QT question

Hnguyen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Attached is my QT setup. It's a 40g breeder with a bean animal overflow and seaside skimmer rated for 300 gallon tank. I also put in a marine pure block that's been in my DT for the last 5 months.

My question is: can I go without water changes if I can maintain the tank at zero ammonia and keep all other parameters in check? I' doing copper treatment on my fish at the moment and plan to only QT 3-4 fish at a time to keep the bioload down in the QT. Once these guys are done with their treatment, I plan to add another 3-4 fish to QT again.
31b703d6e6a2decb6c21ee332b0f72a0.jpg

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Attached is my QT setup. It's a 40g breeder with a bean animal overflow and seaside skimmer rated for 300 gallon tank. I also put in a marine pure block that's been in my DT for the last 5 months.

My question is: can I go without water changes if I can maintain the tank at zero ammonia and keep all other parameters in check? I' doing copper treatment on my fish at the moment and plan to only QT 3-4 fish at a time to keep the bioload down in the QT. Once these guys are done with their treatment, I plan to add another 3-4 fish to QT again.
I normally do not do a water change when doing QT except as required when using a medication. Some med's recommend a water change after treatment.

pdxmonkeyboy

Sticks!! Give me the sticks!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't do water changes either..unless I mean something up. with a skimmer though you can totally forget about doing them as it will keep your nitrates in line.

one thing I just learned.. the hanna cooper meter is totally awesome. it is soooooo hard to get a reliable reading with the little wet stick and powder method.

Tanggy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

That’s a pretty sweet QT setup

pdxmonkeyboy

Sticks!! Give me the sticks!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
totally sweet QT!!

if you have a reef tank, use it to QT your corals!!

it is amazing what can come in on frags and rocks. I got ich in my tank from a group of acans on cultured rock....

I also discovered a bristle worm the other day and I started my tank with dry rock that I acid dipped and bleached....

Dr. Reef

www.drreefsquarantinedfish.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No water change for me either during medication. After treatment yes.

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 17 32.1%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 2 3.8%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 11 20.8%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 19 35.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 7.5%
Back