was about a week ago and they are doing very well. no sign of ich or any other sickness. Can i consider that the QT treatment is over and put them in my new DT?
I want to point out that the hippo tang had ich over a month ago before i put him in the system and the other 2 fish never showed ich in the full month i had them.

I personally wouldn't. 14 days at the recommend dose is the minimum time frame to treat. Breaking it up into two 10 day treatments make me uneasy if you have allowed the stages of ich to totally eradicate out of the tank. I would observe for 2 weeks, or switch out the cupramine for copper power. It will be easier on the angel. I'm a firm believer on 25-30 days of copper, i rather put in the extra time to do it right now then chance it and create more work for myself and 76 days of being fallow in DT.

ngoodermuth

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree, I usually do a full 14 days of copper at the very least... followed by a transfer to a clean QT (without lowering copper) The 10 days is just a bit short...

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If the fish were transferred from therapeutic copper to a clean sterile tank after 10 days fully therapeutic, they should be clean. I would observe them for no less than 14 days.

OP
OP
S

sean rand

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks guys, still not sure what to do, i will def observe them for another week or so before transferring. im just getting burned out of fish dying in qt, these fish r doing very well eating like pigs and totally spotless

ngoodermuth

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
^ If @HotRocks thinks it’s likely ok with two weeks of observation, I’d say it’s good enough for me.

Just keep in mind, that’s assuming the level didn’t drop below therapeutic at all during those 10 days, for water changes etc.

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just keep in mind, that’s assuming the level didn’t drop below therapeutic at all during those 10 days, for water changes etc.
Correct, this is critical^

OP
OP
S

sean rand

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks guys, still not sure what to do, i will def observe them for another week or so before transferring. im just getting burned out of fish dying in qt, these fish r doing very well eating like pigs and totally spotless
I spoke to soon. SMH. I came home and my hippo tang has this weird white stuff on him. Its not icky. I gave him a FW dip and flukes came off. Going to treat him with prazi. How often can he handle a FW bath?

Frtdrmrose7

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I spoke to soon. SMH. I came home and my hippo tang has this weird white stuff on him. Its not icky. I gave him a FW dip and flukes came off. Going to treat him with prazi. How often can he handle a FW bath?

Is he strong? As long as he’s in overall good shape I would do one every 3 days or as needed if he is infested with flukes.

OP
OP
S

sean rand

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is he strong? As long as he’s in overall good shape I would do one every 3 days or as needed if he is infested with flukes.
Not alot came off.he has what looks like "velvet" but I'm almost 100% sure it's not. U can only see it when hes on a angle. If you look straight at him u dint see anything. Very weird. Cant get a proper pic

Frtdrmrose7

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not alot came off.he has what looks like "velvet" but I'm almost 100% sure it's not. U can only see it when hes on a angle. If you look straight at him u dint see anything. Very weird. Cant get a proper pic
What are the chances your copper went sub-therapeutic during treatment? You didn’t do 14 days did you? I’d be cautious I’m on a second round of copper with two wrasses because velvet got through 14 days of copper. If you think it looks like velvet it probably is.

OP
OP
S

sean rand

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I
What are the chances your copper went sub-therapeutic during treatment? You didn’t do 14 days did you? I’d be cautious I’m on a second round of copper with two wrasses because velvet got through 14 days of copper. If you think it looks like velvet it probably is.
They were never in a 14 day straight treatment of copper.
I dosed prazi and I just did a half dose of copper. I have a air head and a power head in there for circulation. SMH.

Frtdrmrose7

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I

They were never in a 14 day straight treatment of copper.
I dosed prazi and I just did a half dose of copper. I have a air head and a power head in there for circulation. SMH.

I suspect you’ll need to do a full 14 days of copper then transfer to a sterile tank or a full 30 days with no transfer.

OP
OP
S

sean rand

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feel you, I’m doing it also
Here u go. I'm still convinced its not velvet.
Do. I could be wrong

20190305_203933.jpg

ngoodermuth

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What about brook? Have you treated with metroplex at all? It does kind of look like velvet, but brook can look similar in the early stages as well... and can be suppressed by copper (but not eliminated)

Frtdrmrose7

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any other symptoms? Breathing fast? Swimming into a powerhead? Sensitivity to light? Flashing?

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 23 29.1%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 30 38.0%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 20 25.3%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 5 6.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.3%
Back