QT question

adamsjus002

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I just introduced two Picasso clowns to my 29gal system. Shortly after, introduced some inverts. One of my clowns took a quick fall from brook. It all went down within a day. Needless to say, I lost one of my first fish in the hobby. As of now I have a QT tank setup and the remaining clown has been given a rally pro bath and is now in the sterile QT tank. Would it be smart to start dosing copper into the QT tank? And a further question. Would it be a bad idea to get a replacement clown and start QT treatment and have them both in the same QT until my fallow period ends? Any input would be greatly appreciated. it's been a rough start to the hobby. :anxious-face-with-sweat:

Eric Cohen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I just introduced two Picasso clowns to my 29gal system. Shortly after, introduced some inverts. One of my clowns took a quick fall from brook. It all went down within a day. Needless to say, I lost one of my first fish in the hobby. As of now I have a QT tank setup and the remaining clown has been given a rally pro bath and is now in the sterile QT tank. Would it be smart to start dosing copper into the QT tank? And a further question. Would it be a bad idea to get a replacement clown and start QT treatment and have them both in the same QT until my fallow period ends? Any input would be greatly appreciated. it's been a rough start to the hobby. :anxious-face-with-sweat:
Don't feel bad. Clownfish are so prone to getting Brook....if you don't qt them or buy them from a source that has qt'd them then you're doomed unless you do it yourself. Go for it and qt them both together....you can get another one and just delay the length of your qt from the moment you have both in the qt system together. I have good experience using Chloroquine phosphate (CP) for your clownfish.....copper is good too, but maybe not as effective. Do some research and follow your best judgment. Good luck!

OP
OP
A

adamsjus002

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I've been treating my remaining clown with Rally once per day as directed on the bottle. And it seems to not be doing much. It makes the symptoms go away temporarily but they keep coming back. Symptoms include white spots and labored breathing. Could it be possible that this is velvet and not brook? Should I start dosing copper into the QT?

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome.

Any chance you could post a picture, or better yet, a short video? Copper doesn't treat brook.

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I've been treating my remaining clown with Rally once per day as directed on the bottle. And it seems to not be doing much. It makes the symptoms go away temporarily but they keep coming back. Symptoms include white spots and labored breathing. Could it be possible that this is velvet and not brook? Should I start dosing copper into the QT?
That surely is possible. Let's get a good ID on the issue first.

Pictures under white lights from multiple angles are good. At least a 30 second clear video under white lights of the animal is better.

OP
OP
A

adamsjus002

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Pictures under white lights from multiple angles are good. At least a 30 second clear video under white lights of the animal is better.
Excuse me for not knowing. How do I post videos or pictures on here?

OP
OP
A

adamsjus002

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

My bad I’m just a smooth brain. Here’s a video.

Attachments

• IMG_3692.MOV
    52 MB
OP
OP
A

adamsjus002

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How did the cycle go? How old is the tank?
Cycle was fast, I used live sand, live rock and bottled bacteria. Parameters are solid. Tank is probably about a month old. Fish were fine for about a week, then one of them fell quickly to what I assume is most likely ick or velvet but my vision is not the best and most of these ailments have similar symptoms so it's been hard for me to identify what it is. I assumed it was brook because that's what I've read is super common in clowns. But now I'm thinking it might be velvet or ick.

OP
OP
A

adamsjus002

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nothing good happens fast in this hobby. Slow down is my recommendation.
1000%, I'm more than willing to be patient. It was by someone else's recommendation that I added fish to the tank. Now my tank will be fallow for however long depending on what the issue is.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back