Qt tank

Callum121

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all I'm looking to get fish online but I want to qt them before adding to my dt I have a 54l tank with 2 airstones and a heater setup with salt water at 1.026 bare bottom tank is there anything else I need

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You need the tank cycled in some way (i.e. via bottle bacteria, live rock, live filter media, etc.), and if you want a sand-sleeping wrasse, then you’ll want a bowl of sand too (if you’re treating the fish with copper, then you’ll need silica/quartz sand, not calcium carbonate sand).

OP
OP
Callum121

Callum121

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You need the tank cycled in some way (i.e. via bottle bacteria, live rock, live filter media, etc.), and if you want a sand-sleeping wrasse, then you’ll want a bowl of sand too (if you’re treating the fish with copper, then you’ll need silica/quartz sand, not calcium carbonate sand).
Can't run live Rock as it will be a qt tank so medicationn ect will be going in and I know live rock messes with copper they will only be in there couple weeks just to make sure no illness as I lost a few recently to ich

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can't run live Rock as it will be a qt tank so medicationn ect will be going in and I know live rock messes with copper they will only be in there couple weeks just to make sure no illness as I lost a few recently to ich
Yeah, for a medicated QT you’d need a different cycling method.

Regardless, if you’re treating for an ich outbreak in your DT, you’ll need to QT for longer than a couple of weeks (the ich will still be in your DT after a couple of weeks, so the fish will just get sick again when you put them back in) - you’ll need to run the DT fallow (i.e. without any fish) for a minimum of 45 days at 81F (the temperature is important) to get rid of the ich. 60-76 days is the current recommendation given to be safe, particularly if the DT’s temperature is lower than 81F.

OP
OP
Callum121

Callum121

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah no I know about that but I'm not purchasing just yet I have the tank still going but was looking at qt first for the new fish before as I know it will be couple weeks before they could move

RedoubtReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Get a sponge filter and place it in your tank for a week or two then move it to the QT tank and use a Seachem ammonia badge to monitor ammonia. You can find sponge filter online for less than $10 on amazon or a local pet store for maybe slightly more. You should also have Prazipro on hand at a minimum as well as a copper treatment and a test kit for copper. Any cheap fresh water aquarium light will work for lighting.

OP
OP
Callum121

Callum121

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got a sponge filter in my sump ATM so just a Ammonia badge needed and fish I want can't undergo copper treatments long horn box fish is whats going in the qt

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Replace those air stone with air powered sponge filter. Put them in your display or sump until your new fish come and they should have enough bacteria or film on them to process ammonia/ammonium before your fish get here.

Anything for the fish to hide is necessary, IMO. I would also paint the back and side of the tank so that they fish feel more secure.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 46 16.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 18 6.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 35 12.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 159 57.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 6.8%
Back