QT tank help

austenreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all, my tank is suffering from ich and I need to get rid of it. I am going to do an 8 week period with no fish in the tank. It’s a 55 gallon tank with a pair of clowns, a yellow wrasse, watchman goby, scooter blemmy, 4 green chromis, a Halichoeres wrasse, and a firefish goby. I don’t want to get a big QT tank because I won’t need it in the future, so I was thinking of getting 2 10 gallon tanks and getting rid of one of them once the 8 weeks is over and move forward with one. My fish are dropping like flies so I need some advice! What is the quickest way to get these 2 tanks ready? ASAP! I was planning on using filter sponges for media and getting PVC corners for hiding and a heater and calling it a day. Is this enough? What can I do to get this cycled as soon as possible? Any tips and advice are much appreciated!

OP
OP
austenreefer

austenreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Iv read online that copper will kill beneficial bacteria, does that mean that the QT tank doesn’t need to cycle? I don’t have time to do a daily water change for 8 weeks unfortunately so that can’t be an option

ProfessorAronnax

Conscientious Marine Aquarist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Go to petco and grab yourself a 40 breeder or 55 (dollar a gallon sale right now). My qt system runs an aqua clear HOB filter (for ease of cleaning and efficiency) an Aqueon heater and a small cheap powerhead. (All from the big box place). As far as having the QT system ready for fish- dump in about half a bottle of IO biospera to add a rapid biofilter. I'd even add a half a cap everyday after. As far as water changes go- I only water change every other day.
I really hope this helps. I too am going through ich.

OP
OP
austenreefer

austenreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Go to petco and grab yourself a 40 breeder or 55 (dollar a gallon sale right now). My qt system runs an aqua clear HOB filter (for ease of cleaning and efficiency) an Aqueon heater and a small cheap powerhead. (All from the big box place). As far as having the QT system ready for fish- dump in about half a bottle of IO biospera to add a rapid biofilter. I'd even add a half a cap everyday after. As far as water changes go- I only water change every other day.
I really hope this helps. I too am going through ich.
Hey! I got my tanks with sponge filters and PVC corners for hiding. I have a bottle of Seachem stability but the bottle says to only do one capful. Should I do more for some quicker seeding? And should daily water changes be enough to keep ammonia out of the tank?

ProfessorAronnax

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey! I got my tanks with sponge filters and PVC corners for hiding. I have a bottle of Seachem stability but the bottle says to only do one capful. Should I do more for some quicker seeding? And should daily water changes be enough to keep ammonia out of the tank?
The Stability establishes a bio filter relatively slowly compared to the biospera. But if its what you've got then use it. I've added double the amount to QT and not had any ill effects. A daily water change will certainly keep ammonia down! I do water changes every other day but that's just me.

SinCityRee4r

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I recommend copper power it is less toxic to your fish. Get yourself a hannah cu checker too. Over a few days dose up to 2.5ppm leave it there for 28 days. This is the duration of the ich cycle. Do a large water change. Wait a week do another large water change. Then observe for the remaining duration. Make sure if you do not have a cycled tank you watch and test ammonia and do water changes and redose as required. Good luck. I have been through it. Never again I QT everything now

ProfessorAronnax

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recommend copper power it is less toxic to your fish. Get yourself a hannah cu checker too. Over a few days dose up to 2.5ppm leave it there for 28 days. This is the duration of the ich cycle. Do a large water change. Wait a week do another large water change. Then observe for the remaining duration. Make sure if you do not have a cycled tank you watch and test ammonia and do water changes and redose as required. Good luck. I have been through it. Never again I QT everything now
Like you, I will never again NOT QT a fish...

SinCityRee4r

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
It was a sad day velvet took out 10 0f my 14 6yo fish. Catching who I could in my 120G was a feat in itself just to start the QT process :)

OP
OP
austenreefer

austenreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s not cycled so whenever I dose I’ll have to watch the ammonia and most likely do water changes and redose.... unfortunately I didn’t have time to properly cycle the sponge filter or anything because the fish were dropping like flies.

phatduckk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You could buy some Seachem matrix and pour bio-spira all over it to give the bacteria some surface area to colonize. Otherwise a Seachem ammonia alert badge will help with some of the ammonia checking but don’t take it as gospel and make sure to check with a test kit as well

OP
OP
austenreefer

austenreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks guys! They are set up. The new home for 8 weeks.

10C945AA-32CA-4A76-A148-92ACDE65AD44.jpeg

tonydig11

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I always have mesh sacks of cycled ceramic rings ready to go for both Fresh and salt tanks just in case.

OP
OP
austenreefer

austenreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I always have mesh sacks of cycled ceramic rings ready to go for both Fresh and salt tanks just in case.
I’m going to buy a new filter sponge once the 8 week fishless period is over and leave it in my DT for future fish. As of right now, I’ll just have to do daily water changes.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 63 36.6%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 34.3%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 24 14.0%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 15.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back